KU Disappointed In Fans

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Wow filled with excuses.

Allow me to re-post something you wrote a mere 2 hours ago.

It is not getting done because ISU isnt winning football games. It also isnt getting done because we dont have a huge fan base. Most of our fan base doesnt donate a lot of money either, because they have no reason to. The economy has something to do with it but not the main reason. JP had a huge goal of what he wanted done, it was also unrealistic.

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

Reactions: Bobber

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
KU had over 50,000 for their first 3 games & then only 48+ for the ISU game. It just didn't make sense, you would think they would come for a Big 12 game. If they win Saturday people will be begging for tickets next week. The students leaving at half is amazing. I just think bball has spoiled them.

It's called fairweather fans with the emphasis on weather. Just like ISU, KU doesn't have nearly enough hardcore FB fans. When the weather gets bad, they start looking for an excuse not to go or to stay out after half. See ISU vs Mizzou in 2004...division title on the line and ISU could barely top 40k (and that's paid attendance). Real FB schools don't have that problem because for every weeny that can't handle the cold, there are more fans willing to take their spot. Luckily, ISU has made some decent strides in this area in recent years despite the lack of success.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I noticed that looking at the stands while watchin it on VS. The corners were WAY empty...with an undefeated ranked team. This is sad, and could very easily be the reason you see KU football have some success this year and go right back into the tank quickly.

After Reesing is gone they'll go back to average.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
In the half time interview he had to stop and catch his breath to talk several times... He can't walk and talk at the same time, thats not healthy.[/QUOTE]

I commented on this to Bos while we watched the game. KU fans need to have an intervention with Mangino. All joking aside, that guy is in danger.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
he looks like a giant blueberry in his blue jacket...maybe one day a pack of oompa loompas will roll him away to deflate him...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I wonder how many mini-packs and $10 ticket promotions KU is running this season?

:skeptical:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Allow me to re-post something you wrote a mere 2 hours ago.

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

Pretty big difference between excuses and reasons. Kansas has won, we haven't, Kansas is the primary athletic school in the state, we aren't. Kansas has more money than us in their athletic budget. In the end, there is no reason ISU has better fan support than Kansas other than that the fan base is that much more awesome.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
It's called fairweather fans with the emphasis on weather. Just like ISU, KU doesn't have nearly enough hardcore FB fans. When the weather gets bad, they start looking for an excuse not to go or to stay out after half. See ISU vs Mizzou in 2004...division title on the line and ISU could barely top 40k (and that's paid attendance). Real FB schools don't have that problem because for every weeny that can't handle the cold, there are more fans willing to take their spot. Luckily, ISU has made some decent strides in this area in recent years despite the lack of success.

Your absolutely right, Frak. I also remember a game in November against Colorado, not too many years back, on a beautiful November day when my wife and I were able to pretty much pick our seats. I don't recall the year, but it was a pretty darned good McCarney team and the game was an excellent game. Rarely do you see as nice of days in November as that one and I would have thought the place would have been full. We walked up to the stadium, bought tickets, and sat down in a very good seat (not the seats we purchased).

The excuse always seems to be that Iowa has two major schools so it splits the fan base, but come on, how many does Iowa State graduate every May. Many, if not most, of these graduates stay in Iowa, but still it is difficult sometimes to fill a 50,000 seat stadium. During the early 2000s, when Mac had those good teams, you shouldn't have been able to buy an ISU ticket at any price.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
There are no $10 promotions this year at KU. KU has actually made quite a bit on ticket sales this year, the cheapest tickets you could get were $50. I don't think I would make a comment about ticket promos when you could get $10 tickets for NDSU & Army or $15 tickets for your remaining games.

Reesings backup is the best passer on the team. Plus he's faster than Reesing and 5" taller. He probably won't have the intangibles that Reesing has (who does?) but he will run more often and his entire line will be back. KU has a lot of young talent, so the schools hoping KU will vanish with Reesing will be very disappointed. I look for the Defense to be better next year (how can it get worse) and the rushing game to be better because the qb will run more often similar to what ISU does and the passing game to not be as good.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
In the half time interview he had to stop and catch his breath to talk several times... He can't walk and talk at the same time, thats not healthy.

I don't understand why they don't put an incentive in his contract saying he gets a bonus of X for each pound lost. If they value him as a coach, they should try to help him get healthy.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
He makes enough money. What they need to do is have some contest and every pound he loses the athletic department donates a certain amount to the general college fund or some charity.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
He makes enough money. What they need to do is have some contest and every pound he loses the athletic department donates a certain amount to the general college fund or some charity.

Yeah, probably a better idea. I'm amazed he does as well as he does given his weight and stress level career.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I'm sure Lew has Plan B ready to go. Mangino just can't last at that weight.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The problem is that stadium is just a crap place to watch a game. The high seats are a long, long way from the field and the 1st about 15 rows are so low you don't want to sit in them. We had our pick of seats in 2005 (sweet mother... don't remind me) when we ran in and eventually we just moved up about 15 rows.

That said I'll be there in a few weeks to watch the KU/OU game.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I'd be scared for the furniture at a recruit's house. What are the odds he breaks a chair from sitting in it on a visit or messes up the mechanical's on a lazy boy?

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I'd be scared for the furniture at a recruit's house. What are the odds he breaks a chair from sitting in it on a visit or messes up the mechanical's on a lazy boy?

He doesnt have to worry about that, he just uses one of these

scooter.jpg

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
There are no $10 promotions this year at KU. KU has actually made quite a bit on ticket sales this year, the cheapest tickets you could get were $50. I don't think I would make a comment about ticket promos when you could get $10 tickets for NDSU & Army or $15 tickets for your remaining games.

How about you go back and try rethinking what was being said in my post, in context of the KU fan/attendance bashing.

(This is what I get for defending hawks. Lesson learned. :no:)

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
My bad, you got me there. KU was giving $10 promo tickets just a couple of years ago so I assumed that's what you were referencing. I'll take ISU's football fan base over KU anytime. If ISU was having this kind of success I think they would be sold out before the season starts. I'm hoping KU fan base will just be a slow grow. Maybe the Chiefs and Royals lack of success will help KU.