Kids in a bar/Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
If its a bar bar and most of their money is from beverages, then I wouldnt allow kids in either. Or as a parent I wouldnt bring my kid to in the first place. (however shouldnt be a city decision)

If most of money is from food, then kids should be okay, but that should be up to the resturant, bar, and or parents, not the freaking city.

AlanStanwyk

Mar 14, 2012
If its a bar bar and most of their money is from beverages, then I wouldnt allow kids in either. Or as a parent I wouldnt bring my kid to in the first place. (however shouldnt be a city decision)

If most of money is from food, then kids should be okay, but that should be up to the resturant, bar, and or parents, not the freaking city.

Winning post This thread is now over. Peace OUT!!!

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
....if its late at night and you're just there to drink/let loose...then that seems a bit weird.

It comes down to priorities. Some Parents need to booze and rather spend their last $10 on beer in a tavern with their kids in tow, and not pay a babysitter

oh, and they're driving home half sh#t-faced with kids riding shotgun. yet another criminal offense

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Because it could be dangerous for the kids who are there if the crowd is there specifically to get drunk. There's usually a different atmosphere at a dedicated bar than there is at a sports bar/grill type of place. More fights, more tendency to get drunk - and that kid has to drive home with the parent who is there solely to drink.

Or possibly the parent is enjoying a non-excessive level of alcohol, as are the other patrons.

I've spent a lot of time in bars. I can count on one hand the number of bar fights I've seen.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Or possibly the parent is enjoying a non-excessive level of alcohol, as are the other patrons.

I've spent a lot of time in bars. I can count on one hand the number of bar fights I've seen.

I've come to the conclusion that your urban/rural analysis is spot on, and it's also not worth arguing with the people who have never experienced anything other than bars being for drunks or people looking to get falling down drunk, but only go to bars so they're not drinking alone.

Never mind that there's a much healthier relationship with alcohol possible...where it's not treated as self medication to avoid one's problems, or it isn't treated as the front door key to hell...

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I think this is probably fair, although I'm trying to think of what scenario in which I'd even want to bring my kids with me to a non-restaurant bar. Some sort of private event, I suppose, otherwise if I just want a drink after work or something I'd grab a six-pack on my way home before I'd mess around with loading them up to head out to the bar. That just sounds like a pain in the ***.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I'm thinking of going to Whiskey River or Sporty's (non-campus type of bars) on a Friday night at 10. There may not be a ton of fights, but I rarely see anyone in condition to drive a child anywhere. And it just seems a little bit rougher (language, things you see, etc.) at that time of night than if a child goes to a bar at, say, 3 in the afternoon to play Pac-Man while Dad visits. The intentions of the patrons are usually different.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've come to the conclusion that your urban/rural analysis is spot on, and it's also not worth arguing with the people who have never experienced anything other than bars being for drunks or people looking to get falling down drunk, but only go to bars so they're not drinking alone.

Never mind that there's a much healthier relationship with alcohol possible...where it's not treated as self medication to avoid one's problems, or it isn't treated as the front door key to hell...

Actually, I went to bars with family members when I was little, both rural and in towns of, say, 12k. I just know I'd never take my child to one, especially not at 10 at night. I'll take her to Wallaby's or BWW, but not to a place like Deano's. If we wanted to drink and not get a babysitter, we'd just invite people over.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
All of that being said - I think 515 isn't going to be the type of place to encourage its patrons to get trashed and bring kids. It seems like a classier type of place than that, so this ordinance is a bit restrictive and not taking into account the type of establishment.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Want to see me worked up? Lets start a discussion about babies in movie theaters...

lol.

Our city used to have "Taste of Iowa' festival downtown. with some name bands and has-been bands--concerts all outdoors--a few thousand people. good times

Then I see some rube holding his 6-week old infant at 11pm near a large speaker which is blaring out big time decibels....

I just wonder what some parents are thinking?

Are you so irresponsible and cheap, you couldn't get a babysitter? (and endangering the health of an infant)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
All of that being said - I think 515 isn't going to be the type of place to encourage its patrons to get trashed and bring kids. It seems like a classier type of place than that, so this ordinance is a bit restrictive and not taking into account the type of establishment.

More classy than Whiskey River???? The 515 counting on the Rockefeller, Gates, Trump and Walton families for business? High class joint

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I think this is probably fair, although I'm trying to think of what scenario in which I'd even want to bring my kids with me to a non-restaurant bar. Some sort of private event, I suppose, otherwise if I just want a drink after work or something I'd grab a six-pack on my way home before I'd mess around with loading them up to head out to the bar. That just sounds like a pain in the ***.

I don't have kids (which should be obvious) but this seems like a logical/rational reason to not bring kids to a bar.

Also, not mentioned here but I'd like to address the whole rural thing. I grew up in DeWitt, IA, population 4900, at that time. There were/are 4 bars in town. 2 are straight up bars and growing up my parents literally never took us there. The other 4 served food, and had pool tables, darts and that kindof stuff. We frequented those regularly and played pool and all that jazz at those places. In small town Iowa, these places are often the only place to eat so there is no issue there.

I cannot think of a single classmate of mine that was in either of the bars growing up, it wasn't appropriate or allowed or for the most part even in anyone train of thought to bring their kids to those places.

Even in our neighboring town of Grand Mound, Iowa (population 500)... there wasn't this whole "Dad's bringing the kids back from Davenport but wants to swing by for a drink before going home thing." They would drop their kids off... and then go back to the bar. Maybe things were different in the west part of the state.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Want to see me worked up? Lets start a discussion about babies in movie theaters...

Those people are actually the ******* worst. Out of context though, I think your other complaints about people with kids are a little harsh. You can't win that fight because as soon as you start opting out of stuff because you can't find/afford a sitter you catch **** for that too.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
More classy than Whiskey River???? The 515 counting on the Rockefeller, Gates, Trump and Walton families for business? High class joint

I am thinking of the old, pre-remodel Whiskey River that didn't serve food. I haven't been in there since the remodel, I think it's more like a sports bar now, isn't it?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Again, it's a small town thing. In our case it was more likely that we were helping our dad work on the farm, and the bar was on the way home, and he saw someone's truck outside that he wanted/needed to talk to.

It wasn't like "I really want to go out drinking, but have these damn kids with". It's very common for people to just stop for a quick beer or two on the way home, and not be the center point of their day.

I'm thinking of going to Whiskey River or Sporty's (non-campus type of bars) on a Friday night at 10. There may not be a ton of fights, but I rarely see anyone in condition to drive a child anywhere. And it just seems a little bit rougher (language, things you see, etc.) at that time of night than if a child goes to a bar at, say, 3 in the afternoon to play Pac-Man while Dad visits. The intentions of the patrons are usually different.

I doubt I was ever in the bar at 10:00 on a Friday as a kid. I'm talking about happy hour ish or weekend afternoon times.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I am thinking of the old, pre-remodel Whiskey River that didn't serve food. I haven't been in there since the remodel, I think it's more like a sports bar now, isn't it?

I'm in the wayback machine too. Haven't been there since any renovation.

Whiskey River Classic was good place

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Again, it's a small town thing. In our case it was more likely that we were helping our dad work on the farm, and the bar was on the way home, and he saw someone's truck outside that he wanted/needed to talk to.

It wasn't like "I really want to go out drinking, but have these damn kids with". It's very common for people to just stop for a quick beer or two on the way home, and not be the center point of their day.

Yea, that makes sense and seems reasonable. And I fully cop to growing up with parents that just didn't go to bars when I was growing up and probably never had anything heavier than light beer in the house.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
In the southeast breweries are distinctly different than bars and promote a family atmosphere, especially North and South Carolina. They even have family days where they set up waterslides, etc. Nobody generally goes to a brewery to get drunk, they just go to sample a few beers and the breweries aren't even open after 8 or 10 generally.

Not sure how 515 is but unless breweries are far different in Iowa than everywhere i've been I don't really get the outrage acting like parents are taking kids to Cy's and staying out until 2 in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.