Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Hardly. AJ is a fantastic player! Just gets so old watching CBF pucker in the last 3-4 minutes of regulation and overtime and leaving her literally zero options but to force up bad shots because of all five opponents collapsing and zero movement from our other players. These other four players are told not to move. We (any team for that matter) are just too damn easy to defend when our opponents only have to guard one player in the last 3-4 minutes. Without question run our offense through our best/better offensive players, but teach... and then trust your high hoops I.Q. players we recruit to do the right thing.

I'm inclined to believe this is more of the reason...and could lead to more transfers if not careful. It was clear in many games that CBF doesn't really have an offense other to run through AJ...our loss against A&M was more of a coaching issue and less of a player issue, IMO...if she's leaving because she wants to play a different way, I don't blame her. She only gets so many opportunities. Sucks either way...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was going to ask this. Is it a problem? Or, is it just the state of the game today (no pun intended).

As a recent follower, I can see that this hurts the likability of this team, slightly. I am endeared to the energy and toughness of the freshman players.

I think his recruits know that he is a tough coach to play for but I'm guessing that once they are here and practicing he is even more abrasive than they thought.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm inclined to believe this is more of the reason...and could lead to more transfers if not careful. It was clear in many games that CBF doesn't really have an offense other to run through AJ...our loss against A&M was more of a coaching issue and less of a player issue, IMO...if she's leaving because she wants to play a different way, I don't blame her. She only gets so many opportunities. Sucks either way...

You can point at several losses this season where he decided to play Ashley one on five. Hell, it cost them the Texas game down in KC.

I'm just not as big of a BF fan as most Cyclone fans. I get that he turned the program around but he definitely has had his problems. Talent leaving the program has been a huge issue over the last 10 years or so and it's not p[layers struggling to get minutes.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That sucks. But more time for MEM, Aubrey, and Fritz. No point to dwell. Good luck to her. Move on to the next...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I was going to ask this. Is it a problem? Or, is it just the state of the game today (no pun intended).

As a recent follower, I can see that this hurts the likability of this team, slightly. I am endeared to the energy and toughness of the freshman players.
Certainly old school

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I mean bill does have his problems screaming girls down. That would be my guess

Some kids like/need the screaming, and others it really hurts their psyche. It's important for incoming players to know that's CBF's style, and to know themselves well enough if that is good/bad for them.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Not surprising- watching the games on TV it was clear that she was not always involved in the scheme - she was wide open in a lot of times but the ball always ended up with Joens or Donarski (more with the former).

She has potential, she can play and she can score. I don't like when our team becoming one player show - because like other posters say: it will become easy to defend. We need multiple scorers including the ones who are fearless to take last second shots and our freshmen are more than good enough to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cyputz

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I disagree on the bolded. BF has had way too much young talent leave the program. It's definitely been an issue and I'm not sure why everyone gives him a free pass on it.

This is pure speculation, but one thing I've noticed with Bill is his treatment of players can seem a bit inconsistent at times. I think there are always a few that are pretty well above reproach, while there are others he's on constantly. The guy knows what he's doing, and I have no doubt it's done purposefully to try and maximize players' potential. But when you watch on the sideline you see some players get yanked and chewed out for mistakes, while others aren't. And I can't help but think the players notice that as well.

It seemed to me Kylie kind of fell into this. I saw him getting on her much more than Ryan and Donarski.

Last edited:

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Always felt like if you could make it through year one of Bill, you make it all the way through. If that is truly a reason why she left, perhaps she may come back out of the portal?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We are lighter on players to start with aren’t we? Was thinking we had a few open schollys this year and we are o KU bringing in a couple players aren’t we?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is pure speculation, but one thing I've noticed with Bill is his treatment of players can seem a bit inconsistent at times. I think there are always a few that are pretty well above reproach, while there are others he's on constantly. The guy knows what he's doing, and I have no doubt it's done purposefully to try and maximize players potential. But when you watch on the sideline you see some players get yanked and chewed out for mistakes, while others aren't. And I can't help but think the players notice that as well.

It seemed to me Kylie kind of fell into this. I saw him getting on her much more than Ryan and Donarski.

I 100% agree with this. Bill certainly treats players differently and I feel like some former players came out and said that too.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Isn’t she a third generation Cyclone, as in Mom, Dad and Grandfather? I’m very sad as I thought she and Donarski were the next two stars for the ISU women? I loved her athleticism and fearlessness!
Yes, she has deep ISU roots. Her grandfather played at ISU and dad has a Bachelor's and Vet school degree from ISU (I used to hoop with him some).

My two theories on this would be not jelling with CBF or feeling like she'll always be in the shadows of others. Just theories but it's too bad because she had some athleticism and I think she'll continue to improve her shooting / scoring. She had a rough outing against A&M and to me, seemed to be pressing to make plays.

Physically, I felt like we didn't match up well with schools like A&M, Baylor and Texas so having an athletic, 6'0" wing like Kyle in future years would have been useful.

She's a good and smart kid and will do well. We all wish her future success, I'm sure.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Isn’t she a third generation Cyclone, as in Mom, Dad and Grandfather? I’m very sad as I thought she and Donarski were the next two stars for the ISU women? I loved her athleticism and fearlessness!
Dad, Grandfather for sure. I think her Mom is alumni too but not certain. Her Uncle Al was the world record holder in the in the shot put during the 1970's but he went to Emporia State.

Reactions: Aclone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
You can point at several losses this season where he decided to play Ashley one on five. Hell, it cost them the Texas game down in KC.

I'm just not as big of a BF fan as most Cyclone fans. I get that he turned the program around but he definitely has had his problems. Talent leaving the program has been a huge issue over the last 10 years or so and it's not p[layers struggling to get minutes.

Here is who we've lost over the last 10-years, not sure any of them were program changers.

Kelsey Harris - transferred to UC Davis, played two seasons there with solid results.
Kileah Mays - took a chance, she was raw and was going to be stuck behind Prins, Poppens, and Christopherson, transferred to Texas State.
Nakiah Bell - transferred to SIUE, averages 8.8 ppg over her career at SIUE.
Bry Fernstrom - transferred to Minnesota, played but was never a star. Averaged 5.7 and 3.4 ppg.
Blaire Thomas - transferred to Iowa Western, then to Johnson C Smith, then to Norfolk State.
Teetee Starks - transferred to Arizona, played 2018-2019, then injured and quit playing.
Sofia Zivaljevic - transferred to NDSU.
Aliyah Konate - hurt her back and never played, went home to Germany.
Bride Kennedy-Hopoate - transferred to New Mexico, played in 8 games after sitting out, then let go from the team.
Lauren Mills - took a chance, never played, transferred to Montana. Played 47 minutes in 13 games this year.
Gabby McBride - took a chance, she was injured, transferred to a junior college in Texas. Played in 15 games at JUCO, averaged 1.9 mpg and 2.7 ppg.
Lindsay Jarosinki - retired from basketball, completing her degree at ISU.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This is tough. I think Kylie has tremendous potential. I personally don't think BF helped her by putting her in the starting lineup at the beginning of the season. As the season progressed, Maddie's role increased and Kylie's role decreased. Moving her to a smaller role could give an 18 year old the impression that they had fallen out of favor. In reality, she should have probably come off the bench and then grown into a starter next year.

I do agree it is a concern that BF relies on one player too much late in games, but I would doubt that would cause Kylie to transfer. I think her minutes and role late in games were consistent with he play.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and kcdc4isu

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Not surprising- watching the games on TV it was clear that she was not always involved in the scheme - she was wide open in a lot of times but the ball always ended up with Joens or Donarski (more with the former).

She has potential, she can play and she can score. I don't like when our team becoming one player show - because like other posters say: it will become easy to defend. We need multiple scorers including the ones who are fearless to take last second shots and our freshmen are more than good enough to do so.
She hit the game winner in the AAU championship a couple of years ago right in front of Kevin Durant, so you know she is more than ready (and capable) of hitting big shots.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think MEM coming back may have been the push. Her may have been told her minutes may be decreasing and with the two other options having nearly the same eligibility as her, she may have decided to move on. At those ages, we can make some rash decisions and not think as long term or be willing to fight through the situation.

Reactions: kcdc4isu