Kudos to Wally Burnham

May 28, 2009
Just five weeks ago, there was so many that was talking about how the defense just sucked, now there are those that say we need to wait to see how they do against a good team. YEP, they have come along way baby.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I am glad to see the progress of the defense and cannot wait to see what Wally will do in a few years with a few of his own players.

I only hope Wally is here in a few years. Same goes for Herman. There is no doubt the staff now is an upgrade from last year's staff overall.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
The season is young but you have got to give credit to everyone involved...coaches and players...at this point because 3-1 certainly has a nice ring to it!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I only hope Wally is here in a few years. Same goes for Herman. There is no doubt the staff now is an upgrade from last year's staff overall.

Considering Wally's in his 60s, this is his last stop (he's said so himself). If Wally's here only for a few years, it means either Rhoads' tenure was either a complete failure or Wally decided to hang up the clipboard. Wally's situation is entirely different than Herman's as Wally's career is in its waning moments whereas Herman's career is just beginning.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Considering Wally's in his 60s, this is his last stop (he's said so himself). If Wally's here only for a few years, it means either Rhoads' tenure was either a complete failure or Wally decided to hang up the clipboard. Wally's situation is entirely different than Herman's as Wally's career is in its waning moments whereas Herman's career is just beginning.

We're on the same page. Wally would be gone due to retirement. Herman would be gone due to advancement. Or both could be gone due to failure.

I'm saying, I hope none of those scanrios happens in the near future. Give us at least 3 or 4 years with this staff.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I watched my recording of the Iowa game a couple of days ago. I thought our defense looked pretty good first half,especially against the run. It wasn't until they got run down that Iowa started amassing yards. To me that says solid coaching but lack of depth. I'd give Wally a solid A for a grade.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
At LB, I think we'll see Klein, Knott, Lattimer and Taufoou getting more time as the year goes on and that experience will make them better. A JUCO like Earls and a couple of true FR for depth will make this group solid...I'm actually thinking it could be a better all-around group as they should upgrade speed at MIKE and be more physical at WILL.

DB, they'll miss James Smith, but they already have a JUCO committed plus O'Connell and Sandvig are solid players. I expect Benton to start opposite LJ. I think that he has more upside than even LJ. McDowell would move into Benton's spot at nickel back.

I agree that this D is much more fundamentally sound than any ISU team since maybe 2005. They may not be physically great, but they aren't out of position much and the tackling is WAY better than the last few years.

These guys might be solid players, but let's be honest. None of them are the kind of imposing players that the other Big 12 teams currently have on their roster and ISU has had in the past. I think we need Dobbins-like talent to compete in the Big 12. So I'm very concerned about how our defense will hold up once we start playing in the Big 12. Let's not forget that the ISU defense was pretty bad against Iowa... giving up 426 total yards and 5.5 yards/rush. Yes, Arnaud turned the ball over a lot, but Iowa still went on TD scoring drives of 41, 48, 58 and 84 yards.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
What I've notice regarding tackling is less often our guys are going for the big hit and instead wrapping and tackling in a fundamental way.

I almost wonder if Bolt taught the players to go for the big hit instead of the sure tackle.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Coach Burnham was brought in here to stop the spread. He was very highly regarded for having a scheme that could defend it. He hasn't even faced a spread team and has done a remarkable job!

I think he is getting the most out of our D line and our D-backs will have their chance to shine very soon. Like I said- I think Coach Burnham is doing a great job.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
What I've notice regarding tackling is less often our guys are going for the big hit and instead wrapping and tackling in a fundamental way.

I almost wonder if Bolt taught the players to go for the big hit instead of the sure tackle.

This. Also, not nearly as much arm tackling, and while they may not be going for the big hit, they are closing the gap on the tackle. They are not waiting for the ball carrier to get to them, they are moving into them. This saves yards, and makes quite a difference over the course of a game.

I would say our tackling on defense has improved dramatically since last year.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006

I can tell you from what one of the athletic trainers said that tackling wasn't even a focus during the season with Chizik's coaches. Not to say it wasn't an off-season focus, they just didn't tackle during the season in practice.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
On the season so far, we're holding opponents to a 3rd down conversion rate of 31% (17/55). Here's how that compares to previous seasons:

2009: 31%
2008: 51%
2007: 43%
2006: 45%
2005: 34%

It sure seemed like we couldn't ever get teams off the field last year, and the numbers sure seem to support that. Obviously it's early, and we haven't played the meat of the schedule yet, but 31% so far is encouraging to me.

Now, if the offense would start converting more than 37% this year, then we'd be in business. But that's a thread for a different day.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I can tell you from what one of the athletic trainers said that tackling wasn't even a focus during the season with Chizik's coaches. Not to say it wasn't an off-season focus, they just didn't tackle during the season in practice.

This is actually quite common.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron