Let's take a crack at ranking Big 12 basketball ...

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Have said before, do not like pressing teams. They do that to make up for shortfalls in other areas. And in so doing, put themselves at considerable disadvantage when playing squads that can handle the ball and finish. ISU should handle WVU in Ames, for sure.
Oh transitive property.....

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think the team that finally unseats KU will have to beat them at home and in AFH. ISU lost that chance last week. Baylor and WVU still have a chance, but WVU cant have any more hiccups. Baylor problem is they go to AFH after KU plays at WVU and at Kentucky.
It doesn't matter how you do in the 2 games vs. KU. It matters how you do in the other 16 games.

It's a lot easier to try to figure out how to build a roster to win at Texas Tech than it is at Kansas.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It doesn't matter how you do in the 2 games vs. KU. It matters how you do in the other 16 games.

It's a lot easier to try to figure out how to build a roster to win at Texas Tech than it is at Kansas.

It's pretty hard to build a roster to win when you're playing 5 vs 8

giphy.gif

Reactions: TykeClone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If Baylor's guards could step it up a little, I'd really like them to fight KU till the end for the title. However, I'm sure they will all have a **** game the same night, at some point along the way, and lose one, maybe two, they shouldn't.

Haven't been sold on WVU, not enough basketball talent. But there's no doubt, their style will get them to third in conference, and a top 6 seed in the tournament.

I think KU wins again this year, and I also think, this season is their best chance in awhile to do something in the tournament. They're guard driven, Mason has taken it to another level, and if Jackson can start to hit a few from outside, at least enough that defenses have to guard him out there, then they may go very deep in the tournament.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If Baylor's guards could step it up a little, I'd really like them to fight KU till the end for the title. However, I'm sure they will all have a **** game the same night, at some point along the way, and lose one, maybe two, they shouldn't.

Haven't been sold on WVU, not enough basketball talent. But there's no doubt, their style will get them to third in conference, and a top 6 seed in the tournament.

I think KU wins again this year, and I also think, this season is their best chance in awhile to do something in the tournament. They're guard driven, Mason has taken it to another level, and if Jackson can start to hit a few from outside, at least enough that defenses have to guard him out there, then they may go very deep in the tournament.
They were down 1 last year with 17 seconds in a game to go to the Final Four. I'd say that's doing something. I agree with you though about this years KU team.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I disagree, I think both matter, but if you're able to beat KU twice, chances are you are going to win most your other games. Look at 2013 for example... KSU tied KU at 14-4, but lost to KU twice.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. Ku - schedule toughens
  2. Baylor - so much length
  3. WVU - two too high?
  4. Iowa State - maturity matters
  5. K-State - climbing
  6. TCU - coaching matters
  7. Tech - poked
  8. OU - too young
  9. Texas - pointless
  10. oSu - surprising first
I'm not sure Baylor has the guards to end Ku's string. But it's come down to the Bears, hasn't it.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
More opportunity for separation this week.

TCU (T-6th, 3-4) @ OSU (T-9th, 1-6)
OU (8th, 2-5) @ Texas (T-10th, 1-6)
KU (1st, 7-0) @ WVU (T-3rd, 4-3)
KSU (T-3rd, 4-3) @ ISU (T-3rd, 4-3)
TTU (T-6th, 3-4) @ BU (2nd, 6-1)

In particular, Mountaineers can put a dent in KU's armor and Cyclones or Wildcats can establish themselves in the top 4.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Any last chance hope of KU not winning another Big XII title will hinge on their game in Morgantown this week, IMO. Will be rooting for the Mountaineers to humble them in that game but I'm not very confident they will based on their last couple of games.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
  1. Ku - schedule toughens
  2. Baylor - so much length
  3. WVU - two too high?
  4. Iowa State - maturity matters
  5. K-State - climbing
  6. TCU - coaching matters
  7. Tech - poked
  8. OU - too young
  9. Texas - pointless
  10. oSu - surprising first
I'm not sure Baylor has the guards to end Ku's string. But it's come down to the Bears, hasn't it.
I agree with your list, but also think that 2-3, 4-5, and 6-7 can all be interchanged and it would still make sense.

• Agree
Reactions: BCoffClone125

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I agree with your list, but also think that 2-3, 4-5, and 6-7 can all be interchanged and it would still make sense.
I believe Baylor is more like Ku than WVU. Bears and their coach do not get enough credit. Their guards may not be good enough to unseat the squawks. But their bigs are better as a group.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I believe Baylor is more like Ku than WVU. Bears and their coach do not get enough credit. Their guards may not be good enough to unseat the squawks. But their bigs are better as a group.
Oh for sure, Baylor looks the part as the team that could de-throne KU, but WV is such a ******* wildcard every year, they can beat or lose to anyone on any night. But it has bee the former, the past few years.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku - #13 in a waltz
BU - better than forecast
WVU - nasty to watch w/o coonskin
OU - coaching matters
oSu - 2nd best guard tandem
UT - many studs/more youth
ISU - coaching matters
Tech - Tubby didn't leave bare
TCU - best 'new' coach
K-State - nowhere but up

Well, that's ^^^ where this thread started. At least the top 3 seemed correct.

Here's where I think we're at today. And "at" means this is how it finishes.

1. Ku - win @ UK was impressive
2. BU - naturally, first match with Ku is in AFH
3. WVU - way better at home

4. ISU - maybe the best of the rest
5. Tech - Tubby left some talent
6. K-State - bubble or bust
7. TCU - could be 4, 5 or 6

8. OU - bedlum tonight
9. oSu - see above
10. Texas - burnt orange

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
1. Kansas
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. Kansas State
6. Texas Tech
7. Oklahoma State
8. TCU
9. Texas
10. Oklahoma

For now. Not convinced we are 4th yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
1. Kansas
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. Texas Tech
6. Oklahoma State
7. Kansas State
8. TCU
9. Texas
10. Oklahoma

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yeah, I saw your ranking. I just find it funny to see you complaining about Baylor having to play KU first in AFH as if that is some kind of disadvantage.
So, you think it's an advantage for BU to be playing at AFH rather than Waco. Okay.

With that, I can't wait to see how you rank the league.