Kansas to Big 10?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get that he is trying to keep things realistic, and on most of his observations, he is correct. But state it once and let the thread drive on...repeating it a million times just pisses people off. After all, we are Cyclone fans, we follow this team no matter what the record. Hope, often times, is all we have. This time though, unlike 2011, we actually have a few more intangibles that could help us out.
To quote deadeye though, prove that we're better off than in 2011. Because he refuses to believe we're in better shape.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
So why did it do better than OU-Florida and Texas-Colorado? A&M vs. UNC??

Man that Oregon brand is just so much better than those schools listed above right?
Yeah Oregon is a way better football brand than A&M, UNC, and Colorado. Oregon sells more gear than almost anyone. I used to see people with Oregon stuff on even in small town Iowa. How many people do you think are randomly walking around Oregon with ISU gear.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Yeah Oregon is a way better football brand than A&M, UNC, and Colorado. Oregon sells more gear than almost anyone. I used to see people with Oregon stuff on even in small town Iowa. How many people do you think are randomly walking around Oregon with ISU gear.

So why wasn't Phoenix buzzing about Oregon? You just said nobody in Phoenix cared about the game. Even with mighty Oregon in town? Weird.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Odd that you left Oklahoma and Texas out of your response.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah they're 100% bigger than UNC and Colorado, I was more arguing that A&M, Texas, OU and Florida are bigger brands, which they are.

Either way though, your initial argument that "if everyone was home, the ratings should've been great" was debunked considering it did terrific ratings. You then moved the goal posts to "well it was because of Oregon". Lol

I'll clear it up for you.. Iowa State hasn't seen an uptick in viewership because of their brand or anything along those lines. They're seeing an uptick because they're good at football and people enjoy watching good football teams.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Yeah they're 100% bigger than UNC and Colorado, I was more arguing that A&M, Texas, OU and Florida are bigger brands, which they are.

Either way though, your initial argument that "if everyone was home, the ratings should've been great" was debunked considering it did terrific ratings. You then moved the goal posts to "well it was because of Oregon". Lol

I'll clear it up for you.. Iowa State hasn't seen an uptick in viewership because of their brand or anything along those lines. They're seeing an uptick because they're good at football and people enjoy watching good football teams.
So if you're good at football, people watch. Interesting.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

Plus it’s a great story. The closest thing I could relate it to is northwestern in 1994 when they went to the rose bowl.

people still watch them because they fell in love with that story

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Plus it’s a great story. The closest thing I could relate it to is northwestern in 1994 when they went to the rose bowl.

people still watch them because they fell in love with that story
And this year, people will watch because we're going to be the "prove it" story. If we can go out there and walk the walk, we'll gain a lot of respect. And that doesn't mean we're all of a sudden going to get a call from the B1G after this year, but being successful at football and drawing eyes on television is literally the most important thing at the moment and the one thing we can actually control.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I get that he is trying to keep things realistic, and on most of his observations, he is correct. But state it once and let the thread drive on...repeating it a million times just pisses people off. After all, we are Cyclone fans, we follow this team no matter what the record. Hope, often times, is all we have. This time though, unlike 2011, we actually have a few more intangibles that could help us out.

Maybe I am just being a homer here for ISU, but I tend to think we have a lot of intangibles, in fact more than almost every other candidate for expansion.

1. We are an AAU school, and academics do matter to college presidents that have the final say. We are not Harvard or Yale, but we are the highest ranked school left without a conference.

2. We are 30 to 40 minutes from Des Moines and its growing population and more important its airport. Closer to fly and then bus up to Ames than many of the other schools left in the conference. KU and KSU would be KC, closer than both, OSU would be Ok. City, again closer, Baylor would be Dallas, we are closer, and WV is Pittsburgh a couple of hours away, the only school closer to an airport would be TCU but then you have the traffic in Dallas to contain with.

3. We have a long history of success in both of our basketball programs and our wrestling program.

4. Our football attendence the last full year 2019 would have placed us right behind Iowa in the Big 10 and 3rd in the Pac 12.

5. While other schools have seen their football season tickets and attendence drop over the last 5 years, ISU is one of the few that has seen their increase, an not just a few hundred but by thousands.

6. Our football team was ranked at the end of the year last year, and starts out in the top 10 in the preseason, and us and OU are the favorites to play again in the championship game again this year.

The only 2 items ISU lacks is proximity to a large major city, but few teams have that, and no storied history in football, but that is changing.

We are not ND or USC, but we are better than most schools that are going to be available to move to a new conference in next few years.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Let's be honest here: The real reason why OU and Texas are leaving is because ISU is about to dominate the conference for years to come. Both schools will become 2nd fiddle. Thus if you are going to relegate yourself to that lower status, you might as well go to a different conference that pays better.

The trophy case manufacturer in Oklahoma might want to pull up stakes and come up to Ames. More business to be had in the coming years. ;)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I did find a poll that shows Rutgers has the most fans in NYC at 20%. It is a university with 50000 undergrads. Not really surprising.

For a school of 50k undergrads they averaged around 30k fans at home games during the 2019 season and about 6k for an NCAA Tournament basketball team. A sellout at the rack is 8k.

Might have a lot of students and alumni in NY area, but Rutgers is an afterthought behind Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, Islanders and Rangers. When I lived there the most rabid college fan bases I ran into were Notre Dame, Syracuse and Penn State (no specific order). I think ACC schools like UNC and Duke fans were more vocal than Rutgers.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Vanderbilt would be an awesome school for any conference outside of the SEC to grab. Top notch academics, wealthy alumni, Nashville market, and pretty decent sports top to bottom. I think their FB team would do okay if they weren't playing against the SEC big dogs. It makes it easier for schools that play in conference against them to recruit Tennessee too.

This post right here shows you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to markets and how that translates into supposed viewers and value.

Have you ever been to Nashville or know ANYONE who lives there? I lived there for a year and had family that lived there for 6 years. Nobody cares about Vanderbilt sports. No one! It's Tennessee Vols everywhere and that's all you will see. Vandy is a fine institution but it has little to no value as an athletic program. Why? They have NO FANS. Sure, they could pull the miracles of all miracles and land a Bill Snyder and build a program over 20 years, but that scenario was a once in a century deal that KState lucked out on.

Rutgers already had a nice run previously with Schiano but it did very little for their following. It would take a minimum of a decade of success for that to change and even then it's unlikely. You also forget that there are (usually) a million other things to see and do in NYC outside of college football. It's part of the reason some small population states have schools with insane budgets. There is NOTHING ELSE TO DO and college sports is life for those people. It's the same reason why the fanfare for teams like USC and UCLA are relatively lacking given their "market size". People don't care and the ones that do likely moved from somewhere else so they care about their home state team.

Market size alone doesn't matter. But the combination of market size AND one that contains a passionate fanbase is. There's a reason Texas annihilates Cali in revenues and ratings. Both have large populations but Texas CARES about college sports (football). Cali/LA don't.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It's likely a dated assumption with streaming but why else did Rutgers and Maryland join the B1G?

At the time capturing "markets" was all the rage. Advertisers and cable companies were duped into believing these large state schools would automatically bring the eyeballs which theoretically made them valuable. With cord cutting, more accessible data, and an increasing prevalence in common sense as showed those assumptions were flawed. NYC is the biggest city in the country by a large margin. College Station is closest to Houston, which is small by comparison. Which school is/was more valuable as an athletic addition? Rutgers or TAMU? You don't need to be out of grade school to answer that question.

If you look at a lot of large, successful athletic programs NONE hail from large tv markets as a standalone. You don't see ASU, USC, Miami, Gtech, Maryland (DC), Boston College, etc dominating the landscape. Why is that? Well, historically the NE and the West care LESS about college sports than other parts (South and Midwest) of the country. That, along with other factors, translate into FANS that elevate the importance of said sports/athletic programs. If it was all about markets/population Alabama, Iowa, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc would be perennial bottom feeders. Instead it's about fans which comes from a combination of rabid fanbases (which can sometimes occur without a lot of success...just look at US), success, and a lack of competition for extracurricular time. NYC? There are a MILLION things I could do on a Saturday in September. In Iowa? We can **** pigs while being bit by no-see-ems (**** those bugs) or we can watch/follow Cyclone/Hawk football.

Some people in this thread (namely deadeyededric) don't seem to understand/grasp the dynamics of the last paragraph very well.