KFAN is reporting Majerus to Iowa

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
Honestly, wouldn't ESPN have something on this if it was close to being true, he does work for them... Also why would they announce it this weekend. Every sports person in America is in Atlanta not IC.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Even if he said on ESPN that he has accepted the Iowa job, the guy just can't be believed, with the history he has.
I'll believe it when I see him in Hilton getting his butt handed to him.

rkurth

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not so sure this would be a great hire. The Big 10 will be a lot harder to compete in as compared to being at Utah. How long has he been out of coaching? I would rather have a young, up and coming coach as compared to a coach that was good years ago. I'm glad we have McDermott. Wouldn't trade for Majerus for anything.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Majerus can flat out coach. When I used to live in Las Vegas, the Utes would regularly crush UNLV and they were regularly the class of the conference. It was scary how good they were. Give Majerus a bigger platform than the Mountain West to recruit from, and watch out!

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I can't seem to find any mention of a rumor that Majerus is going to be the next Iowa coach, let alone a confirmation. In fact the latest rumor on the Rag's site suggests Lowery is rumored to have spoken to Iowa. Have any other media outlets in Iowa picked up on this report, or is it only KFAN?

dsouth

Nov 24, 2006
actually when eustacey was at utah state and majerus at utah, there was two great coaches in the state of utah. some great games.

9seven

Apr 15, 2006
Indianola/Boone
Majerus can flat out coach. When I used to live in Las Vegas, the Utes would regularly crush UNLV and they were regularly the class of the conference. It was scary how good they were. Give Majerus a bigger platform than the Mountain West to recruit from, and watch out!

Not saying Majerus can't coach, but flat out beating anyone in the MWC at the time wasn't exactly hard. It is a mid major now and then it was even worse top to bottom... Again i know Majerus can coach, but take account that it was the MWC

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Majerus is a good coach. But heart attacks and diabetes probably result in him not getting the Iowa job. There would be a lot of uncertainty about the future if he were hired. There are a lot of good jobs out there. Iowa is way down the list in terms of national stature. They might be fortunate to get Lowery. Barta made an announcement that Iowa would be getting a prominant coach with Division I experience. Does a mid-major coach like Lowery fit that description?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Not saying Majerus can't coach, but flat out beating anyone in the MWC at the time wasn't exactly hard. It is a mid major now and then it was even worse top to bottom... Again i know Majerus can coach, but take account that it was the MWC

Finishing second in the nation while having Utah as a platform to recruit from is a feat; it makes the success that Majerus had that much more remarkable

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Majerus is a great coach, but if they were talking about him for ISU, I would be really concerned about his health problems. Recruits and their parents could be too. That could limit the amount of success that he would have at Iowa. I'd rather see him than Lowery at Iowa, given those things.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
First of all, the TV station spreading all the runors about Majerus is KGAN, not KFAN. They carry the Hawk games, and can hardly be considered a reliable source. Second, every word reguarding the coach hiring comes directly from the Hawk message boards, mostly Hawkeye report. I spent some time there yesterday, and everything Kevin reported last night on KGAN, I had read on Hawkeye report. The Gazette and KCRG are owned by the same outfit, and while John Cambell of KCRG would sacrifice his grandmother for a chance to cover the Hawks full time, they are not reporting a coach hiring. Hawkeye report even had Barta giving Majerus a physical before the contract would be signed, and had the band alerted for a pep rally Sunday afternoon. All of it is internet rumor. Haven't we seen enough of that at ISU to know better?