KXNO Sports Fanatics

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If you talk to any college/professional coach or any sport and ask them if kids should focus on one sport to get better at it or play several different sports I think they'd all say it's better to play several sports.

Each sport generally requires different motions and abilities so you're not overworking one muscle or ligament and as a bonus you're also learning new abilities that you can use in the sport you care most about.

If I were a high school football coach, I'd greatly "encourage" my safeties to play baseball, specifically as outfielders, my receivers to run track to work on explosion of the line, and my linemen and linebackers to all wrestle to learn the best techniques to use their body weight and hands in 1 vs 1 competition.

I wouldn't want my QB to be a pitcher because it may hurt his arm but more and more middle infield training and learning how to throw from different arm angles and platforms is becoming an important tool to have.

A lot of quarterbacks were pitchers. Probably don't want to pitch during football season though. :)

I think the biggest thing about playing 3-4 sports is the fact that you are in competition mode all year. And, you get to compete with your buddies all year.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Had a relative whose kid was picked to be on one of the clubs for a youth football tournament out of state. The coach pulled his team off the field in the second game as opponents were targeting his kids and couple of them suffered concussions and the refs weren’t calling anything. One of the refs was bigger than Mangino and couldn’t make it to where he had to be if his life counted on it. Some of that stuff is getting too dangerous and we’re talking about 11 year olds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Daddy ball has existed since youth sports has existed. All sports. Not just baseball. Mommy ball is a thing too. Let's not be sexist here ;). I had daddy ball coaches in Little League, and I had hippy dads who gave everybody a sticker, and I had dad's who smoked and drank beer in the dugout. They've all existed forever. My personal favorite was the coach who drank and smoked in the dugout but was somewhat competitive.

Bad News Bears I irl

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Like the Bad News Bears?

bad-news-bear-jersey-back_480x480.jpg

61KNteYNhTS._AC_UY1000_.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
I've always said I think basketball is best for lineman that need to pass block. It focuses on your feed and hips. You need to shuffle and stay in front of the defender in pass blocking. In wrestling, its more locking on and getting leverage to get behind them or into the legs. Pass blocking if you can stay between the defender and the QB, you have most of the problem solved, now just don't let them get ahold of the QB.
Both of them played football and wrestling.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I'm a relatively new parent (only child is 2.5, a girl), but I've seen a lot of guys with older kids turn out to be that kind of Dad. Guys that I thought were normal people before they started acting that way. My question is, is that just something that sometimes happens to guys? When their kids turn a certain age they turn into weirdos that live vicariously through them? Christ, I hope that doesn't happen to me.
In track you can tell them easily during field events. They stand all the time, pacing the fence like a caged raccoon and yell at the kid as if he or she are listening to them. I took pictures for our team and every meet you had that kind of dad. I felt sorry for the kid. My dad was a coach and there was one dad like that who was parent of my teammate. The parent was an alcoholic and showed up at practices drunk. My teammate asked my dad to get him out of there and my dad did. 30 years later that teammate still called my dad Mr and always thanked him for doing that.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Iowa took in $3M in beer sales in 2021, which was the first year they sold it at games. That covers all sports but football was $2.4M. Don’t see results since but can’t imagine it hasn’t grown.

It's sales as indicated. So not sure what they ultimately make. I will say that all but 14 teams sell alcohol and none have ever stopped.

The AD ended up with around 25% when all was said and done.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Not sure where to post this so I’ll just do it here( really need to be an Iowa everywhere thread). I was listening to firmly entrenched. I thought the topic of portal was intriguing than it just ended when Nick was still talk. Very weird

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Murphy keeps beating the drum that Iowa got screwed on the Minnesota game. I just don’t get it.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Murphy keeps beating the drum that Iowa got screwed on the Minnesota game. I just don’t get it.
I mean this in the nicest way towards Murph and Andy because I know they have to be broad experts in all sports at all levels, but their college football knowledge is terrible.

For instance, they don't know that literally 9 teams in the Big12 are power ranked higher than Iowa and that Iowa would be power ranked #10 in the Big12.
Also that literally all of the big10 west would be no higher than 11th in the Big12.
I don't think they seem to grasp how absolutely terrible the Big10 is this year.
That Iowa could continue winning without a quarterback and their 2 TEs.

Also when they talked about KSU losing their 2 quarterbacks to the portal.
They left because they have a 5 star freshman who played a lot this season & who is starting next year. Something Chris Williams or Chris Hassel knows.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I mean this in the nicest way towards Murph and Andy because I know they have to be broad experts in all sports at all levels, but their college football knowledge is terrible.

For instance, they don't know that literally 9 teams in the Big12 are power ranked higher than Iowa and that Iowa would be power ranked #10 in the Big12.
Also that literally all of the big10 west would be no higher than 11th in the Big12.
I don't think they seem to grasp how absolutely terrible the Big10 is this year.

They left because they have a 5 star freshman who played a lot this season & who is starting next year. Something Chris Williams or Chris Hassel knows.
Meh, they are lazy blowhards who do no research and just regurgitate Hawk fandom. That’s me being nice.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Yeah, I briefly started downloading the podcast because some posters I respect on this site swore to me it was a legitimate show and not the obvious Hawkeye jerk-fest I knew it to be when I stopped listening almost a decade ago. Mistake.

I knew about KSU's stud freshman QB and their segment about it today actually made me dumber about college FB and the Big 12 by omitting that part or not knowing about it. After listening this afternoon I just figured KSU was in absolute shambles at QB and forgot how great he looked when he played until you just reminded me, certainly better than any Iowa QB has looked in over a decade. I'd have been better informed having never listened, back to unsubscribe.

TGNC is on a radically different level and the rivalry aspect keeps it pretty honest without over the top homerism. Ditto for the Miller shows when he does them. Obviously all of the CF pods are much better on ISU content.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure where to post this so I’ll just do it here( really need to be an Iowa everywhere thread). I was listening to firmly entrenched. I thought the topic of portal was intriguing than it just ended when Nick was still talk. Very weird

We need a pinned thread for the incredible ISU podcasts on CF, IA Everywhere and WRNL and elsewhere.

It's weird we have have a mega-thread complaining about these obvious hacks pretending they aren't Iowa fans when there are like 20 hours a week of incredible podcasts now. The homerism when basketball comes around is even harder to endure, has Iowa even won anything this century?

The LE podcast on W&B is probably the best ISU related podcast that has ever happened. It never could have even been done in the way it deserved on radio.

Reactions: Cy Guy69