Let's take a crack at ranking Big 12 basketball ...

baylrballa

Feb 3, 2007
League City
Not sure how one can claim that this year about Ku. They got the travelgate win over K-State. But I haven't seen anything to suggest they wouldn't have won that one in OT or any of the others on their ledger this year. They're very good at guard, albeit small. And with Jackson now rounding into form, they could easily be a final four outfit following what seems like a certain top 4 seed. Only the district attorney could stand in the way, it seems.

Guards are good. Jackson has the potential to be really good. They have nothing inside.

they are 9-1 in two possession or overtime big12 games. That's insane.

for reference:
isu: 6-3
wvu: 2-4
bu: 5-5
osu: 3-4

Baylor is arguably the best inside/post team in the conference, with kansas middle of the pack at best and thin. We actually did a good job getting the ball in the lane/creating contact during the kansas games this year which in theory leads to fouls and free throws. Over the two games kansas shot 47 free throws, Baylor 17. 5 point win, 2 point win.

I haven't seen a big12 game this year Kansas hasn't received the majority of favorable calls, especially late in games, most of the time leading to more than a two possession difference. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they could/should be around 5-5 in those close games.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Guards are good. Jackson has the potential to be really good. They have nothing inside.

for reference:

Baylor is arguably the best inside/post team in the conference, with kansas middle of the pack at best and thin. We actually did a good job getting the ball in the lane/creating contact during the kansas games this year which in theory leads to fouls and free throws. Over the two games kansas shot 47 free throws, Baylor 17. 5 point win, 2 point win.

I haven't seen a big12 game this year Kansas hasn't received the majority of favorable calls, especially late in games, most of the time leading to more than a two possession difference. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they could/should be around 5-5 in those close games.

KU doesn't have much inside offensively. But in regards to defense and rebounding, Lucas is as good as anyone in the conference.

Baylor's guards aren't able to stay in front of Mason. Lecomte and Lindsey are below average defenders. The FT disparity was due to Mason being able to get into the lane at will.

And then of course Self just put a clown suit on Drew down the stretch in both games.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

for reference:

Scoreboard!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
KU doesn't have much inside offensively. But in regards to defense and rebounding, Lucas is as good as anyone in the conference.

Baylor's guards aren't able to stay in front of Mason. Lecomte and Lindsey are below average defenders. The FT disparity was due to Mason being able to get into the lane at will.

And then of course Self just put a clown suit on Drew down the stretch in both games.
They said in the last KU game that KU is #1 in Big 12 play in points in the paint. Jackson plays the 4 for KU and scores inside all game long. And Lucas is #2 in the Big 12 in rebounding. KU has plenty inside, just not a scorer at the 5.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's easy to target Self's program ethics but to belittle this team's ability is a mindless effort. One would have to be totally clueless to somehow suggest or rationalize that Ku isn't the best in this league. Whether 'this league' is comparable with others will be proven out in the tournament.

IDontHateIowaSt

Jan 27, 2016
Altoona
It's easy to target Self's program ethics but to belittle this team's ability is a mindless effort. One would have to be totally clueless to somehow suggest or rationalize that Ku isn't the best in this league. Whether 'this league' is comparable with others will be proven out in the tournament.

While I mostly agree, it's hard to judge an entire conference's season by how a few games against highly motivated and emotional teams go. I mean, at this point how many of our teams will have Top 8 seeds and be playing teams with chips on their shoulders? I think the best we can do is compare non conference schedules (and pretend nothing changed since the beginning of the season).

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
While I mostly agree, it's hard to judge an entire conference's season by how a few games against highly motivated and emotional teams go. I mean, at this point how many of our teams will have Top 8 seeds and be playing teams with chips on their shoulders? I think the best we can do is compare non conference schedules (and pretend nothing changed since the beginning of the season).
Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

Reactions: CyTwins