Liberty Bowl postgame thread

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
The game against New Hampshire on Sunday is more important than this one.

I cannot imagine the concept of being embarrassed by a game played by people you don't know.
I am not embarrassed but they represent Iowa State, right?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That’s fine I guess- better than the alternative. I really encourage you and others to read the Dabo Swinney article on ESPN about fans and unhinged expectations though. There’s something to be said for having realistic expectations and appropriate responses to losses.
There's a huge difference between people coming at Dabo and people wanting us to look like we practice for games.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That’s fine I guess- better than the alternative. I really encourage you and others to read the Dabo Swinney article on ESPN about fans and unhinged expectations though. There’s something to be said for having realistic expectations and appropriate responses to losses.

How much money does Dabo and his football boys make? This ain't division 3.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
"I Tried" ribbons gift bags all around!
Seriously, why is it worth more than this? Serious question - if Rocco tore his ACL going for the game winning TD in this game and couldn’t start the year next season, would you think it was worth it? Or if your kid got a concussion in this game? I get that the game has to feel real enough to be entertaining…but it’s hard to convince me this means much…

• Dumb
Reactions: WartburgClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
@CycloneSpinning just because you are ok with mediocrity doesn’t mean the rest of us has to be. Some of us wish for our university to evolve and get better. I was happy with the season, but today’s game had the same red flags that we were concerned about earlier in the season and in some cases for the entirety of CMC’s tenure (OL)

What do you think needs to happen? And what will change?

Reactions: jctisu

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the general college football fan has already forgotten about this mid level bowl game and they didn’t care at all about ISU losing to a G5 school. They’re now looking forward to the Cotton Bowl.

It’s really not as bad of a look as people think it is
Ironically, at a time when bowl game mean less than ever to fans, they mean more than ever for the huge Portal season that coincides with it. We’re already struggling to pull in guys that are picking between North Dakota and us. Selling them on coming to Ames after showings like that get a lot more difficult.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
There's a huge difference between people coming at Dabo and people wanting us to look like we practice for games.
Take the 30,000 foot view and I think you’ll see there isn’t. Same types of people, same views…rooting for different colored jerseys.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The game against New Hampshire on Sunday is more important than this one.

I cannot imagine the concept of being embarrassed by a game played by people you don't know.

Yet for the foreseeable future it seems ISU fans will all be asked over and over to give more and more to those same people they don't know to play said game.

Reactions: cymac2408

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Seriously, why is it worth more than this? Serious question - if Rocco tore his ACL going for the game winning TD in this game and couldn’t start the year next season, would you think it was worth it? Or if your kid got a concussion in this game? I get that the game has to feel real enough to be entertaining…but it’s hard to convince me this means much…
Maybe the NCAA should just cancel bowl games and only have a 12 team tournament moving forward?
Seems that nobody cares, half the good players don't play.
or maybe they just have a 12 team playoff and then the rest of the teams are free to schedule a flag football game with another school that didn't make the playoffs at the destination of their choice allowing fans to come and cheer them on for a couple days.

all joking aside, if nobody cares and good players opt out, i really question the need for the games.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
What do people expect from this program going forward? My expectations are 7+ wins each season with a 9+ win season every 4 or 5 years. This season’s team won 7 games while losing their starting QB, RB, TE, and OL right before the season started. The team showed growth during the year. They will only get bigger, faster, stronger for next year as the majority of the snap counts came from underclassmen.

I enjoyed watching this team. And I think they will be exciting to watch for the next couple years.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yet for the foreseeable future it seems ISU fans will all be asked over and over to give more and more to those same people they don't know to play said game.
Nobody is robbing you at gunpoint to give money.