Liberty Bowl postgame thread

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Jeff Myers is in his first season as offensive line coach at Memphis in 2023. Head coach Ryan Silverfield announced the hiring of Myers on Jan. 8, 2023. Myers came to the Tigers after spending the last seven seasons at Iowa State, five as offensive line coach. In 2019, Myers was listed in 247Sports' "30Under30" as one of the top rising stars in the profession.

“We are very excited to hire Jeff Myers as our offensive line coach,” Silverfield said at the time of his hiring. “He will do a wonderful job relating to our players and maximizing their potential. Coach Myers’ passion and knowledge will be displayed for our OL and entire program.”

I guess I’d like to hear CMC expound on how two people he judged to be unworthy of our program could steal our lunch money the way Scates and Myers did this afternoon. C’mon man - Meyers lost two OL starters to the portal and still had his guys ready to bully ISU. Scates looked like the 4 star WR we recruited but were unable to assimilate into our vaunted culture.
Clanton is a better OL coach. It shouldn’t be debatable but I agree that today was a disaster.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
How bad was Oregon to lose to Campbell in a bowl game?

I'll give you credit; this is only the 2nd dumbest thing you've written on this site. First place is still your demand for TJ to be fired within a week of his hiring because he retained the current head coach of Cleveland State on his staff.

Reactions: Cyched and 1UNI2ISU

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think people are taking “meaningless” too literally. They are meaningless in the fact that it’s just a game in an isolated season in which you are not playing for a national championship (in the CFP). They are fun to win and the teams are trying to win when they are on the field. But the result of the game has zero bearing on the following season. I mean we lost to Rutgers and Tulsa in bowl games yet somehow have been just fine and made a Big 12 Championship years later. On the flip side we beat Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl and had the entire team back. Yet did nothing the next season.
How else am I supposed to take it? The game is either meaningless or it’s not.

We had one guy sit out. He is a good one, but that one guy does not block. Never has in a Cyclone uniform. We had zero rushing yards against an AAC team with an interim DC. Zero.

I mean…I get that I’m not going to convince you (or others who share your opinion) to completely change how you think. I’m really not trying to. I do believe it’s disingenuous to act as though it’s ok because it happened in an “exhibition”.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The culture good. The staff is good at getting effort

Without that we get boatraced once down 19 in a road game in the middle of winter

They’re just very average at development, and bad at details.
I think development they are pretty good minus the o-line (which is a spot you do not want to be poor at developing) BUT spot on with the details to be a truly great team.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
"Losing to a G5" team is technically correct but disrespectable and not accurate the way it is brought up. We lost to Memphis, one of the top teams that happens to be in a G5 conference.
Is this serious or sarcasim?

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I mean he’s right. If you somehow lose to New Hampshire your tournament chances take a massive hit come March. Winning or losing the Liberty Bowl is just winning or losing the Liberty Bowl. It’s been shown time and time again there is virtually zero correlation to how you do in your bowl game and the result of next season. I mean hell we know it firsthand after winning the Fiesta Bowl, getting a top-10 preseason ranking with the entire team back and then doing nothing with it.
You're right, let's stop supporting the team and school in bowl games.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
When have we ever won in the margins???
that-was-the-joke-anthony-vincent.gif

• Sad
Reactions: chadly82

JP4CY

Doesn't quickly stand up when the plane lands.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
KU plays in a high school stadium, and they have way more money than ISU. You know why they have way more money than ISU? It ain't from football. If Cambell stays at ISU and we get 5-8 wins every year, that's ok, because that is about all ISU can afford. We will get plenty of football money just from being in the Big 12 (and we are not going to get kicked out if we aren't really good in football). Where is the money going to come from to try and compete with the Texas teams, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Okie State and the Arizonas in football? It isn't there. We need to lean heavy on basketball.
KU actually gets A TON of money from their med school alumni and the younger generation wants to win in football now.

Look, I get your donate to basketball sentiment but we need a good football balance, that's what I'm saying. It's still the big earner.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
“Jeff Myers is in his first season as offensive line coach at Memphis in 2023. Head coach Ryan Silverfield announced the hiring of Myers on Jan. 8, 2023. Myers came to the Tigers after spending the last seven seasons at Iowa State, five as offensive line coach. In 2019, Myers was listed in 247Sports' "30Under30" as one of the top rising stars in the profession.

“We are very excited to hire Jeff Myers as our offensive line coach,” Silverfield said at the time of his hiring. “He will do a wonderful job relating to our players and maximizing their potential. Coach Myers’ passion and knowledge will be displayed for our OL and entire program.”

I guess I’d like to hear CMC expound on how two people he judged to be unworthy of our program could steal our lunch money the way Scates and Myers did this afternoon. C’mon man - Meyers lost two OL starters to the portal and still had his guys ready to bully ISU. Scates looked like the 4 star WR we recruited but were unable to assimilate into our vaunted culture.

Expanding on that, perhaps Golesh, Manning, and Myers weren’t the problem?

How thankful is Golesh he left? It is tough to progress as an offensive coach under CMC

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
Almost as embarrassing as the loss was CMC’s half time quote of them having an interim defensive coordinator so we couldn’t adequately prepare as we didn’t know what they would do. That’s a ******* pathetic excuse.

Yes, we’re a young team and there was growth this season, but it’s absolutely unacceptable for any Big 12 team to lose to G5 teams twice in a season.

I understand the excuse people say of - it doesn’t really matter, it’s basically an exhibition game. But recruits watch these games. Portal prospects watch these game. Possible donors watch these games. Possible season ticket buyers watch these games. Position coaches make career decisions partially based on a program building them up or embarrassing them.

Our recruiting has not taken the step it needs to take and our lack of ability to get needed positions via the Portal only further hurts those things in the future. If you’re a recruit prospect and you’re looking at what team can compete for a conference title, be competitive every game, and develop you for the future, games like this can cause serious pause.

The sky isn’t falling, but there has been zero momentum built off of the Fiesta Bowl season and games like today when the eyes are on you start to create narratives for opposing recruiters.
Agree

Campbell has done some great things obviously for ISU. Team has won more consistently, has players starting in NFL roles. But losing games like this hurts recruiting and shows ISU margin for error is still thin based on talent and I worry about game planning from coaches.

It's almost like ISU cares more about developing players than winning games. You could argue Coach talks like that to take heat off players after loses but it's not clear always.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't remember hearing bowl games being referred to as exhibitions as much as I have on this board today. I always thought teams wanted to win them. Hmmm
I’m sure the team wants to win, they’re competitive people and nobody likes to lose, but it’s still a game that means nothing.

• Dislike
  • Creative
Reactions: 1776 and INTENSE_CY

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
How else am I supposed to take it? The game is either meaningless or it’s not.

We had one guy sit out. He is a good one, but that one guy does not block. Never has in a Cyclone uniform. We had zero rushing yards against an AAC team with an interim DC. Zero.

I mean…I get that I’m not going to convince you (or others who share your opinion) to completely change how you think. I’m really not trying to. I do believe it’s disingenuous to act as though it’s ok because it happened in an “exhibition”.
The way you take it is not getting over emotional because your team lost. I used to be that way and it’s so unhealthy and just not worth it. But especially for a bowl game. Cheer and hope to God we win the game because hell yes it’s much more fun to win them than to lose them. But if we lose, like today, you say, “Welp we lost. Next season still comes around and we cheer like hell again and roll with it because that’s what we can do.” What’s stewing about it going to do for you? Seriously.

Unless you are absolutely loaded to go buy some serious talent then there’s no use being so upset it ruins your day. You can be upset we lost, I was too because I wanted to see these guys win a game. But when it was over, well, my life is still my life and tomorrow none of this matters.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ironically, at a time when bowl game mean less than ever to fans, they mean more than ever for the huge Portal season that coincides with it. We’re already struggling to pull in guys that are picking between North Dakota and us. Selling them on coming to Ames after showings like that get a lot more difficult.

Or does it? If they think they are good they should see plenty of opportunities available.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think development they are pretty good minus the o-line (which is a spot you do not want to be poor at developing) BUT spot on with the details to be a truly great team.
Purdy didn’t develop (given his dad, I’m optimistic Rocco will)

WR development has been poor.

OL woefully bad

Defense definitely develops guys, that’s true.

This staff knows defense. They don’t know offense imo, just trying to follow a recipe

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Yes. An interim DC. Perfect 1st game for him. An extremely predictable offense. Most Iowa high school defensive coordinators could shut down ISU.
Ah, I read that as ISU having an interim DC. yeesh. What a joke