KU Police investigating report of teenage girl raped at KU’s McCarthy Hall

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For $3,100 you could probably replace the door and bumper of a Ford Focus. Some kid kicking it isn't going to cause enough damage to need to be replaced. Thats ridiculous. Nice to see the courts call them on that BS.
"Branson says Jackson ended up kicking the drivers door and taillight of the vehicle causing an estimated $1,100 in damage. Branson said another unkown person (Vick) did more damage and the total damage to the 2016 Ford Focus was estimated at over $3,100." WIBW

I'm just adding a word to clarify this release.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
RCJH baby. He's a prime time player for a hall of fame coach. The road goes through Lawrence, Kansas, baby! It's handled in the house!

LOL Lawrence justice, the NCAA, ESPN, the Big 12 Conference, Ku fans and all the other enablers.

Jackson is scheduled to be arraigned in Douglas County District Court at 3 p.m. April 12, seven business days after the NCAA championship game. In his statement, Jackson said he was “very sorry that this whole situation occurred.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...of-kansas/article134735694.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
RCJH baby. He's a prime time player for a hall of fame coach. The road goes through Lawrence, Kansas, baby!

LOL Lawrence justice, the NCAA, ESPN, the Big 12 Conference, Ku fans and all the other enablers.

Jackson is scheduled to be arraigned in Douglas County District Court at 3 p.m. April 12, seven business days after the NCAA championship game. In his statement, Jackson said he was “very sorry that this whole situation occurred.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...of-kansas/article134735694.html#storylink=cpy

The court date has nothing to do with the NCAA Championship game. The city I work for, we are scheduling municipal court dates almost 2 months out right now, and this is our slow season...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Everyone has slumps...they pull out of them eventually. Is it possible that the stress of the off-court issues kept her from recovering her game?
Agreed. Who knows what's going on in her life. If you're at a bar in the wee hours of the morning throwing drinks in the face of an old boyfriend then there might be some things going on in your life that might affect your performance in other parts of your life. Life in my early 20s was certainly full of unnecessary drama and stress that in hindsight was totally self imposed and avoidable with some better life decisions. It happens.

Still, the notion that there is some kind of pressure from the athletic department to cut this girls minutes as punishment for reporting the incident is absurd. As terrible as the women's team is, I would assume that there is much more pressure on the coach to field a competitive team that has a chance to win some games and I would think that if the coach felt that this girl gave them a better chance to win that she would be playing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
The court date has nothing to do with the NCAA Championship game. The city I work for, we are scheduling municipal court dates almost 2 months out right now, and this is our slow season...
Other than the fact this incident happened in early December according to the report and it has been known for at least 1 month as to who was involved. Which means in every normal situation, court date would have been in February/March. It is very convenient (and unusual) that the police separated out which player did damage to which specific part of the vehicle for filing the charges as it was clear the incident happened at the same time and they were acting in concert together on the damaged and in the harassment, intimidation and stalking of this woman. Typically the idea is to file the action at the highest possible charge so as to allow for plea bargaining down. So yes, the NCAA Championship does appear to have a lot to do with the timing.
If any KU fans believe it is acceptable for players on their team to first hit a woman multiple times and then to still be engaging in a pattern of harassment and intimidation by causing significant property damage over a year later, then I must assume they are hoping Art Briles is their next coach.
I previously respected Bill Self as a coach, but having no punishment for these acts loses that respect. As a parent, if my children did this, I guarantee they wouldn't be playing for a long time because the only way they will truly learn a lesson is if there is a real consequence (and it would be hard to run with my foot up their arse;) Having adults complicit (KU basketball and police) in making the consequence have minimum effect only teaches them they are above the law and that women are to be abused and intimidated. Great job KU!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
RCJH baby. He's a prime time player for a hall of fame coach. The road goes through Lawrence, Kansas, baby! It's handled in the house!

So scheduling Bragg's court case quickly was a ploy to get him back on the court ASAP and scheduling Jackson's case late is a ploy to keep him on the court. ever realize that there is literally nothing that could have happened here that you would have taken as acceptable?

When you are determined to see things as a conspiracy, you are guaranteed to succeed. It doesn't mean there is a conspiracy.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Other than the fact this incident happened in early December according to the report and it has been known for at least 1 month as to who was involved. Which means in every normal situation, court date would have been in February/March. It is very convenient (and unusual) that the police separated out which player did damage to which specific part of the vehicle for filing the charges as it was clear the incident happened at the same time and they were acting in concert together on the damaged and in the harassment, intimidation and stalking of this woman. Typically the idea is to file the action at the highest possible charge so as to allow for plea bargaining down. So yes, the NCAA Championship does appear to have a lot to do with the timing.
If any KU fans believe it is acceptable for players on their team to first hit a woman multiple times and then to still be engaging in a pattern of harassment and intimidation by causing significant property damage over a year later, then I must assume they are hoping Art Briles is their next coach.
I previously respected Bill Self as a coach, but having no punishment for these acts loses that respect. As a parent, if my children did this, I guarantee they wouldn't be playing for a long time because the only way they will truly learn a lesson is if there is a real consequence (and it would be hard to run with my foot up their arse;) Having adults complicit (KU basketball and police) in making the consequence have minimum effect only teaches them they are above the law and that women are to be abused and intimidated. Great job KU!
WTF are you even talking about? Harassment, stalking and intimidation?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

He was charged yesterday. The date the incident happened has no bearing on the situation. The date he was charged does.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Agreed. The wife of a coworker is involved in a vandalism case right now. Her car was vandalized by someone she works with in their work parking lot last September. They didn't get around to filing charges until December and the court case for the person being charged isn't until this May. My coworker is convinced it is because the lawyer of the accused knows he has some money and is dragging it out so he can milk as many hours of fees out of him as possible.

Every court system and every case is handled and scheduled differently. To assume that they all run the same is to ignore reality.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Looking at those stats, it doesn't seem near as bad. However, as you say some parents have blinders on, Ill remind you the same thing can be said for most fans. Lets not pretend that Bill Self has a lot of pull in the KU AD. To deny that would be ignorant.
I am sure he does. But it is clear that he knew about it, already doled out an internal punishment and moved on. Pushing the women's coach to sit her accomplishes nothing that benefits Self in any way. The ONLY thing that could happen as a result is to have it blow up in Self's face if it was discovered to have happened. Self seems smart enough to understand the risk/reward scale has only risk and no reward. He's no dummy.

There's simply no benefit to Self for doing it so why risk it?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Agreed. Who knows what's going on in her life. If you're at a bar in the wee hours of the morning throwing drinks in the face of an old boyfriend then there might be some things going on in your life that might affect your performance in other parts of your life. Life in my early 20s was certainly full of unnecessary drama and stress that in hindsight was totally self imposed and avoidable with some better life decisions. It happens.

Still, the notion that there is some kind of pressure from the athletic department to cut this girls minutes as punishment for reporting the incident is absurd. As terrible as the women's team is, I would assume that there is much more pressure on the coach to field a competitive team that has a chance to win some games and I would think that if the coach felt that this girl gave them a better chance to win that she would be playing.
Nice job rewording my comment. I'm not even going to bother correcting you because you knew exactly what you were doing when you did it. If anyone believes that's what I was talking about, they are as full of KU BS as you are.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Who knows what's going on in her life? What about what's going on in Jackson's life to violently to kick the door of a females car while she is in it

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
As an attorney, I am well aware how the system works and the discussions that go on during these to manipulate time frames. Yes, it happens frequently and clearly did here. I am not saying it is unique to this case other than how the charges were brought to get it to a misdemeanor level which was probably also part of the negotiations that have already occurred.

And yes, Random, seeking out a female individual's vehicle to cause significant damage to after previously assaulting that person in an effort to send her the message that you can still hurt her and you have others willing to assist is intimidation, harassment, stalking, etc. There is no WTF other than how ridiculous you look trying to defend any adult male acting that way toward a woman. Although since it is a random message board, you may still be a kid. If so, I hope you have learned better from your parents and adults in your life than what Jackson and Vick are learning from the adults in their lives. Because that message they are receiving is that winning a championship is more important than how you treat others.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Nice job rewording my comment. I'm not even going to bother correcting you because you knew exactly what you were doing when you did it. If anyone believes that's what I was talking about, they are as full of KU BS as you are.
I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that you weren't claiming that the stress of having her door kicked has been so hard to bear that she cannot function at a normal level athletically. Because that would be absurd.

Maybe her daddy can get a doctor to diagnose her with PTSD and go after Jackson's paycheck when he hits the NBA next year. Good grief.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
As an attorney, I am well aware how the system works and the discussions that go on during these to manipulate time frames. Yes, it happens frequently and clearly did here. I am not saying it is unique to this case other than how the charges were brought to get it to a misdemeanor level which was probably also part of the negotiations that have already occurred.

And yes, Random, seeking out a female individual's vehicle to cause significant damage to after previously assaulting that person in an effort to send her the message that you can still hurt her and you have others willing to assist is intimidation, harassment, stalking, etc. There is no WTF other than how ridiculous you look trying to defend any adult male acting that way toward a woman. Although since it is a random message board, you may still be a kid. If so, I hope you have learned better from your parents and adults in your life than what Jackson and Vick are learning from the adults in their lives. Because that message they are receiving is that winning a championship is more important than how you treat others.
Eh, the person involved in the alleged physical altercation was Lagerald Vick. The person who kicked her door was Josh Jackson. I know they have similar haircuts but they are in fact not the same people.

This is no more complicated than the details suggest; two people who have bad history argued at a gathering where too much alcohol was likely consumed. The girl threw a drink in the boys face and a friend of the boy's kicked the door of the car she got into standing up for his friend. It sounds like the events at nearly every apartment party I went to from age 21-24. Attempting to turn it into something more nefarious than that is a self serving agenda against KU basketball and those involved with it.

Jackson made a bad decision. His penchant for getting technical fouls tells me that he has a natural tendency to not control his frustrations well and this seems to be another example of that. Like the adjustment he has had to learn the hard way on the court, just shut your mouth when you are frustrated and let it go and your life is less complicated.

Last edited: