Leach Fired

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
maybe he didn't complain until he got on the field?

Could be. Part of my point. Something doesn't make sense in this either.

To me, whatever the truth is regarding this, is rather telling.

If you're complaining about sensitivity to light - you're not good to go. Bad job staff & coach.

But from what else has been said, the kid didn't show to practice in pads and ready to go (whether that's accurate or not, I don't know). But that says the kid knew ahead of time, before getting to practice, that he was having issues. So the med staff still cleared him why? That's either bad job by the kid for not telling them his symptoms, or bad job staff for still clearing him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I wonder if Bob Knight will speak up on this?

Excellent point! Tech hires a well-documented crass Knight but fires Leach for doing FAR less than anything Knight ever did.

I am sure we will learn all that happened in the lawsuits to come, but I think there is a little of the kid that cried wolf going on. Reading the emails from the assistant coach, the concussion thing was probably the last straw with the staff if the antics in the emails I read are true. I think the doctor had cleared him to practice. If he had not been cleared to practice then why was he punished for loafing in practice with another player two days before before he had a relapse of his concussion syptoms?

I suggest every one take the time to read the link someone posted earlier in this thread from the emails on the CBS link, if true it will weaken your support of the James kid.

What I don't like about this whole mess is that coaches are going to become like teachers and become afraid of losing jobs if they try and straighten out kids that are causing trouble. The politically correct crowd just won a victory today.

I just hope this does not happen in the future to a coach we at ISU all like and respect.

Excellent post!

If what is being reported on ESPN right now is true I feel absolutely no sympathy for Leach.

Apparantly Tech gave him the opportunity to appologize and everything would be forgiven but he refused and instead filed a lawsuit.

The leach camp is saying this never happened. So it's up in the air who to believe.

maybe because there's nothing to apologize about?

I mostly agree.

Don't read ESPN on this story. They are being EXTREMELY BIASED on the situation. Click over to si.com or another news outlet. ESPN is the most biased news organization out there, and this is horrible. Yes Leach probably shouldn't have done what he did, but in 10 years he has never had a complaint and all of a sudden he decided to become a dictator? Maybe suspend him for the bowl game, but if Craig James is a total Stage Mom than his kid has to deal with it.

Agreed. Can't take ESPN on this one because they're obviously going to support one of their own.

I think this has a major negative impact on Tech. I'm not sure who they bring back next year, but I kind of think the South in 2010 is pretty open with OU, Texas and OSU losing a fair amount of key people. 2010 could have been a year for Tech to do quite well and it's tough to do that with a new coach.

Reactions: JRE1975

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not saying you're right or wrong here yaman3. Rhetorical coming.

But I have to wonder, how does a kid get medically cleared - at least to the point where a coach expects him to participate, if he's still sensitive to light or whatever he claimed his symptoms were? (I haven't seen a report that says what James's issues continued to be - just what's been tossed about here).

But when medical staff is looking him over to clear him, don't you think that has to come up? "Any lingering effects?" "Well, I'm sensitive to light still". Doesn't common sense say that conversation happens? And if he states it, and you're dealing with concussions - doesn't a red light go off.

Simply put, I have to wonder how a kid complaining about concussion symptoms is cleared to play?

I'm not saying that's wrong either. I am just saying that if it is true that he was cleared that is above Leach. He has to have confidence the doctors are correct.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
DaddyMac has good points, maybe they should fire the training staff and the doctors, not the head coach!

I am going to go back and start reading posts to get me fired up for tomorrow!!

I can not believe I am not down in Arizona now that the day is getting close!!

Reactions: DaddyMac

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
DaddyMac has good points, maybe they should fire the training staff and the doctors, not the head coach!

I am going to go back and start reading posts to get me fired up for tomorrow!!

I can not believe I am not down in Arizona now that the day is getting close!!

Appreciate the compliment.

And I'm also suggesting that perhaps this indicates young James as not being overly honest or pro-active in his own well being.

Reactions: JRE1975

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I'm not saying that's wrong either. I am just saying that if it is true that he was cleared that is above Leach. He has to have confidence the doctors are correct.

The reverse is also true though, if he wasn't cleared, not much should have been expected out of him.

This whole thing comes down to what the facts actually are and we may never know that.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Tons of people supporting Leach and his staff, not many supporting James and some former players coming out nothing he's a bit of a problem child.

I strongly believe Tech overstepped here.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think this has a major negative impact on Tech. I'm not sure who they bring back next year, but I kind of think the South in 2010 is pretty open with OU, Texas and OSU losing a fair amount of key people. 2010 could have been a year for Tech to do quite well and it's tough to do that with a new coach.

I honestly expect A&M to have a really good year next year now.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This is again coming from ESPN so take it for what its worth...

Two current players have now came out against Leach and in support of James.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What is so bad about sending a player to a dark room, locked or unlocked? Even if it was for punishment? I wish that is what the coaches I played for did. All those punishment/conditioning drills in the heat are potentially more detrimental to one's health. Heck, high school teachers can make a student do manual labor that is more dangerous.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
What is so bad about sending a player to a dark room, locked or unlocked? Even if it was for punishment? I wish that is what the coaches I played for did. All those punishment/conditioning drills in the heat are potentially more detrimental to one's health. Heck, high school teachers can make a student do manual labor that is more dangerous.

You shouldn't be punished for being hurt, that's the point. The contention between the two sides is about if he was actually hurt or not.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I do kind of wonder why coaching is thought of as so much different than just about every other profession in the world? Is there another profession out there where you could shut an employee in a closet for a few hours and not expect some type of consequence?

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Looks like parents now run the show in Division 1 football now. The Mangino and Leach situations prove this. Kansas and Texas Tech have set very dangerous precedents by firing their coaches because of parents complaints. Welcome to the bottom of the Big 12 Texas Tech because that is where you will now be due to the firing of your most successful coach ever.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You shouldn't be punished for being hurt, that's the point. The contention between the two sides is about if he was actually hurt or not.

Another contention is whether he was punished. I was suggesting in my post that, imo, standing in a dark room is not punishment. Making the player play or do conditioning with the threat of cutting him would have been...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Looks like parents now run the show in Division 1 football now. The Mangino and Leach situations prove this. Kansas and Texas Tech have set very dangerous precedents by firing their coaches because of parents complaints. Welcome to the bottom of the Big 12 Texas Tech because that is where you will now be due to the firing of your most successful coach ever.

Did parents complain in the Mangino thing? I only remember details about the guy who had his hands burned

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I do kind of wonder why coaching is thought of as so much different than just about every other profession in the world? Is there another profession out there where you could shut an employee in a closet for a few hours and not expect some type of consequence?

It wasn't a closet. Watch the video link given earlier. It was a large supply garage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron