KU this week

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Let's get passed the KSU loss. It's over. Done. No amount of talking about it will bring it back to life.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts? IMO, without ARob, we are in deep doo-doo. He's our offense. Our QB and receivers (for the most part) aren't doing their jobs. ARob was makes this team better when he's in the backfield.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
We need to get pressure on their quarterback or no chances.

If we can pass better, we've got a chance.

I like the way this setting up in Kansas may be a little over confident and we have a chip on our shoulder after last week.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think we score more in this one than we have in most other games - the KU defense has been giving up points. Well, I preface that with - if our defense can stay off the field for a bit.

Our D has been decent this year, when compared to the past few seasons. It's been a welcomed improvement. That said, this is the best offense we have faced by a mile. I'm very interested to see how we do against a team that can put up points.

I think rationally, KU wins by 10+. Our best chance to win is to force some turnovers by pressuring Reesing and to see something from the passing game we've yet to see all season - consistency.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I will say right now KU by 2 scores. We will see what happens with ARob, but I think we can compete and who knows what happens if we just give ourselves a chance.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I think we are in trouble. First of all, our defense is going to get sorely tested. Reesing, Meier, Briscoe, and Sharp will have a lot of fun at our expense. Our offense is not consistent enough to put up enough points to keep pace. We'll need Schwartz to grind it out and pick up some tough first downs. We'll need our receivers to find separation and get some YAC. And the turnovers really need to stop - Catlett's fumble with us leading 17-10 and marching downfield again with a chance to take control contributed as much to our loss as the blocked PAT.

I am thinking it will be lopsided - something like 38-17 KU.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
We need to get pressure on their quarterback or no chances.

If we can pass better, we've got a chance.

I like the way this setting up in Kansas may be a little over confident and we have a chip on our shoulder after last week.

It's on the coaches to keep the team from going into the abyss we saw last year after the KU game.

If they keep the team from quitting on each other we have a shot in this game. I would love to see these guys play with a chip in their shoulder, hopefully Rhoads and Co. instill a mean streak this week

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
This KU team will manhandle us. We have ZERO chance of winning this game.

That's the spirit! :jimlad:

KU has put up points, but they haven't exactly been playing the toughest schedule in the world (although, neither have we). If we can find a pass rush sometime this week, it'll be 10-15 point difference IMO. If not and they have all day to eat lunch and read the paper in the backfield, our D will get lit up for 4 quarters.

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
I understand that ARob has been a big part of our offense and will be missed but do people realize that we did just rush for 207 yards Saturday against a team that has only given up something like 94 yards/game and we didn't have him for 3 quarters of the game?

The key to this game won't be so much our offense (Don't get me wrong we do have to score to win) as it will be our defense. If we can get pressure on Reesing and knock their receivers off thier routes to mess with the timing then I think we hang tough in this game. Our D has been a pleasant surprise this year so lets hope they keep it up in this game. KU did only beat Southern Miss by 7 at home their last game so they may not be as good as they are hyped to be!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I understand that ARob has been a big part of our offense and will be missed but do people realize that we did just rush for 207 yards Saturday against a team that has only given up something like 94 yards/game and we didn't have him for 3 quarters of the game?

The key to this game won't be so much our offense (Don't get me wrong we do have to score to win) as it will be our defense. If we can get pressure on Reesing and knock their receivers off thier routes to mess with the timing then I think we hand tough in this game. Our D has been a pleasant surprise this year so lets hope they keep it up in this game. KU did only beat Southern Miss by 7 at home their last game so they may not be as good as they are hyped to be!

It's the other things as well. He can catch well out of the backfield. He is a great blocker too. It's the little things that make him special.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I think KU has better talent, so if talent prevails KU should win this game.

For some unexplainable reason, I have a positive gut feeling that ISU is going to be in this game right to the end.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
The best way to beat the spread IMO is to get pressure with your front four, particularly with the DTs coming right up the middle in the QBs face. We can't do that. If we resort to blitzing, eventually Reesing will hit for some big plays.

Odds are long but stranger things have happened.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Without A-Rob I am pretty sure we will lose this. Not handily but we will lose it because the little things won't be guaranteed like they would be if he was in.

I like Schwartz, a lot, but he does not have the experience of A-Rob or the shiftiness to find a hole in the zone and bust through it for a big run.

After watching a few KU games this year I think we can out physical them on both sides of the ball. If our d-line steps up like the first half of the game last year we will give them a dogfight because they have looked soft at times this year. If we treat it like we did KSU this weekend they will win this one pretty handily.

Agree with others though, our offense might very well score more than normal as the KU defense has left a little to be desired so far this year. I won't be surprised if something changes for them over the bye week though.

This much is true, KU is not invincible. No team is and we need to have confidence as fans that we can go in there and make this a game.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
The KU run defense is pretty good. KU struggles against really good passing teams. The defense finally came around in the second half of their last game. If they can continue to play like that they could have a pretty good year. My only disappointment with the offense is actually Reesing. I was worried about our O line because they are so young but they have looked good. Reesing took 5 sacks last game and 4 of them were on him. He had time and open receivers and he scrambled around until he got sacked. I think he is having trouble seeing over the line.

I think KU is due for a break-out game, there seems to be potential but they just haven't put things together yet. Iowa State hasn't played a team with a good offense yet so it will be interesting to see how your D does because so far they have played pretty good. Hopefully KU will not take ISU for granted after what happened in the first half of last years game. This is Big 12 football and any team is capable of beating another (unless it is a North team playing the better South teams) so I expect the Cyclone's best shot.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Is it possible that half of the team will be out due to injuries or arrests with their never ending fueding with the basketball team?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This KU team will manhandle us. We have ZERO chance of winning this game.

Do you mean that because we are iowa state we have zero chance of winning this game?

You could be right, I smell a blow out in Lawrence. Without A-Rob and with AA throwing the ball poorly it could get real ugly- real quick...

I went down to the Walden game which was 41-0, and it was homecoming and the crowd just kept wanting more scores out of the jayhawks. And of course Glen Mason obliged them!!!!!

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The best way to beat the spread IMO is to get pressure with your front four, particularly with the DTs coming right up the middle in the QBs face. We can't do that. If we resort to blitzing, eventually Reesing will hit for some big plays.

Odds are long but stranger things have happened.

Normally I agree, but Kansas has had trouble defending the blitz this year. Southern Miss brought LBers constantly and ended up with 5 sacks on Reesing. Wally needs to throw every pressure package that he has in his playbook at KU to take advantage of the OL blocking issues.