Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
...and that's where I struggle. They are certainly entitled to tell the story as they see it. I get that. But to pretend their experience is in any way dispositive as to the scope and nature of racial issues is where I have a hard time.

I don’t care what Kulick, Ward, and Kluver have to say about the “Iowa Way.” They can’t speak to how black players felt about Iowa’s culture. However, they can speak about some of the incidents that other players have alleged, because they were on the team and witnessed those incidents occurring.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Ignorance is no defense. Now that you know if you truly support the players you should be pushing for change. And wondering if a regime that has been in place for 20+ years and had players sit down with the staff approx 10 years ago with little or no changes. Had an internal investigation in 2018 with little or no changes, whether that staff should be in charge of the change when they have ignored it for so many years. Change is only happening because it came to the public view and wouldn't be done without the public scrutiny. Not much confidence in the existing regime can lead the change, do you?

In regards to the 2018 report - KF asked for input from the black athletes, and they brought forward issues like not being allowed to wear hats and jewelry in the football facilities, not listening to rap in the weight room, etc, and Kirk made changes based on those complaints. None of those players came forward with the issues that have been made public the last several months.

Perhaps KF was naive for thinking that was the root of the problem, but he asked his black athletes why the retention rate amongst black athletes was so low and implemented the changes that they specifically asked for.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don’t care what Kulick, Ward, and Kluver have to say about the “Iowa Way.” They can’t speak to how black players felt about Iowa’s culture. However, they can speak about some of the incidents that other players have alleged, because they were on the team and witnessed those incidents occurring.

Are these the same guys that contradicted ESPNs 8 confirmed sources regarding the DJK trash can hazing incident?

Speaking to which you were pretty big on the DJK is a liar band wagon. Care to recant?

kcbob79clone

In regards to the 2018 report - KF asked for input from the black athletes, and they brought forward issues like not being allowed to wear hats and jewelry in the football facilities, not listening to rap in the weight room, etc, and Kirk made changes based on those complaints. None of those players came forward with the issues that have been made public the last several months.

Perhaps KF was naive for thinking that was the root of the problem, but he asked his black athletes why the retention rate amongst black athletes was so low and implemented the changes that they specifically asked for.

What about the approx 2010 meeting coaches had with players on the same issues with no changes? How many times does Captain KirKKK need to hear about these issues?
2010 F2F on racism in the football program
2018 Investigation of racism in the athletic department, especially continuing in the football program
2020 Twitter and Facebook postings on guess what, racism in the football program

Perhaps KF was naive for thinking he could continue to do nothing.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Are these the same guys that contradicted ESPNs 8 confirmed sources regarding the DJK trash can hazing incident?

Speaking to which you were pretty big on the DJK is a liar band wagon. Care to recant?

There are also a number of former teammates who have refuted DJK’s account of what happened. DJK was not forced to put a trash can on his head, he was forced to carry/hold a trash can and voluntarily put it on his own head to goof off.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
What about the approx 2010 meeting coaches had with players on the same issues with no changes? How many times does Captain KirKKK need to hear about these issues?
2010 F2F on racism in the football program
2018 Investigation of racism in the athletic department, especially continuing in the football program
2020 Twitter and Facebook postings on guess what, racism in the football program

Perhaps KF was naive for thinking he could continue to do nothing.

After the 2018 investigation, he talked to his black players and implemented the changes they wanted to see. Sounds like a racist to me!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There are also a number of former teammates who have refuted DJK’s account of what happened. DJK was not forced to put a trash can on his head, he was forced to carry/hold a trash can and voluntarily put it on his own head to goof off.
So the ESPN article is wrong?

kcbob79clone

After the 2018 investigation, he talked to his black players and implemented the changes they wanted to see. Sounds like a racist to me!

You never have really answered as all you do is deflect deflect deflect. Are you OK with a program that had racial issues for at least 10 years and did nothing except small changes and buying the silence of the scapegoat? Are you OK if that makes you a racist?

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

What about the fact that they started a council following the 2018 report, they had one meeting, then Kirk stopped caring enough to meet again. Does that seem like somebody who can be trusted to lead a stark change? Especially considering the solution this time is....to start another council.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
You never have really answered as all you do is deflect deflect deflect. Are you OK with a program that had racial issues for at least 10 years and did nothing except small changes and buying the silence of the scapegoat? Are you OK if that makes you a racist?

No, I’m not okay with it. Changes need to be made, and they are already underway. Like many of his current and former players, I think KF is more than capable of leading those changes. If it turns out that he is not, Iowa should move on and find someone who can.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No, I’m not okay with it. Changes need to be made, and they are already underway. Like many of his current and former players, I think KF is more than capable of leading those changes. If it turns out that he is not, Iowa should move on and find someone who can.
You think someone who goes to court over landscaping is willing to change that easily?
LOL

kcbob79clone

What about the fact that they started a council following the 2018 report, they had one meeting, then Kirk stopped caring enough to meet again. Does that seem like somebody who can be trusted to lead a stark change? Especially considering the solution this time is....to start another council.

Yet Brodie0 thinks KF can be trusted. Really boggles the mind.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Having a hard time listening to CW talk about this topic on the radio during all this. Have certainly lost respect for his opinion as he is in the camp of Kirk is such a good man argument. It's on his watch bro, not sure how you can't see that. Good man argument opinion goes out the window. It's all on him, the top of the organization. Too many horrible situations have occurred on his watch, bottom line.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

OMG..... this is unbelievable.

You agree changes need to be made.... just not to the ones that were responsible for the problem from the start and have had numerous opportunities to fix that problem and have never done it yet. C'mon... you're better than this.

Then you have the audacity and arrogance to state at the end..... "If it turns out that he is not, Iowa should move on and find someone who can."? Really? This is laughable folks. KF has been told at LEAST twice that we know of that there's been a racial problem inside his program.... but the third time is a charm???

Would you have given JoePa at PSU the same courtesy?

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa

From the ESPN article:

At practice, Doyle ordered Johnson-Koulianos to jog around the field with a large yellow trash can covering his head.

Later...

LeBron Daniel, a defensive end for Iowa at the time, watched the scene unfold with his teammates.

"We all just looked and were shaking our heads," said Daniel, one of eight people at the practice who verified the incident to ESPN. "During water breaks, guys would be talking about, 'Hey, what the F is that?' A humiliating thing."

Someone even took a photo, which Doyle would later display in his office, sources told ESPN.

"When kids would go in there, you'd see this picture," Johnson-Koulianos said. "He has it up there like he's proud, like a trophy."

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OMG..... this is unbelievable.

You agree changes need to be made.... just not to the ones that were responsible for the problem from the start and have had numerous opportunities to fix that problem and have never done it yet. C'mon... you're better than this.

Then you have the audacity and arrogance to state at the end..... "If it turns out that he is not, Iowa should move on and find someone who can."? Really? This is laughable folks. KF has been told at LEAST twice that we know of that there's been a racial problem inside his program.... but the third time is a charm???

Would you have given JoePa at PSU the same courtesy?
52995d77f980d6d71bea05860f68710e.gif

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Woof, you are trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.