Kevin Love Trade Scenario (Poll)

Would you trade Andrew Wiggins in a deal for Kevin Love?

• Yes

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.5%

• Total voters

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Of course that talk that way. Why wouldn't they?

I don't blame them I just see a lot of people who agree with MIN's first offer and think the Cavs are going to be forced to accept that. I just wish people could see it for what it is, an attempt to get leverage.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Aldridge has already said he wants to stay in Portland and Minnesota isn't going to let Love hit the free agent market.

They can't stop him from becoming a free agent. Sure, they can delay it by making him stay in MSP for the last year of his contract, but he's single and ready to mingle after that. I'm sure the Lakers and Warriors will come calling with nice offers, but that semi-open stretch 4 slot on a young, budding, talented Cleveland team (all the things that brought LeBron over) and, well, LeBron is going to be awful tempting...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
They can't stop him from becoming a free agent. Sure, they can delay it by making him stay in MSP for the last year of his contract, but he's single and ready to mingle after that. I'm sure the Lakers and Warriors will come calling with nice offers, but that semi-open stretch 4 slot on a young, budding, talented Cleveland team (all the things that brought LeBron over) and, well, LeBron is going to be awful tempting...

Yep.

Love has publicly stated that he is leaving because the Wolves can't even make the playoffs. If GS trades for him they won't have Klay Thompson, Barnes, or Lee anymore. If I'm Love I tell GS I'm not resigning there.

I think he would rather lose on the west coast than lose in Minnesota, but I think he'd rather win titles in Cleveland than go to a middling team in the west.

Cleveland doesn't have to go get Love right away either. I don't see any scenario where they aren't a top 3 team in the East at the deadline. By that time Bennett, Waiters, and Thompson will hall have increased stock from playing with LeBron. It doesn't hurt Cleveland to wait like people think it will.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Yep.

Love has publicly stated that he is leaving because the Wolves can't even make the playoffs. If GS trades for him they won't have Klay Thompson, Barnes, or Lee anymore. If I'm Love I tell GS I'm not resigning there.

I think he would rather lose on the west coast than lose in Minnesota, but I think he'd rather win titles in Cleveland than go to a middling team in the west.

Cleveland doesn't have to go get Love right away either. I don't see any scenario where they aren't a top 3 team in the East at the deadline. By that time Bennett, Waiters, and Thompson will hall have increased stock from playing with LeBron. It doesn't hurt Cleveland to wait like people think it will.

If Love hits free agency I think he'll head for LA and then be followed there by Westbrook. Both are LA guys.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Here is what the Magic got in the trade for Dwight Howard:
Arron Afflalo,
Al Harrington,
Nikola Vucevic,
Moe Harkless
Josh McRoberts,
Christian Eyenga,

3 future 1sts, none until 3 years later.

That was in a complicated 4 way trade.

Smacks of hershel Walker trade.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Couldn't agree more.

And almost nobody comes into the NBA skilled enough to be a stud scorer. Kevin Durant shot 28% from 3 his rookie year and 43% from the field.

Give me a professional player in the 1% of the 1% of elite athletes with an ok jumper and make it his job to find one. Dudes do it every single year.

Durant, Jordan, LeBron, Khawi Leonard, Kevin Love even.

(don't read into those names, just examples of guys improving jumpers over their careers)

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6606/damian-lillard

Weber State Stud.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If I'm Minnesota, unless I'm wowed by an offer like getting Wiggins and picks then I hold onto Love and see what happens during the season. The T'Wolves haven't made the playoffs in nearly a decade, there's some value to the franchise in just making the playoffs even if Love walks. Plus they still have some leverage in a sign and trade with Love after the season is over. And who knows maybe Dieng continues to play as well as he did at the end of last season, Lavine has a big rookie year, the T'Wolves make the playoffs and you can convince Love to take a 2 year deal with an opt out after the following season so he can join the 2016 monster free agent class too.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If I'm Minnesota, unless I'm wowed by an offer like getting Wiggins and picks then I hold onto Love and see what happens during the season. The T'Wolves haven't made the playoffs in nearly a decade, there's some value to the franchise in just making the playoffs even if Love walks. Plus they still have some leverage in a sign and trade with Love after the season is over. And who knows maybe Dieng continues to play as well as he did at the end of last season, Lavine has a big rookie year, the T'Wolves make the playoffs and you can convince Love to take a 2 year deal with an opt out after the following season so he can join the 2016 monster free agent class too.

I think it will be a deadline move and I'm fine with that. I am anxious to see all the young talent play for a while with LeBron. The Cavs don't need Love for the first half of the season, they need him for essentially the finals.

And from what I have read from Timberwolves fans and media, the Wolves would have to basically make the finals for Love to reconsider coming back. Either way, in the West I think it's a pretty big longshot.

Rubio and Pekociv as your #2 and #3 players is just not enough in the west, especially with no real quality role players.

The reality is the Wolves aren't tanking because they don't have a first round pick. They are going to lose Love either way. Either they get a great rebuilding package or they let him go for nothing and spend a few years tanking.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think it will be a deadline move and I'm fine with that. I am anxious to see all the young talent play for a while with LeBron. The Cavs don't need Love for the first half of the season, they need him for essentially the finals.

And from what I have read from Timberwolves fans and media, the Wolves would have to basically make the finals for Love to reconsider coming back. Either way, in the West I think it's a pretty big longshot.

Rubio and Pekociv as your #2 and #3 players is just not enough in the west, especially with no real quality role players.

The reality is the Wolves aren't tanking because they don't have a first round pick. They are going to lose Love either way. Either they get a great rebuilding package or they let him go for nothing and spend a few years tanking.

As you've pointed out several times, no one has gotten a great rebuilding package for trading a big time player on the last year of his deal. Waiters-Bennett and late first round picks certainly wouldn't fall into that category either.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
As you've pointed out several times, no one has gotten a great rebuilding package for trading a big time player on the last year of his deal. Waiters-Bennett and late first round picks certainly wouldn't fall into that category either.

You keep saying late first round picks but the reality is it will probably be a lottery, a mid first, and a late first.

All of those picks being in the next year is valuable as well. You don't have to wait 4 years to get the picks.

And no picks they get from any other team will be early firsts. That's not how the NBA works. Love going to any team will make that team's own pick much less valuable. The Cavs have two picks that aren't theirs.

And teams have gotten tools to rebuild with, but never a #1 pick. A transcendent superstar to be is not a part of a rebuilding package and never has been. Waiters/Bennett/Thompson and 3 1sts IS a great rebuilding package. That's not really debatable. It's better than anything I've seen in the past 10 years for a superstar. The Wolves want Wiggins because he is there, not because he is fair value.

Maybe they should call the bucks for Jabari or the Sixers for Embiid? Or the Hornets for Anthony Davis?

If it's a Love sign and trade, they will end up getting an even worse deal.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You keep saying late first round picks but the reality is it will probably be a lottery, a mid first, and a late first.

All of those picks being in the next year is valuable as well. You don't have to wait 4 years to get the picks.

And no picks they get from any other team will be early firsts. That's not how the NBA works. Love going to any team will make that team's own pick much less valuable. The Cavs have two picks that aren't theirs.

And teams have tools to rebuild with, but never a #1 pick. A transcendent superstar to be is not a part of a rebuilding package and never has been.

If it's a Love sign and trade, they will end up getting an even worse deal.

How so? They probably don't get Memphis' pick until 2017, the Bulls have the right to swap picks with the Cavs so that pick will be mid to late 20's at best. The Heat with Bosh-Wade-Deng-McRoberts is going to be a playoff team, getting two picks in the 20's doesn't do much for me. This isn't the NFL, if your pick is outside of the lottery you're happy to just get a rotation guy. Boston has Brooklyn's unprotected picks in 2016 and 2017, I would much rather have those picks than what Cleveland has.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
How so? They probably don't get Memphis' pick until 2017, the Bulls have the right to swap picks with the Cavs so that pick will be mid to late 20's at best. The Heat with Bosh-Wade-Deng-McRoberts is going to be a playoff team, getting two picks in the 20's doesn't do much for me. This isn't the NFL, if your pick is outside of the lottery you're happy to just get a rotation guy. Boston has Brooklyn's unprotected picks in 2016 and 2017, I would much rather have those picks than what Cleveland has.

Memphis was a 7 seed last year. If they go down just two spots they will be picking in the lottery this year. The Cavs pick will be in the late 20s, that is true. There is no way the Bulls finish ahead of the Cavs.

I'm not sure sure about the Heat. I think they finish as a 5-8 seed in the East, which will be good for a pick in the late teens.

What is the plan for the Wolves to be good otherwise? Have a big time free agent come? Lol. Nobody wants to play there. They couldn't even get a coach there. They don't have any draft picks. Their best other offer involves a bench player who regressed last year, an overpaid stretch 4 who can't shoot, and Draymond "6 ppg" Green with no draft picks.

Like I said my guess on what happens is nothing until the trade deadline. There is no reason for either side to budge until then. Maybe a third team will fix it.

You focus so much on your inflated idea of what you could possibly get for Love, and not enough on what others will offer.

The Wolves aren't getting Wiggins. That's over. They can go look for another Wiggins from another team and come back when they are rejected. Their options are extremely limited by Love's ability to not re-sign wherever he doesn't want to play.

I would love to see a non Golden State, non Cleveland trade that you think is realistic where Love would re-sign that both teams would take.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Memphis was a 7 seed last year. If they go down just two spots they will be picking in the lottery this year. The Cavs pick will be in the late 20s, that is true. There is no way the Bulls finish ahead of the Cavs.

I'm not sure sure about the Heat. I think they finish as a 5-8 seed in the East, which will be good for a pick in the late teens.

What is the plan for the Wolves to be good otherwise? Have a big time free agent come? Lol. Nobody wants to play there. They couldn't even get a coach there. They don't have any draft picks. Their best other offer involves a bench player who regressed last year, an overpaid stretch 4 who can't shoot, and Draymond "6 ppg" Green with no draft picks.

Like I said my guess on what happens is nothing until the trade deadline. There is no reason for either side to budge until then. Maybe a third team will fix it.

You focus so much on your inflated idea of what you could possibly get for Love, and not enough on what others will offer.

The Wolves aren't getting Wiggins. That's over. They can go look for another Wiggins from another team and come back when they are rejected. Their options are extremely limited by Love's ability to not re-sign wherever he doesn't want to play.

I would love to see a non Golden State, non Cleveland trade that you think is realistic where Love would re-sign that both teams would take.

Memphis won 50 games last year, they had the third best record in the West when Gasol came back from his injury. They've upgraded this offseason by adding Vince Carter and Jordan Adams to replace Mike Miller. I'm not sure why you're so convinced they will fall off next year. Especially when you seemed to have no idea that they've been one of the ten best teams in the league for each of the past three years.

Getting Waiters, Bennett and three mid-late first round picks does nothing to make Minnesota good, it just fills roster spots. And if the Wolves aren't getting Wiggins, then Love probably isn't going to Cleveland. Cleveland can't Love the max unless he comes via a trade. Just waiting to sign him at the end of the year is going to difficult for Cleveland, especially with Tristan Thompson, a fellow Rich Paul client, up for an extension too.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Memphis won 50 games last year, they had the third best record in the West when Gasol came back from his injury. They've upgraded this offseason by adding Vince Carter and Jordan Adams to replace Mike Miller. I'm not sure why you're so convinced they will fall off next year. Especially when you seemed to have no idea that they've been one of the ten best teams in the league for each of the past three years.

Getting Waiters, Bennett and three mid-late first round picks does nothing to make Minnesota good, it just fills roster spots. And if the Wolves aren't getting Wiggins, then Love probably isn't going to Cleveland. Cleveland can't Love the max unless he comes via a trade. Just waiting to sign him at the end of the year is going to difficult for Cleveland, especially with Tristan Thompson, a fellow Rich Paul client, up for an extension too.

Cleveland absolutely can sign Love without a trade.

Verajao makes $10 million with an expiring. Thompson has a $5 million expiring contract. The Cavs can waive Haywood's $10 million deal next year. They have 3 1st rounders if they wanted to pay someone to take some salary cap relief. They have the MLE(5.5 million) and the cap space exception (2.7 million)

Have you ever considered that maybe Waiters, Bennett, and Thompson are good players? Waiters is already a starting level player. Thompson is as well. Bennett has elite, elite potential, size, and athleticism. He has lost 30 pounds and is going to be a contributor this year. As a CLE fan I would like to have them, but Love is worth it if they go. If the Cavs didn't have Wiggins, the Wolves would be fine with that trade from the get go.

Go ahead and give me another trade scenario. I'd love to hear it.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Cleveland absolutely can sign Love without a trade.

Verajao makes $10 million with an expiring. Thompson has a $5 million expiring contract. The Cavs can waive Haywood's $10 million deal next year. They have 3 1st rounders if they wanted to pay someone to take some salary cap relief. They have the MLE(5.5 million) and the cap space exception (2.7 million)

Have you ever considered that maybe Waiters, Bennett, and Thompson are good players? Waiters is already a starting level player. Thompson is as well. Bennett has elite, elite potential, size, and athleticism. He has lost 30 pounds and is going to be a contributor this year. As a CLE fan I would like to have them, but Love is worth it if they go. If the Cavs didn't have Wiggins, the Wolves would be fine with that trade from the get go.

Go ahead and give me another trade scenario. I'd love to hear it.

LOL I'm done after this...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron