Kevin Love Trade Scenario (Poll)

Would you trade Andrew Wiggins in a deal for Kevin Love?

• Yes

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.5%

• Total voters

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If you were the Cavs, would you trade Wiggins in a deal for Kevin Love?

I personally would hold out and try to offer Waiters+Thompson+Bennett and their 3 2015 firsts. That deal would be better than anything else they can be offered, especially if Klay Thompson is off the table.

The Wolves say they want players and not picks but I don't see Love re-signing anywhere they trade him if the whole team has to be gutted to get him.

Pros and Cons-

Golden State:

I could see the Wolves trading him here if they can get Klay/Barnes/Lee, but will Love want to re-sign there when he could walk onto a team in CLE where the starting lineup could be Irving/Wiggins/LeBron/Love/Verajao with Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson off the bench (Depending on who gets moved for cap space). And 3 picks in the next draft to improve the team.

Is Love willing to go to a gutted team to play on the West Coast? Nobody knows but I would guess no.

David Lee- Makes like $15 million per year, doesn't play any defense, 3 years left on a bad deal
Harrison Barnes- Simply is not very good. Not a starter on a playoff team and has low potential.

Boston:
I'm not going to get into it because I don't think Love will re-sign here. There is pretty much no reason for him to. But they don't have much to trade and if they did they would have a gutted team for him to join.

Boston is on the east coast and is a bad team. So I'd be shocked

Cleveland:

The Cavs would not have to gut their team of starters to get Love. The Cavs have by far the best team to join, which is not only talented but suits Love's style of play absolutely perfectly. Immediately the favorite to win the title every year for the next 5 years. Love is 25, LeBron 30, Kyrie 21, Waiters 21, Wiggins 20, ect.

Bennett lost a ton of weight this offseason too, so I am interested to see if he can be a serviceable player off the bench when in shape because he has some incredible, incredible athletic talent and size.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd try to keep Wiggins if at all possible. I forgot that Cleveland had that many picks. I would think that's a solid building block for Minnesota if they could use it properly.

Of course, it's Minnesota, so that's a problem, but that problem exists with every trade option.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If you were the Cavs, would you trade Wiggins in a deal for Kevin Love?

I personally would hold out and try to offer Waiters+Thompson+Bennett and their 3 2015 firsts. That deal would be better than anything else they can be offered, especially if Klay Thompson is off the table.

The Wolves say they want players and not picks but I don't see Love re-signing anywhere they trade him if the whole team has to be gutted to get him.

If I was the Cavs I would absolutely try to avoid trading Wiggins, but if I was Minnesota I wouldn't take any offer from Cleveland that didn't include Wiggins. In your scenario, that's a lot of pieces you're giving up but none that would really excite me that much. None of those three picks is going to be higher than 11, and most likely they all will be in the 20's. So three late first round picks, two average players and one guy who was a bottom ten player in the league last year. I'll pass.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If I was the Cavs I would absolutely try to avoid trading Wiggins, but if I was Minnesota I wouldn't take any offer from Cleveland that didn't include Wiggins. In your scenario, that's a lot of pieces you're giving up but none that would really excite me that much. None of those three picks is going to be higher than 11, and most likely they all will be in the 20's. So three late first round picks, two average players and one guy who was a bottom ten player in the league last year. I'll pass.

I think the Cavs players are severely underrated.

And in what world is Memphis going to be a top 10 team in the league next year? In the western conference? They might be in the lottery. And as far as draft picks go, Kevin Love only wants to go to a contender. So any contender who adds Love will have a crappy draft pick. And less of them.

And nobody else has offered jack for Love yet. Harrison Barnes may be the most overrated player in the NBA the way people view him.

Golden State:

I could see the Wolves trading him here if they can get Klay/Barnes/Lee, but will Love want to re-sign there when he could walk onto a team in CLE where the starting lineup could be Irving/Wiggins/LeBron/Love/Verajao with Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson off the bench (Depending on who gets moved for cap space). And 3 picks in the next draft to improve the team.

