SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
"Walking Cy"...end discussion.

cnqjqszrpgnfa3xfvl3e.png

DBQ

Jul 9, 2013
I would much rather have a brand logo that we have had for years than a new one every few years. Most great teams have logos that have never changed. Alabama, Texas, USC, Miami, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Penn State, and Oklahoma have all stayed the same to represent the tradition that they have had and remember the players who wore that logo.

I think that's exactly what Jamie Pollard was going for with the whole "branding" redesign--something that would be timeless and memorable. I think the challenge is that the ship's already sailed...the "classic" logos right now have all been around for a long time, and no matter how successful we are with ours, it will never have the longevity and brand recognition as the Notre Dame symbol or the Longhorn.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
love love love this logo. i want it on helmets, jerseys, and my ankle. i like it better than I-State.

Yeah, I like this one the best too. It's new and modern, but not canned to imitate other programs like the I-State logo is (see Ohio State for one), and it still has some unique character to it. I mean it's not perfect, but it's better than the other ones we use now.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
I think that's exactly what Jamie Pollard was going for with the whole "branding" redesign--something that would be timeless and memorable. I think the challenge is that the ship's already sailed...the "classic" logos right now have all been around for a long time, and no matter how successful we are with ours, it will never have the longevity and brand recognition as the Notre Dame symbol or the Longhorn.

Yep. We're too late to hit the golden, classic style correctly, and never had the history to match it. If anyone thinks we're keeping the USC lookalike uniforms that we have now past when Pollard leaves, they've got another thing coming. Thats why I'd love to see the JT uniform adapted (maybe not exactly true to the ones we have now, but use them as inspiration) and used permanently, because it's different.

Instead of fading into the background by trying to embrace a history we don't have, we should look forward and make a new style to turn heads.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I hope the current logo and color scheme never leaves...it is great. No more stupid twisty butt birds or lame twisters.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
For those saying we should stick with one and be "timeless" like Alabama, Texas, w/e:

We are not timeless. We are not a historical powerhouse. We have changed logos throughout the years and we will continue to change logos. Stop trying to fight history and embrace it.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Personally, I think the I State logo is a great logo for the university. That doesn't mean alternate logos can be explored. For example, look at Michigan--they have the block M, but their helmet has an entirely different design. I would be in favor of keeping the I State logo as the primary, a version of Cy, and adding a cyclone design of some kind for specific applications. I'm currently noodling around with a cyclone helmet design or two...

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Personally, I think the I State logo is a great logo for the university. That doesn't mean alternate logos can be explored. For example, look at Michigan--they have the block M, but their helmet has an entirely different design. I would be in favor of keeping the I State logo as the primary, a version of Cy, and adding a cyclone design of some kind for specific applications. I'm currently noodling around with a cyclone helmet design or two...
I have wanted to see an ISU helmet that has a tornado design similar to the Oregon duck wings. I think it could look awesome with a matte black or cardinal and a metallic cardinal design. I would try to make one myself, but my artistic skills are completely lacking.

DBQ

Jul 9, 2013

And Michigan can get away with it because, well, they're Michigan. They've had the same basic look for a century, and everyone knows it's Michigan when they see it. Same thing with Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama...they don't need markings on their helmets or uniforms because everyone knows who they are; they've built that brand over decades and decades of winning and growing.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't aspire to decades and decades of winning and growing, but it we tried something like Michigan, people would see us and not have a clue who we are. There needs to be some sort of logo, and preferable, some sort of logo with a word mark. What we have right now is perfect.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Alabama doesn't bother with Crimson Tide, but instead uses their A logo or that elephant; Miami doesn't promote Hurricanes much, just uses their U logo along with the Ibis; I don't see OSU or Michigan promote buckeye nuts or wolverine animals much in their logos either.

This!!!

i love the current logo and don't care if we have historical success.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Always hated that barrell-chested Cy. Too much like Bucky Badger. The Cy head with the whirling oval has grown on me some thought.

I agree 100%! Some people call that one "fat Cy" or "Steroid Cy". Very ugly...one of the worst logo's of Cy, ever.

:sad:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
josh, is that your wife modeling the ISU baseball tshirt on your site?

... and hoping those stadium blankets are ready for cold weather in a few weeks.

Last edited:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
We need some College of Design students/alum or anyone with some creativity to post some new designs in the spirit of this thread. I like the '84 tornado logo but it could use a more modern "twist."

Help Support Us

Become a patron