KU Fans

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I know a lot of people loathe KU fans and their basketball team, yet the vast majority rooted for them in the NC game.

After reading a post by sevenyearhawk instead of studying I went to KUsports.com and was pleased to see that alot of Jayhawk fans hold us in high regard. I have never met a KU student I didn't like and always appreciated what their athletics brought to the conference.

An interesting read.

KUsports.com Message Boards: Which other Big 12 school do you want to triumph?

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I think for most people this is an example of Conference Camaraderie (a phrase I am now looking to trademark).

While Big XII teams, and especially Big 8 teams, may be our bitter rivals in conference play, when it comes to intraconference play -- national postseason matches in particular -- there's no question that I'm going to root for them. At that point they are representing the quality and class of the other eleven teams, and their success is linked to the recognition of the others. I hold a high level of respect for the teams in the conference, and Kansas is probably at the top of that list.

Not that it keeps me from grilling my KU friends. Although it's been a couple of seasons since they didn't have a good comeback.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
They like us because we are innocuous. This would change if they started a wrestling program or we became competitive in anything else.:sad:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think most KU fans either have a healthy sense of fear or respect for ISU. We did give them a scare during the TF and LE earas. Not to brag but we do have THE best fan base in the Big XII if you weigh support versus success.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Their fans are terrible! You can't reason with them at all I get to deal with them on a daily basis. In Kansas City MU, KSU, NU, ISU and Iowa fans all have one thing in common they can't stand KU fans. They really think they are better then you. They won't consider ISU a rival at all even though since the start of the Big 12 ISU has more wins against KU then any other big 12 team and ISU has 3 wins in Allen Fieldhouse and the rest of the big 12 has a total of 4. Most of them also get really pissed off when you mention Tinsley or Stinson's names it's funny. Plus a good number of them consider North Carolina one of their main rivals even though they have only played 3 times in the last 20 years.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like KU fans a lot. They really pull for the Big 12 and they hate Mizzou and KSU, so they have no problem rooting for us.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I work with a KU grad (hasn't missed a televised KU Basketball game since he was 11 and at a funeral), needless to say he's had a good year...

I've also got a good friend from KU with whom I went to grad school. We actually initially became friends since we had the Big XII in common. (He was wearing a KU shirt an I was wearing a Iowa state shirt on our first day of grad school). Trouble is, that damn near everytime we've played KU since I've known him (the last bball win being the exception), they've beat us, in both football and basketball. It hasn't been much of a rivalry as of late.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
KU fans are on roids - they have big heads. Other than that, they are fine.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Here is my experience with KU fans. One on one, and people you know, no problem, fine people. Get a bunch of them together, and you have trouble. Most of them are as bad as college fans can be. Period. Sat by some at the basketball game this year in Hilton. KU was by far the better team, no question about that. But the officiating was horrible. The Kansas fans I sat by seemed to think it was just fine that KU didn't have a foul called on them in the first 13 minutes of the game. In my eyes, they are tied with CU fans for worst in the conference. Give me Mizzou or KSU fans over them anyday.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I'll root for KU (or any Big XII team) in the nonconference or in bowls or the NCAA tourney. I do think that their fans that travel are a little obnoxious. There's no reason to sing rock chalk at an opponent's arena, that is going overboard.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
KU fans are annoying. Their basketball fans are obnoxious and boo every foul called against them regardless how obvious it was. Plus the rock chalk Jayhawk KU chant has to be one of the most annoying things any school does. Their football fans were almost non-existent until this season. Best sign I saw at the KU game was one of their fans holding up one that said something like "KU football: a tradition since 2007"

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
KU is probably my favorite team in college basketball other than ISU of course. I never thought their fans were cocky even though they had every right to be.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Ruined my night by looking at this thread . . . you've got to be kidding me . . right? KU has some of the most obnoxious basketball fans in the United States . . .they think their crap doesn't stink. If they are paying you a compliment it is because they are on a good run against ISU. Sooo please stop the love fest.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I agree with the sentiment that KU fans individually are decent people. KU fans as a group are biased, obnoxious, and generally unpleasant to be around.

But I guess that's true with many schools.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I like Kansas basketball teams because they play the game the way it is suppossed to be played. Their players seem to keep their nose clean. As for their fans, they're okay. They are very cocky but they did just win the national title in basketball and win the Orange Bowl. I respect them because I know they are very passionate fans. Their fans are annoying but I respect and enjoy their basketball program more than any outside ISU of course.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
I love KU and really wished I were a JayHawk. You know they really do respect ISU. I wish we had more JayHawker Cyclones. Let me explan, we can enjoy more Big Twelve championship rides if we just get over our Cyclone inferiority complexes and become conference fans. Wouldn't it be more fun to throw on a Kansas or Texas T-shirt and join in on the fun? That way we will always be winners with a bevy of McDonalds AA to cheer as "WE" win with Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, et al. Gooooo Hawks! :notworthy:

Last edited: