Larry Eustachy Investigation

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Let's step away from the Larry situation, as it's not popular to criticize him on this board, instead, let's look at something similar regarding a renowned Professor / Heart Surgeon at the U of Iowa. His reputation for life-saving procedures and surgical techniques would bring in millions to the department from people not only in the state of Iowa, but the USA, who would line up to have him perform bypass procedures.

However, the megalomaniac had a rage-aggressive temper that was unprofessional in the operating room; and he took it out on nurses, assistants and even medical student residents by throwing scalpels and equipment against the wall during surgery, while at he same time screaming obscenities and verbally humiliating and intimidating subordinates. After several complaints, all those *snowflake* sissys complained and the Dean, with full support of the President, had to fire the best surgeon the University ever seen.............

And if you need the heart surgery that is who you want doing yours. You need it done right not who has the best team spirit.

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Life is full of difficult people and situations. Some people can work through those situations, some people can't. Doesn't make either person better, they are just different.

isu83

May 5, 2010
One hell of a coach that can get the most out of a player. If you sign up to play for him you know what is coming. The past is the past. I personally appreciate him for the good he did for ISU basketball. I've had people yell at me. I didn't go crying to the nearest reporter. And I'm not apologizing for LE either. As for Randy Petersen. Just looking for the best headline.

Last edited:

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
From the Coloradan article,

"Lowell Wightman served as the mental conditioning coach for the CSU football program from 2012-14 and said he was aware of the investigation into Eustachy's behavior. He was not part of the university investigation, but he said he was concerned about how the basketball coach interacted with players and staff."

Really? Of course he had an issue with Larry.

Spam

May 21, 2008

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
nu uh it cant be, some person involved with sports made it so it must be accurate. Because they are a good volleyball coach that means that cant make silly comparisons.

It's certainly possible that an experienced, successful, hall-of-fame college coach who now is paid to train and mentor coaches could make a silly comparison about coaching. It's also certainly possible that message board posters lack the ability to grasp the validity of the comparison made by the experienced, successful coach.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I went to look at the conference standings, holy batman, UNLV is dead last. Why do talented players keep going there?

Well, this isn't exactly recent, but..........
aas.jpg

The Fixer’s hot tub party that crashed Tark the Shark’s reign atop the Las Vegas basketball kingdom

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I immediately thought of Bob Knight......I'm 99% sure the kids who committed to Indiana were pretty sure what they were getting themselves into, especially after Feinstein's book. If you're a HS kid being recruited by Eustachy, you're probably going to do a little homework to find out about him.

Some kids thrive under that type of pressure. Some need it to reach their highest level. Others wilt and regress. But I can't imagine one of the latter signing up at CSU, knowing full well what type of coaching he was going to get.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I immediately thought of Bob Knight......I'm 99% sure the kids who committed to Indiana were pretty sure what they were getting themselves into, especially after Feinstein's book. If you're a HS kid being recruited by Eustachy, you're probably going to do a little homework to find out about him.

Some kids thrive under that type of pressure. Some need it to reach their highest level. Others wilt and regress. But I can't imagine one of the latter signing up at CSU, knowing full well what type of coaching he was going to get.

The Knight situation is not the same as the LE situation. LE went into alcoholism treatment, and came out supposedly having conquered all his demons, and having become a new person that had everything under control. At least that was the slant of the press that was continually coming out about him and his successes (with links to those articles often posted here on CF). There always seems to be no shortage of folks willing to give good press and glowing character references to LE. We've seen such tweets posted in this thread. And all that could have been true. Maybe LE had a relapse of some kind at CSU.

As a recruit "doing your homework" on LE, how do you process that positive press/exposure? Treatment and counseling for these kinds of problems are all kept hush-hush. I don't think it is nearly as easy to get to the full truth about a coach as you make it out to be.

Also, kids signing up to play for a possibly abusive coach does not justify the coach abusing the players. There are NCAA standards covering behavior of athletes and coaches.

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/committees/committee-sportsmanship-and-ethical-conduct
NCAA Bylaw 2.4 The Principles of Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct.
For intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants, to enhance the integrity of higher education and to promote civility in society, student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with these athletics programs and events should adhere to such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program. It is the responsibility of each institution to: (Revised: 1/9/96)

To me, this suggests that it is reasonable for the athletes participating at an NCAA school to expect an environment where they don't have to worry about ducking flying soda cans, and an environment where they will be reprimanded and disciplined in a manner that doesn't involve being berated with a plethora of disrespectful, vulgar, and derogatory adjectives.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
It's certainly possible that an experienced, successful, hall-of-fame college coach who now is paid to train and mentor coaches could make a silly comparison about coaching. It's also certainly possible that message board posters lack the ability to grasp the validity of the comparison made by the experienced, successful coach.

I wonder if Pettit (legendary in his profession but 99% of us have never heard of him) ever publicly said anything about Osborne. I mean I bet he was appalled at how Osborne yelled at his players. A professor who acted like Osborne at Nebraska would have been fired......

It's a dumb comparison. There is a 180 degree difference from Eustachy to Hoiberg/Prohm in how they handle their players but even a Hoiberg/Prohm practice is nothing like a college classroom. Not even close.

Like I said though, there is nothing wrong with kids not liking LE and hating his coaching style. They can choose not to play there or transfer and I wouldn't think less of them if they did leave. I can also see how some AD's would hate his style. Don't hire him then. But stop trying to compare a college basketball coach to a professor in school. They aren't remotely the same thing.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No it's not. I've had coaches make that exact comparison to me in the last few hours. As an instructor or a coach, you're still a leader of young people, not a bully.
And the CSU athletic director, who has been around tons of coaches, thought that LE's behavior was grounds for termination.
But you have more insight than he does...OK.

Then why didn't they fire him? You know why? Because he wins. So CSU essentially wanted dirt on him because someone doesn't like him but they don't have the balls to fire him because he's winning. Now they let this out there to turn up the heat, likely in hopes that public pressure will become so much they "can't possibly do anything but fire him." It's a ***** move.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Love all of the LE apologists: like you'd be OK with an English or physics professor calling their students "f*****g c**ts." Right...

I remember my calculus class totally bombing a multiple integral test. Next day the professor ranted and raved to us about not putting in the time and work to fully understand the material. He humiliated us. It was bad - chairs were kicked around, dry-erase boards were split, markers got snapped in two. He started getting in people's face screaming things like "This isn't accounting class j@cka$$! There ain't no numbers, only letters!" and "You can't even differentiate an exponential function, a$$hole!"

It was tough to sit there and take it, but I knew he was only trying to make me a better mathematician. To this day I look back at that class and realize that I never would have reached the mathematical success I've obtained without him being such a hard-ass instructor. I owe him everything.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The Knight situation is not the same as the LE situation. LE went into alcoholism treatment, and came out supposedly having conquered all his demons, and having become a new person that had everything under control. At least that was the slant of the press that was continually coming out about him and his successes (with links to those articles often posted here on CF). There always seems to be no shortage of folks willing to give good press and glowing character references to LE. We've seen such tweets posted in this thread. And all that could have been true. Maybe LE had a relapse of some kind at CSU.

As a recruit "doing your homework" on LE, how do you process that positive press/exposure? Treatment and counseling for these kinds of problems are all kept hush-hush. I don't think it is nearly as easy to get to the full truth about a coach as you make it out to be.

Also, kids signing up to play for a possibly abusive coach does not justify the coach abusing the players. There are NCAA standards covering behavior of athletes and coaches.

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/committees/committee-sportsmanship-and-ethical-conduct

To me, this suggests that it is reasonable for the athletes participating an an NCAA school to expect an environment where they don't have to worry about ducking flying soda cans, and and environment where they will be reprimanded and disciplined in a manner that doesn't involve having a plethora of disrespectful, vulgar, and derogatory adjectives hurled at them.

My intent wasn't to excuse any of either Knight's or Eustachy's behavior(s).....simply to point out that I don't think these kids went into the situation completely unaware. My intent was to point out that most coaches, particularly those at this level, and with this record of success, have reputations. Some are deserved, some aren't. But coaches like BK and LE use intimidation to get the best out of their kids. And some will respond to that, while others won't.

I know Eustachy has had a fairly high level of kids that transferred out of CSU. Perhaps they weren't aware, but with media overseeing almost everything these days, it's hard to believe they would be ignorant.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It's a dumb comparison. There is a 180 degree difference from Eustachy to Hoiberg/Prohm in how they handle their players but even a Hoiberg/Prohm practice is nothing like a college classroom. Not even close.

The physical setting itself may not be similar, but the principles and methods involved in creating success are the same. At least that's what John Wooden thought. Perhaps you have heard of him...

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2006/03/01/25gallimore.h25.html

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Well, this isn't exactly recent, but..........
aas.jpg

The Fixer’s hot tub party that crashed Tark the Shark’s reign atop the Las Vegas basketball kingdom
Looks like a sausage fest

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
One hell of a coach that can get the most out of a player. If you sign up to play for him you know what is coming. The past is the past. I personally appreciate him for the good he did for ISU basketball. I've had people yell at me. I didn't go crying to the nearest reporter. And I'm not apologizing for LE either. As for Randy Petersen. Just looking for the best headline.

FYI - reporters don't write their own headlines. There are people called Copy Editors, who write the headlines. It's their job to grab reader's attention. The NY Post is famous for their headlines.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think Chris and Adam are both right. There's nothing "wrong" with Larry's way, but it obviously doesn't fly in this day and age. Neither would Bobby Knight, or any of those guys. Hell, Johnny Orr wouldn't last 2 weeks in today's climate.

I'm also quite surprised Paul Shirley would write/say/post something controversial. Not quite his style!
vauEUgn.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron