Lazard

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
The fact that you try and debate this is laughable. Winning doesn't mean you are a great leader even if it did I would at worst put Rhoads success on par with McCaffery. Even then it is hard to compare success between the sports.

You are also the one who started the success comparison. All that was being compared was how they coach. Rhoads and Mangino are leaders whether they are successful or not. McCaffery can win 10 straight national titles and he still probably wouldn't be a leader. It has everything to do with style of coaching and nothing to do with success.

So success, or lack of it, has nothing to do with leadership? Lol that is asinine. Just because McCaffery can be a loose cannon does not mean he isn't a leader. By that measuring stick Bob Knight wasn't a good leader. The collapse at the end of last year was horrible for the Hawks bball team. I'm not sure anyone outside of the locker room can explain it. However, Fran's son was going through quite the ordeal so at least from his angle you could understand why he may have been distracted.

The guy was bashing me for comparing football coaches and basketball coaches. I didn't start that conversation, you did. I can at least understand the Mangino argument, but Rhoads has done nothing but go backwards. How on earth you can put his success on par with Fran's is beyond me. They've gone opposite directions since taking over. Rhoads is responsible for it whether you like to admit it or not. Ultimately the buck stops with him. The fact of the matter is there were only 3 victories last year by Iowa State, and I would be quite surprised if there's more than 4 this year. That is unacceptable in my opinion. At this point in his tenure, with the lack of success he has had, it is unacceptable. He hasn't done anything to warrant someone believing he's capable of taking the program to bigger and better things than it is used to. Is he a nice guy? Of course he is. I like him. I would love to have a beer with him and just talk football because he seems like a genuine dude. That doesn't warrant everyone making excuses for his inability to right the ship.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
So success, or lack of it, has nothing to do with leadership? Lol that is asinine. Just because McCaffery can be a loose cannon does not mean he isn't a leader. By that measuring stick Bob Knight wasn't a good leader. The collapse at the end of last year was horrible for the Hawks bball team. I'm not sure anyone outside of the locker room can explain it. However, Fran's son was going through quite the ordeal so at least from his angle you could understand why he may have been distracted.

The guy was bashing me for comparing football coaches and basketball coaches. I didn't start that conversation, you did. I can at least understand the Mangino argument, but Rhoads has done nothing but go backwards. How on earth you can put his success on par with Fran's is beyond me. They've gone opposite directions since taking over. Rhoads is responsible for it whether you like to admit it or not. Ultimately the buck stops with him. The fact of the matter is there were only 3 victories last year by Iowa State, and I would be quite surprised if there's more than 4 this year. That is unacceptable in my opinion. At this point in his tenure, with the lack of success he has had, it is unacceptable. He hasn't done anything to warrant someone believing he's capable of taking the program to bigger and better things than it is used to. Is he a nice guy? Of course he is. I like him. I would love to have a beer with him and just talk football because he seems like a genuine dude. That doesn't warrant everyone making excuses for his inability to right the ship.
Leadership means that is the person who is in charge and you know that. Being successful helps but you can be an awful coach and still be a great leader. I think McCaffery as a coach and think if given the support he can be successful. Step 1 would be to get fans to not or at least minimize harassing players but I don't think there is much you can do there.

Comparing how someone leads is completely different than comparing success between the sports. It is arbitrary for the most part and depends mostly on the person examining. Mangino has gotten to the equivalent of the final four for football. Rhoads obviously took a step back last year, but really there was a lot of bad luck with injuries and stuff. There is a lot less margin of error in football as well. I think that making 3 bowls winning 1 and within 1 game another year is at least equivalent to making the play in game and the NIT runner up.

Obviously that could be different from how you compare them, but that is why you can't reasonably do it.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Leadership means that is the person who is in charge and you know that. Being successful helps but you can be an awful coach and still be a great leader. I think McCaffery as a coach and think if given the support he can be successful. Step 1 would be to get fans to not or at least minimize harassing players but I don't think there is much you can do there.

Comparing how someone leads is completely different than comparing success between the sports. It is arbitrary for the most part and depends mostly on the person examining. Mangino has gotten to the equivalent of the final four for football. Rhoads obviously took a step back last year, but really there was a lot of bad luck with injuries and stuff. There is a lot less margin of error in football as well. I think that making 3 bowls winning 1 and within 1 game another year is at least equivalent to making the play in game and the NIT runner up.

Obviously that could be different from how you compare them, but that is why you can't reasonably do it.

You mean fans attacking the players just like ISU fans did Matt Thomas?

http://thegazette.com/2014/02/24/isus-hoiberg-social-media-attacks-on-players-a-disgrace/

Happens everywhere man. Doesn't mean it isn't disgusting, but don't pretend like it's just an Iowa or McCaffery problem.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines

http://thegazette.com/2014/02/24/isus-hoiberg-social-media-attacks-on-players-a-disgrace/

Happens everywhere man. Doesn't mean it isn't disgusting, but don't pretend like it's just an Iowa or McCaffery problem.

Pretty sure Section110 is NEICyfan. Please go away Troll, there is a rivalry site for you to post in, no need to do it here. Now log in as NEICyfan and give yourself thumbs ups.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Lazard has great hands and doesn't drop the ball. He might actually start given that alone. I think CPR and MM have zero tolerance anymore for wr's who continue to drop balls they should catch. Bundrage dropped a couple right to him in spring game although a couple where thrown prob way to hard and a little high. Lazard is a huge target and like others have said runs great routes. At the least I can see him as a true red zone threat split out with Bibbs and QB and maybe quan west at the other TE. That's like (4) targets that are all at least 6'4.
He will play. Great for third down.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Pretty sure Section110 is NEICyfan. Please go away Troll, there is a rivalry site for you to post in, no need to do it here. Now log in as NEICyfan and give yourself thumbs ups.

I've said nothing trollish, and I'm not that guy I assure you. Everything I've said I've been respectful. Just sharing my opinion. If that bothers you then that's a you problem. There's plenty of ISU fans who feel like it's time for Rhoads to start producing results. Why is it any different when I say it? I enjoy having a good discussion. Isn't that what message boards are for?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What amazes me on this thread is the lack of a desire to win that Lazard has and will have. The kid was born a cyclone..could have gone anywhere but chose to fulfill his dream. How many WR's on our roster came here because it was their childhood dream? There is a lot to be said for having that drive to win at a school that you dream about playing for and winning at. AZ will be split out wide game one the very first play and he there will be no looking back. Kid has a skill set that no other WR has on our roster and that's why he was a Top 10 WR. I watched the spring game and every game last year and I have yet to see a WR(Bibbs excluded) that can consistently catch the ball. They may be tall, fast, strong etc…But what this team needs is a go to WR that you just know is going to catch whatever is thrown at him.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
What amazes me on this thread is the lack of a desire to win that Lazard has and will have. The kid was born a cyclone..could have gone anywhere but chose to fulfill his dream. How many WR's on our roster came here because it was their childhood dream? There is a lot to be said for having that drive to win at a school that you dream about playing for and winning at. AZ will be split out wide game one the very first play and he there will be no looking back. Kid has a skill set that no other WR has on our roster and that's why he was a Top 10 WR. I watched the spring game and every game last year and I have yet to see a WR(Bibbs excluded) that can consistently catch the ball. They may be tall, fast, strong etc…But what this team needs is a go to WR that you just know is going to catch whatever is thrown at him.
You may want to consider reining in those expectations just a little.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
You may want to consider reining in those expectations just a little.

Ehh I'm not sure his expectations are that unrealistic as long as he doesn't expect him to conquer college football as a true freshman. I think by Lazard's junior and senior years it would be a major disappointment if he isn't one of the premier WR's in the game. That's the expectation from the Cyclone fan base isn't it? You don't come into a school with as much fanfare as he has without having people heap major expectations on you. Especially when the head coach boasts about him the way he has chosen to.

Last edited:

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Thanks for the insight. I haven't seen him play once so you know much more than I.

My main point is centered around the caliber of football that he's playing. The question about him redshirting or immediately contributing will revolve solely around his ability to adjust to this level of competition. While 4A ball in Iowa is as good as it gets it is nothing compared to what he will be facing this fall. Just look at how many defensive backs out of Iowa high schools have received D1 scholarships lately... Or save yourself some time and don't look because I can tell you the answer is very few. The Rogers kid from Iowa City that went to ISU and has since left the team is the last one that comes to mind.

It's always more difficult to catch the football when you can't run faster and jump higher than every single person you're matched up against. Now he might still be able to do that against some guys, but the coverage will no doubt be much tighter. Plus the game is played at a faster pace and the pressure is much more intense. Even making a wide open catch on 3rd down in a big situation, in an intense environment is something that he will need to maintain his focus on. It isn't hard for a young man with little experience to think about where he's going to run before he makes the catch, and then ends up dropping it. At this level the little things matter much more. He already has enough pressure on him just because of who he is. There's no need to make the expectations unrealistic.

I watched him play against Dowling Polk County or the Central Iowa Maroons. The Maroons had a Receiver by the name of Amara Darboh that shredded Urbandale's Corner on the opening drive. Urbandale responded and put Lazard on him. Dowling quarterback tried a jump ball to Darboh and Lazard intercepted it. Darboh was a senior at the time and Lazard was a sophomore. Where is Darboh you ask? The University of Michigan. So I kind of think he can play against D-1 competition. Even if that D-1 competition is a step down like the Big 10 Conference.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I watched him play against Dowling Polk County or the Central Iowa Maroons. The Maroons had a Receiver by the name of Amara Darboh that shredded Urbandale's Corner on the opening drive. Urbandale responded and put Lazard on him. Dowling quarterback tried a jump ball to Darboh and Lazard intercepted it. Darboh was a senior at the time and Lazard was a sophomore. Where is Darboh you ask? The University of Michigan. So I kind of think he can play against D-1 competition. Even if that D-1 competition is a step down like the Big 10 Conference.
Lazard dominated Darboh in that game. Lazard will be a much better player. That is the game when I knew he was going to be special.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

This year is done. Great strides on defense. Need to be consistent shooting. He just had some bad luck with major hoopla buildup on shooting. Next year will be here before you know it.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Why are we posting legitimate concerns?

BACK TO THE STARING GIFS!

cat-snow.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lazard is going to be amazing. Maybe not right out of the gates, but this kid is the real deal. You think Mangino is going to let a top 10 wide out who is 6'5'' and can run and jump like a gazelle not contribute?