Let's take a crack at ranking Big 12 basketball ...

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Of course it's an advantage for KU to be playing in AFH for this game. Just like it will be an advantage for Baylor to play in the Ferrell Center for the 2nd game. Why did you use the word "naturally?"

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Of course it's an advantage for KU to be playing in AFH for this game. Just like it will be an advantage for Baylor to play in the Ferrell Center for the 2nd game. Why did you use the word "naturally?"
Because it would have been 'unnatural' for the first meeting to be in Waco. I would think the logic is pretty obvious.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
More of a power ranking than standings prediction

1. KU
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. Oklahoma State
6. Kansas State
7. Texas Tech
8. TCU
9. Texas
10. Oklahoma

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't get the love for oSu?

They've won 3 in a row in impressive fashion. They have an NBA point guard and are in their first year of a new coach. I think they may be turning the corner. They aren't as bad as their horrible start to the conference season. Plenty of close losses. Like I said, my rankings were more of a reflection of how each team is playing right now, but that can obviously change quickly.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They've won 3 in a row in impressive fashion. They have an NBA point guard and are in their first year of a new coach. I think they may be turning the corner. They aren't as bad as their horrible start to the conference season. Plenty of close losses. Like I said, my rankings were more of a reflection of how each team is playing right now, but that can obviously change quickly.
If Woodard plays tonight for OU, I can't see oSu winning in Norman.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Because it would have been 'unnatural' for the first meeting to be in Waco. I would think the logic is pretty obvious.
Just a reminder that the first of the two KSU-BAYLOR games this year was in Manhattan, Kansas for the 4th time in the 6 years of the double round robin.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
1. Kansas
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. Kansas State
6. Texas Tech
7. Oklahoma State
8. TCU
9. Texas
10. Oklahoma

For now. Not convinced we are 4th yet.

We're 4th because that's how bad the conference is this season. I said this a few weeks ago and caught some crap for it, but at this point in the season, it's pretty obvious that the Big 12 is down and pretty far from what it was the last few seasons.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We're 4th because that's how bad the conference is this season. I said this a few weeks ago and caught some crap for it, but at this point in the season, it's pretty obvious that the Big 12 is down and pretty far from what it was the last few seasons.

So so down. From #1 to #2. Seriously you have the internet, everyone here does. How do you and the other people that spout nonsense on here all of the time come to your conclusions? Are you watching local news? Listening to KXNO and reading the Rag? You know what gets them ratings/listeners/subscribers right?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So so down. From #1 to #2. Seriously you have the internet, everyone here does. How do you and the other people that spout nonsense on here all of the time come to your conclusions? Are you watching local news? Listening to KXNO and reading the Rag? You know what gets them ratings/listeners/subscribers right?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

I use common sense. Iowa State is average (ranked all of last season, OU is terrible (was #1 in the nation at one point last season), Texas is hot garbage (was ranked at the end of last season), and the rest of the conference is basically status quo. So, we've dropped 3 of the ranked teams out of the top 25 this season. It's pretty obvious that it's not that great this year. The games on Saturday are another indicator.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I use common sense. Iowa State is average (ranked all of last season, OU is terrible (was #1 in the nation at one point last season), Texas is hot garbage (was ranked at the end of last season), and the rest of the conference is basically status quo. So, we've dropped 3 of the ranked teams out of the top 25 this season. It's pretty obvious that it's not that great this year. The games on Saturday are another indicator.

Phew well thankfully for ISU fans at least the committee is going to use RPI, BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc and not the "EMO whiny CF poster that thinks its 1989 Index"

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Phew well thankfully for ISU fans at least the committee is going to use RPI, BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc and not the "EMO whiny CF poster that thinks its 1989 Index"

Oh, and there are a lot more fringe teams this year. Pretty down year for college basketball in general. Which, of course benefits us.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009

So which conferences are better? Kenpom still has the Big 12 as #1 fwiw.

The latest bracketology has 8 teams in contention for a berth (7 teams in, Tech as last 4 out). What other conferences have 80% of their members in contention for NCAA Tournament berths?

Reactions: CyTwins

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
What exactly is the standard? Best team? Most depth? Most in the field? Most Sweet 16? Elite 8?

Depending on the standard, the answer changes.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So which conferences are better? Kenpom still has the Big 12 as #1 fwiw.

The latest bracketology has 8 teams in contention for a berth (7 teams in, Tech as last 4 out). What other conferences have 80% of their members in contention for NCAA Tournament berths?

I've just stated that 3 of the 7 teams in the Big 12 that we ranked last season are not ranked this season (down 43%). Of those 3 teams, only 1 is receiving a vote (us) and it's literally 1 vote.

I'm not saying the Big 12 is bad or even mediocre. What I am saying is that it isn't nearly as good as it was last season. Fortunately, college basketball is down this year as a whole which will benefit us come tourney time. I don't understand why it's so terrible to say that.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I've just stated that 3 of the 7 teams in the Big 12 that we ranked last season are not ranked this season (down 43%). Of those 3 teams, only 1 is receiving a vote (us) and it's literally 1 vote.

I'm not saying the Big 12 is bad or even mediocre. What I am saying is that it isn't nearly as good as it was last season. Fortunately, college basketball is down this year as a whole which will benefit us come tourney time. I don't understand why it's so terrible to say that.

The conference's average RPI rating at the end of last season was 0.58602.
The conference's average RPI rating is currently 0.59544.

Higher is better in this calculation.

Reactions: CyTwins

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
What exactly is the standard? Best team? Most depth? Most in the field? Most Sweet 16? Elite 8?

Depending on the standard, the answer changes.

For me, you have to judge the conferences in their entirety, not just their top teams. Some people get caught up in the # of elite teams a conference has. The ACC, for example, has a high number of really good teams. But they have 15 teams in their league, 50% more than the Big 12. They should have more elite teams.