K-State's AD put out these 7 B12 options for football ...

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A spring season is workable for most players, but could be an issue for elite players who would be eligible for the NFL draft in spring 2021.

To have a 2 month (at most) off season before NFL camps would be little down time. There is an issue today if elite players skipping bowl games. I would expect a lot of elite players to skip their senior year.

Tua benefitted from 5+ months to rehab and ensure getting drafted in the 1st round. With a spring season not sure he would be a 1st round pick.
So they sitout then. BFD, this is a pandemic, they’ll get games in even if it means a few star players are missing it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So they sitout then. BFD, this is a pandemic, they’ll get games in even if it means a few star players are missing it.

This is May 1. Football season is 120 days away. Covid 19 is a serious issue, but I think we are going to find limiting spread is going to be manageable as the summer progresses. It's not like people with Covid 19 are radioactive.

I fully expect ISU will be playing FB on Sep 1 or by Oct 1 at the latest.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I fully expect ISU will be playing FB on Sep 1 or by Oct 1 at the latest.

I think we'll have football but no fans. Schools are going to want to prevent havinig to shut down again, and inviting 50k-100k into town is a great way to kick off a local outbreak. So we won't fill the stadiums, but the games will be held so that programs can still get their TV money.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think we'll have football but no fans. Schools are going to want to prevent havinig to shut down again, and inviting 50k-100k into town is a great way to kick off a local outbreak. So we won't fill the stadiums, but the games will be held so that programs can still get their TV money.

I think no fans is a popular statement in the media. But I think there will be fans, maybe limited to ISU Students & Faculty.

Depending on what we learn over the next couple months fans could include:
  • People who already had virus if they are immune or not likely to get severe case.
  • Limit attendance to people from counties with limited new cases. This requires testing. This seems like a big hurdle, but between 50-60% of Iowans get a flu vaccine annually. So if tests are available, a lot of people can be tested in a 2-3 month window through same means as flu vaccine.
  • Limit attendance to 50% capacity- every other seat.
  • Implement mitigation strategies to limit risks of spread at events: masks, gloves, taking people's temps at gate, no concessions or cashless concessions, e tickets, no tailgating. MLB and NBA will provide best practices over the summer.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think no fans is a popular statement in the media. But I think there will be fans, maybe limited to ISU Students & Faculty.

Depending on what we learn over the next couple months fans could include:
  • People who already had virus if they are immune or not likely to get severe case.
  • Limit attendance to people from counties with limited new cases. This requires testing. This seems like a big hurdle, but between 50-60% of Iowans get a flu vaccine annually. So if tests are available, a lot of people can be tested in a 2-3 month window through same means as flu vaccine.
  • Limit attendance to 50% capacity- every other seat.
  • Implement mitigation strategies to limit risks of spread at events: masks, gloves, taking people's temps at gate, no concessions or cashless concessions, e tickets, no tailgating. MLB and NBA will provide best practices over the summer.

So in other words no fans.

Reactions: CascadeClone

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
1. Starting the season as scheduled in early September (Can't see it)
2. Starting the season in late September and ending games in December
3. Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule
4. Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule
5. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January (LOL imagine Ames then?)
6. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March (Makes most sense)
7. Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring
If the season cant start in early September what is going to change that allows the season to start in late September or early October? Seems like it's either full season in fall or a spring season of some sort.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If the season cant start in early September what is going to change that allows the season to start in late September or early October? Seems like it's either full season in fall or a spring season of some sort.

I tend to agree with that also.

We're either ready in early Sept, or probably not at all in the fall most likely.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

There is some thought that Covid-19 will have a seasonal aspect like the flu virus. It may be less present or contagious during summer/early fall.

So the window for an abbreviated season plus championship might be Sep/Oct/early Nov vs. later fall

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So in other words no fans.

Last time I looked students and faculty are Cyclone fans. So saying "no" fans isn't correct. My guess they could fill 15,000 seats for football. Sure that isn't 60,000- but they will make some noise.

IMO that would be worst case. Like I said earlier, I think things will get figured out over the next 120 days.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
There is no way football can be played between December and mid April on the current surface of Jack Trice. The grass field would be an absolute disaster.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
1. Starting the season as scheduled in early September (Can't see it)
2. Starting the season in late September and ending games in December
3. Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule
4. Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule
5. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January (LOL imagine Ames then?)
6. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March (Makes most sense)
7. Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring

Feel like 8th graders could have come up with these options.

Edit: Not that I’m blame the ADs. More that I blame @surly for posting them

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Right now I’d say the only way to avoid a scheduled split season or starting up and having to shut down again due to another outbreak is to start an abbreviated season around mid August. Even with a 10 game regular season I still doubt you’d get the playoffs finished though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Last time I looked students and faculty are Cyclone fans. So saying "no" fans isn't correct. My guess they could fill 15,000 seats for football. Sure that isn't 60,000- but they will make some noise.

IMO that would be worst case. Like I said earlier, I think things will get figured out over the next 120 days.

We were a bowl team last year and outside of a couple games the student attendance was not impressive.

I am willing to bet that if it comes to a limited attendance policy the AD will limit it based on donor levels. They aren't going to lose out on donations by not allowing the high rollers football tickets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron