KXNO Sports Fanatics

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Top would be high end AAU clubs that you have to pay big money for and they ASK you to be part of the team.

AAU isn't really a player anymore, it's all about USSSA. At least here in the DSM area those high end teams are all tryouts and then offers are extended. Plus these clubs have multiple tiers so they may have a Majors tier, a AAA tier, etc. Either way you are talking about some serious $$$ though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
AAU isn't really a player anymore, it's all about USSSA. At least here in the DSM area those high end teams are all tryouts and then offers are extended. Plus these clubs have multiple tiers so they may have a Majors tier, a AAA tier, etc. Either way you are talking about some serious $$$ though.
Whoops, didn’t catch all the convo and realize you were talking strictly baseball. My bad.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
I would say the general make up goes like this.

1.) Tryout Clubs
2.) Closed Teams that have cherry picked talent
3.) Kids/parents that form teams because they weren't selected in scenario 1 or 2.
Yeah the clubs are dumb. I see my town has one.

There was a guy on my team that wanted to play more so would play with another team when we were off. He ended up throwing his arm out by his sophomore year.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Dads who didn’t think they did well enough in HS, college, junior high or even in life and are living through their kids.

I'm a relatively new parent (only child is 2.5, a girl), but I've seen a lot of guys with older kids turn out to be that kind of Dad. Guys that I thought were normal people before they started acting that way. My question is, is that just something that sometimes happens to guys? When their kids turn a certain age they turn into weirdos that live vicariously through them? Christ, I hope that doesn't happen to me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm a relatively new parent (only child is 2.5, a girl), but I've seen a lot of guys with older kids turn out to be that kind of Dad. Guys that I thought were normal people before they started acting that way. My question is, is that just something that sometimes happens to guys? When their kids turn a certain age they turn into weirdos that live vicariously through them? Christ, I hope that doesn't happen to me.
It happens. Trust me, I caught myself one time and realized what I was doing early on. We want our kids to be successful and those of us that played athletics can accidentally slide back into the competitiveness. Boys have a natural competitive nature usually. Girls are up and down. I coached my daughters BB team during youth and one dad came and helped me because he couldn’t believe a girl would be eating popcorn on the bench. I had 12-13 girls so I didn’t have time to deal with those type of things while I was trying help the girls on the floor.

Reactions: GT25Ump

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would say the general make up goes like this.

1.) Tryout Clubs
2.) Closed Teams that have cherry picked talent
3.) Kids/parents that form teams because they weren't selected in scenario 1 or 2.

We moved to a new town in the 90s and the #3 scenario soccer team was better than the #2 scenario because of typical/predictable reasons. Two brothers on our team ended up playing NCAA soccer yet weren't selected for the "in crowd" team, they were the best players in our town easily living and breathing soccer. I really enjoyed wrestling because you didn't have to deal with any of that BS, just go out and beat somebody directly.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The little league USSSA discussion is interesting. I think little league is very important tee ball til around 5th grade. By that age kids that are serious will be playing USSSA

I should add when I played it was near the early age of usssa. My team was parent organized team of kids all from my town. Basically all went to same elementary school. We only did 3-4 tournaments a year and played in a league in Des Moines. We mostly played team like use until we got to AAA. I remember playing a team that was in the majors that literally had kids from all over the state.

LL is important. Once you get older it is not very competitive for the most part. People also lump club teams into always travel around. Not all clubs and teams are that way. They have 3 levels for a reason. If you want to play ball there is a club out there for you that fits you, what you want, and what you want to spend.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If you talk to any college/professional coach or any sport and ask them if kids should focus on one sport to get better at it or play several different sports I think they'd all say it's better to play several sports.

Each sport generally requires different motions and abilities so you're not overworking one muscle or ligament and as a bonus you're also learning new abilities that you can use in the sport you care most about.

If I were a high school football coach, I'd greatly "encourage" my safeties to play baseball, specifically as outfielders, my receivers to run track to work on explosion of the line, and my linemen and linebackers to all wrestle to learn the best techniques to use their body weight and hands in 1 vs 1 competition.

I wouldn't want my QB to be a pitcher because it may hurt his arm but more and more middle infield training and learning how to throw from different arm angles and platforms is becoming an important tool to have.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Coached my boys to 16-0 in soccer this fall lfg!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If you talk to any college/professional coach or any sport and ask them if kids should focus on one sport to get better at it or play several different sports I think they'd all say it's better to play several sports.

Each sport generally requires different motions and abilities so you're not overworking one muscle or ligament and as a bonus you're also learning new abilities that you can use in the sport you care most about.

If I were a high school football coach, I'd greatly "encourage" my safeties to play baseball, specifically as outfielders, my receivers to run track to work on explosion of the line, and my linemen and linebackers to all wrestle to learn the best techniques to use their body weight and hands in 1 vs 1 competition.

I wouldn't want my QB to be a pitcher because it may hurt his arm but more and more middle infield training and learning how to throw from different arm angles and platforms is becoming an important tool to have.

There have been studies done that show exactly this. Now excuse me while I drop 6 figures trying to get my kid a 1/4 scholarship on some non-revenue sport.

Reactions: BigTurk

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'm surprised football coaches aren't more into encouraging every player on defense to wrestle. The conditioning alone is worth it but I'm sure every great wrestler is automatically an above average tackler.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023

Two of my friends that played a D1 sport at Iowa state also played another sport their senior year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Two of my friends that played a D1 sport at Iowa state also played another sport their senior year.
I've always said I think basketball is best for lineman that need to pass block. It focuses on your feed and hips. You need to shuffle and stay in front of the defender in pass blocking. In wrestling, its more locking on and getting leverage to get behind them or into the legs. Pass blocking if you can stay between the defender and the QB, you have most of the problem solved, now just don't let them get ahold of the QB.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
USSSA has way too much "daddy ball". There are so many kids that are getting left behind at young ages and it's really gross. I see it with my own kid. He struggled when he was younger so he didn't have a landing spot. He ended up on a team of misfits like himself and played Single A ball through 13U. His last couple years he would have made try out teams if I pushed him that direction but we decided not to go down that route. You have these glory days dads coaching their kids teams and so many kids gets pushed to the side instead of getting pulled along and have an opportunity to develop. Just win baby!!!

Daddy ball has existed since youth sports has existed. All sports. Not just baseball. Mommy ball is a thing too. Let's not be sexist here ;). I had daddy ball coaches in Little League, and I had hippy dads who gave everybody a sticker, and I had dad's who smoked and drank beer in the dugout. They've all existed forever. My personal favorite was the coach who drank and smoked in the dugout but was somewhat competitive.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Baseball is a dying sport. Not sure any kids would play if their dads didn't tell them to.

Things are just getting more specialized. Baseball being one of them. If dying means not every single 9-12 year old is playing Little League, then yes. But baseball is alive and well in youth sports.