Kids in a bar/Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If I was the proprietor of 515 and the ordinance was overturned I would simply move my business to a town that welcomed it.

Like others I have heard that Clive is very unfriendly to Business mainly bar type businesses. Anyone remember the fast food restaurant on 86th a while back that started serving alcohol with the meals? Didn't Clive pretty much pass an ordinance to shut that place down?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Sounds like 515 is in a win-win situation. If the can get the ordinance revoked, they can still promote their family friendly atmosphere. If they can't get anything done, they get the free publicity that they are "fighting for their clientele". Looks like a good PR move to me.

I don't know if it's solely PR. I think they may be fearful of losing business to a place that serves food fulltime. But they clearly are generating publicity.

But otherwise, I'm not sure what the beef is. I go to 515 quite a bit and I've never seen a kid there - or at least that I've noticed. The only food THEY serve are cheese trays and have ice cream bars in a small fridge, and don't have any sort other beverage. And aside from a tv that is rarely on except a big local sporting event - there's no other entertainment. So not sure who is taking kids there or why?

They do try an promote some group activities. There's a running group the beginning of each month, a knitting group every few weeks and several other things like that. I don't know that they've done charity events, but Confluence has been the HQ and sponsor of several events that families may participate in. Perhaps that's what they're angling for.

Maybe Clive needs to think about that lawyer who keeps bringing his little purse dog into 515 all the time.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think the mental picture one conjures up when they think of a bar is having a huge influence on everyone's opinion.

A) a small town bar with a pool table, darts, maybe a foosball table
B) metropolitan bar that caters to mostly 21-26 year old singles/couples
C) dive-bar comprised mostly of regulars and blue collars
D) brewery that is well-lit, has pool tables, shuffleboard, darts, tv's, etc
E) biker bar

Never been to 515, but from their website it looks like they are catering to the 20 something crowd. Doesn't really look like a place to take a kid, but unless the kid was making a scene, I wouldn't be opposed to someone else bringing theirs.

Last edited:

DIRustCohle

Apr 15, 2014
Ville Platte
IMHO it has way less to do with if kids should or shouldn't be in a bar/ sports bar, or how people feel about alcohol, and way more about what people do (or don't do) with their kids while they are in there.

One of the biggest things that parents of young kids need to understand, is nobody else gives a crap about your kids!

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Within the letter of the law, I'll take my kid (almost 5 yo) any place I damn well please.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
As a father of 2 young girls, I have enough respect for those that don't have/don't like kids. If I really need to go to an establishment like this, I'll find a sitter.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Sure, what the hell, take your kids everywhere: bars, strip joints, firing ranges, dog fights, crack houses, snuff films... How dare anyone else have an opinion on what is appropriate for YOUR child?!?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
As long as there is a sober parent to drive the kid home, i don't see an issue. Us and friends will take our babies out on an occasional Saturday to watch a game / drinks. But there is always one parent who doesn't drink to get the kids home safe.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When I was out with my dad, after a boy scout meeting for example, he'd stop at the Atom tavern (where he cashed his paycheck on Friday after work), and he'd knock back a beer or two, and I'd have a couple cokes. We knew the family that owned it, and several of the patrons were good friends of the family. No big deal. They did serve hamburgers and frozen pizza, along with chips, etc.

But that was then, this is now.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Sure, what the hell, take your kids everywhere: bars, strip joints, firing ranges, dog fights, crack houses, snuff films... How dare anyone else have an opinion on what is appropriate for YOUR child?!?
What's wrong with teaching your kid how to be safe and correctly handle a firearm.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Then DON'T. Why get the gov't involved? :confused:

Because it could be dangerous for the kids who are there if the crowd is there specifically to get drunk. There's usually a different atmosphere at a dedicated bar than there is at a sports bar/grill type of place. More fights, more tendency to get drunk - and that kid has to drive home with the parent who is there solely to drink.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I can't read the original story (facebook blocked at work). Can someone copy/paste for me? Does it read like patrons of 515 complained to keep kids out? Is 515 opposed to it?

While I don't think it's a good idea for kids to be in a current bar setting, I think each establishment should have that final say. It would surprise me to have a bar want to allow kids if even a quarter of their customers have an issue with it.

I believe that at least one of the owners of 515 has children. I would guess they'd want to visit Daddy at work on occasion, and I think this would prevent that from being possible?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Yes, porky, we're all bad parents...let them watch TV, take 'em to whorehouses, etc.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: cyrevkah

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I love extremism

Status
Not open for further replies.