Let's take a crack at ranking Big 12 basketball ...

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The conference's average RPI rating at the end of last season was 0.58602.
The conference's average RPI rating is currently 0.59544.

Higher is better in this calculation.

If you can objectively say that the Big 12 is better than last year, your're high. As ****. It's not nearly the same. And metrics are based on what? All D1 college basketball teams. So, if the college game is down some this year, comparing last year's metrics to this year's doesn't tell an accurate story.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We're 4th because that's how bad the conference is this season. I said this a few weeks ago and caught some crap for it, but at this point in the season, it's pretty obvious that the Big 12 is down and pretty far from what it was the last few seasons.

giphy.gif

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If you can objectively say that the Big 12 is better than last year, your're high. As ****. It's not nearly the same. And metrics are based on what? All D1 college basketball teams. So, if the college game is down some this year, comparing last year's metrics to this year's doesn't tell an accurate story.

Your entire premise is based on something you can't prove. Even if it is true, Big 12 teams don't have to play last year's versions of other teams.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Your entire premise is based on something you can't prove. Even if it is true, Big 12 teams don't have to play last year's versions of other teams.

Maybe not, but I can look at things like how many Big 12 teams are ranked in the top 25 compared to last year. Again, we're down to 4 from 7. That's a pretty good indicator.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It tells the story that the big 12 is again one of if not the strongest conference.

I think you would be wise to look at all of the conferences and try to find ines better.

Some of you tend to see only the bad in our school/conference and then pretend that the other ones don't have flaws. For example based on the reaction of Iowa state fans we should have shut down the season, kicked the team to the curb, and fired prohm for losing to Iowa. But Purdue did the same thing. So do they suck too? They must. And then what does that say about the big 10?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Maybe not, but I can look at things like how many Big 12 teams are ranked in the top 25 compared to last year. Again, we're down to 4 from 7. That's a pretty good indicator.

That's one metric the Big 12 is down in and it's extemely subjective. Here's another metric they're up in compared to last year: BPI.

BPI average at the end of last season: 48.5
BPI average currently: 35.1

The lower number is better in this rating.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The Top of the Big XII was superior last year with a bunch of talent that has left. However, the bottom is much better this year. So in the aggregate it may be better but it won't look that way because the top is often the only teams that get seen nationally.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
That's one metric the Big 12 is down in and it's extemely subjective. Here's another metric they're up in compared to last year: BPI.

BPI average at the end of last season: 48.5
BPI average currently: 35.1

The lower number is better in this rating.

While it may be subjective, it's obvious that ISU, OU and Texas aren't nearly as good as they were last season. That's indisputable. These 3 teams being down hurts the conference strength overall, especially because that's nearly a third of the conference.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
While it may be subjective, it's obvious that ISU, OU and Texas aren't nearly as good as they were last season. That's indisputable. These 3 teams being down hurts the conference strength overall, especially because that's nearly a third of the conference.

Baylor, OSU, KSU, TT, and TCU are all better. Five teams being better out weighs three teams being worse.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Not sure where you pulled these numbers from. Last year, Kansas, Oklahoma, Baylor, West Virginia, Iowa State and Texas were the six teams that were ranked in the AP Poll at some point in th season. That's six.

This year, Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, Iowa State and Kansas State have been ranked at some point. That's five and there are lots of games and polls still to go.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
We're 4th because that's how bad the conference is this season. I said this a few weeks ago and caught some crap for it, but at this point in the season, it's pretty obvious that the Big 12 is down and pretty far from what it was the last few seasons.
I kinda agree to a certain extent. OU and Texas proved how bad they were in the nonconferene, TCU, Tech, KSU, and us all proved nothing out of conference. It's a balanced league, but it isn't the best. I don't think the conference will do much in March as it hasn't for last 10+ years.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Some of you need to back away from the RPI BPI VPI CPI VIP, or whatever computer poll you're currently supporting, and just watch the teams, and the games.

• Funny
Reactions: isu2014

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
oSu wins Bedlam in Norman tonight in a crazy ass finish. I thought K-State was splendid in losing at the end. But OU qualifies for the top prize with this one. Kind of nice to see the spunky little white guy light it up for the victory.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Well, it's February, so let take another shot in clearer air ...

1. Ku - if you can't beat 'em in AFH, join 'em
  2. Baylor - award a 2nd place trophy, please
  3. WVU - putrid is beautiful to mountain men
  4. ISU - seniority has it's privaleges
  5. TCU - coach of the year
  6. Texas Tech - spunky
  7. OSU - making the turn
  8. Texas - dreams of the future better than realities of the past
  9. OU - youth wasted on the young
  10. K-State - back to yesteryear

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

6. Texas Tech - spunky
  7. OSU - making the turn
  10. K-State - back to yesterday

KU's got this thing all but wrapped up. Until someone steps up and sweeps KU in a season, they will remain at the top. Baylor had their chance. I guess WVU still has to play there, but that would mean KU would have to lose (I believe) three more times assuming WVU won. BAU for the Big 12.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

6. Texas Tech - spunky
  7. OSU - making the turn
  10. K-State - back to yesteryear

Whoa. I know K-State lost yesterday but step back from the ledge, lol.

1. KU
2. WVU
3. Baylor
4. TCU
5. Texas Tech
6. Iowa State
7. Kansas State
8. Okie St.
9. Texas
10. OU

Latest posts

Help Support Us