Is Love willing to go to a gutted team to play on the West Coast? Nobody knows but I would guess no.

David Lee- Makes like $15 million per year, doesn't play any defense, 3 years left on a bad deal
Harrison Barnes- Simply is not very good. Not a starter on a playoff team and has low potential.

Boston:
I'm not going to get into it because I don't think Love will re-sign here. There is pretty much no reason for him to. But they don't have much to trade and if they did they would have a gutted team for him to join.

Cleveland:

The Cavs would not have to gut their team of starters to get Love. The Cavs have by far the best team to join, which is not only talented but suits Love's style of play absolutely perfectly. Immediately the favorite to win the title every year for the next 5 years. Love is 25, LeBron 30, Kyrie 21, Waiters 21, Wiggins 20, ect.

I'm just going to put this in the OP.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think the Cavs players are severely underrated.

And in what world is Memphis going to be a top 10 team in the league next year? In the western conference? They might be in the lottery. And as far as draft picks go, Kevin Love only wants to go to a contender. So any contender who adds Love will have a crappy draft pick. And less of them.

And nobody else has offered jack for Love yet. Harrison Barnes may be the most overrated player in the NBA the way people view him.

Golden State:

Boston:

Cleveland:

I'm just going to put this in the OP.

The world where they've been a top ten team for the last three years?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The world where they've been a top ten team for the last three years?

Fair enough I guess they were the 9th best last year. 7th seed in the west fooled me.

EDIT: Also, the pick can not be given unless the Grizzlies miss the playoffs. It is top 5 protected and 15-30 protected. Only top 5 protected the next year and unprotected the year after that. They finished 7th in the west and have no improved. I'd expect them to pick anywhere from 10-14.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Fair enough I guess they were the 9th best last year.

EDIT: Also, the pick can not be given unless the Grizzlies miss the playoffs. It is top 5 protected and 15-30 protected. Only top 5 protected the next year and unprotected the year after that. They finished 7th in the west and have no improved. I'd expect them to pick anywhere from 10-14.

It has the same protections for 2015 and 2016, it goes down to only top five protected in 2017. And I would say they have improved, their main offseason move has been bringing in Vince Carter to replace Mike Miller and their first round draft pick Jordan Adams looked great in the Orlando summer league. They still have Gasol, Randolph, Conley, they were 40-19 last year when Gasol was healthy. I would be shocked if they were picking in the 10-14 range next year.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It has the same protections for 2015 and 2016, it goes down to only top five protected in 2017. And I would say they have improved, their main offseason move has been bringing in Vince Carter to replace Mike Miller and their first round draft pick Jordan Adams looked great in the Orlando summer league. They still have Gasol, Randolph, Conley, they were 40-19 last year when Gasol was healthy. I would be shocked if they were picking in the 10-14 range next year.

Well if they go down two spots in the west they will be 14, even if they have a better record than the teams in the east.

Also, you are mistaken. What I posted is correct. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Cavaliers.htm

Traded Jon Leuer, $6.4M trade exception to Grizzlies for Marreese Speights, Josh Selby, Wayne Ellington, first round pick in first draft 2 years after Grizzlies send first round pick to Timberwolves via Rockets (protected #1-5, #15-30 in 2015-16, top 5 in 2017-18, unprotected in 2019) (?-?) on 2013-01-22

Last year these teams finished higher than Memphis:

San Antonio
OKC
LA Clippers
Houston
Portland
Golden State

I don't see them jumping any of those teams.

Then they were ahead of Dallas and Pheonix, who I could easily see jumping them.

Last edited:

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
What about Chicago?

Boozer, Taj, Mitovic, and a 1st is better than anything on the table. I'd add Butler as well. Bulls are paranoid about trading really good role players for superstars though.

Not sure if they can add Boozer. Might need to amnesty him.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well if they go down two spots in the west they will be 14, even if they have a better record than the teams in the east.

Also, you are mistaken. What I posted is correct. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Cavaliers.htm

Traded Jon Leuer, $6.4M trade exception to Grizzlies for Marreese Speights, Josh Selby, Wayne Ellington, first round pick in first draft 2 years after Grizzlies send first round pick to Timberwolves via Rockets (protected #1-5, #15-30 in 2015-16, top 5 in 2017-18, unprotected in 2019) (?-?) on 2013-01-22

Last year these teams finished higher than Memphis:

San Antonio
OKC
LA Clippers
Houston
Portland
Golden State

I don't see them jumping any of those teams.

Then they were ahead of Dallas and Pheonix, who I could easily see jumping them.

What I said is the same thing you posted, it has the top 5 and 15-30 protections for both this year and the following year, which is 2015-16. What you said and what you posted is not the same thing.

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
What I said is the same thing you posted, it has the top 5 and 15-30 protections for both this year and the following year, which is 2015-16. What you said and what you posted is not the same thing.

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

Oh wow my bad. I was reading that as the draft after the 15-16 season. Even after double checking it. Bad reading comprehension.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
What about Chicago?

Boozer, Taj, Mitovic, and a 1st is better than anything on the table. I'd add Butler as well. Bulls are paranoid about trading really good role players for superstars though.

Not sure if they can add Boozer. Might need to amnesty him.

Why haven't I heard any talk about the Bulls being interested? I am not so sure the Wolves would want Boozer and his contract.

The only offer I've seen CHI give is Taj Gibson, Tony Snell, and the #16 & #19 picks from before the draft.

Speak of the devil

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine 1m
Unless Bulls have salary-cap trick no can see right now, looks like they will be forced to amnesty Carlos Boozer by Wednesday's deadline

So with Boozer amnestied and their signing of Gasol, I don't see any way they could fit under the cap.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why haven't I heard any talk about the Bulls being interested? I am not so sure the Wolves would want Boozer and his contract.

The only offer I've seen CHI give is Taj Gibson, Tony Snell, and the #16 & #19 picks from before the draft.

Speak of the devil

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine 1m
Unless Bulls have salary-cap trick no can see right now, looks like they will be forced to amnesty Carlos Boozer by Wednesday's deadline

So with Boozer amnestied and their signing of Gasol, I don't see any way they could fit under the cap.

Bulls appear to become the same old Bulls, a player short of winning.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Yes. Kevin Love is arguably a top 5 player in the league. At least top 10. You definitely trade an unproven player for a player who is proven all star, still young, and still has room to get better. Andrew Wiggins might be an all star someday, but he won't be there for years. He also might not ever amount to anything. You never know.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Yes. Kevin Love is arguably a top 5 player in the league. At least top 10. You definitely trade an unproven player for a player who is proven all star, still young, and still has room to get better. Andrew Wiggins might be an all star someday, but he won't be there for years. He also might not ever amount to anything. You never know.

If the only way to get Love was to give up Wiggins, I think I would do it. But I don't believe he needs to be included to get Love when push comes to shove.

So for me it isn't Wiggins or Love, it is Love or Wiggins plus a chance at Love.

Especially if Love prefers CLE over anywhere else. He could essentially force a trade there and that would make it impossible for MIN to get Wiggins.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Here is what the Magic got in the trade for Dwight Howard:
Arron Afflalo,
Al Harrington,
Nikola Vucevic,
Moe Harkless
Josh McRoberts,
Christian Eyenga,

3 future 1sts, none until 3 years later.

That was in a complicated 4 way trade.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
From Hoops Hype:

Chris Mannix: One exec on Cavs chance at K-Love w/out including Andrew Wiggins. "No way. If I'm Minnesota, I want Wiggins, Dion Waiters and two No. 1's.

Help Support Us

Become a patron