"Just throw it deep"

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I swear the guy asking is also a Cyclone fan that call into CW's post game shows
Does not sound like Helmet Guy or Cyclone Larry/Jerry. Does anyone else call them that isn’t some guy driving to Fort Dodge? I miss when some kid used to call in.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does not sound like Helmet Guy or Cyclone Larry/Jerry. Does anyone else call them that isn’t some guy driving to Fort Dodge? I miss when some kid used to call in.

Ugh you're right I meant Cyclone Jerry.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
He's being ridiculously obtuse.

He doesn't like being questioned, especially when they are valid.

Penn State has only played 2 teams with a pulse.

His QB is sitting at 6.9 yards per attempt. That's getting into Hawkeye Land.

Any decent football team has a couple deep plays in the playbook.

Never liked this guy.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Franklin's a doosh of the highest order, but he's right here, some dork sports writer who thinks he should be scheming the offense needs to be put in his place.

In my opinion he is wrong. High level coaches will take a shot even if it don’t work. It keeps the defense honest. Just like in MMA when you shoot for a double leg. Even if it don’t work it keeps the opponent knowing he has to respect that part of the game.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
What the #### is wrong to throw it deep when the other team has 11 men within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage? No, let's throw a 15 yard side line route for3 yards when you need 7 for a first down.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
What the #### is wrong to throw it deep when the other team has 11 men within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage? No, let's throw a 15 yard side line route for3 yards when you need 7 for a first down.
Coaches always love coming up with excuses for playing chicken **** football.

Turnovers loom so large to them that they prefer the safe, predictable, and ineffective play calling.

They forget that explosive plays can also slant the game in your favor, and have the added bonus of forcing your opponents to change their defensive philosophy.

Reactions: clonedude

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Never liked this guy.

I think I mostly agree with this. It's becoming clear that PSU is going to have an issue if they ever need to score quickly.

If the reason for all of the short passes is because they can't throw deep they may lose 3 times this year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
In my opinion he is wrong. High level coaches will take a shot even if it don’t work. It keeps the defense honest. Just like in MMA when you shoot for a double leg. Even if it don’t work it keeps the opponent knowing he has to respect that part of the game.

What other pass play do you tell your QB to go to one spot no matter what? He's not saying they shouldn't throw it to the deep routes, his problem is ignoring formations, alignments, audibles, progressions, etc. to get it there. That's the part that makes his skin crawl as a coach.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Most people don't know how to read safeties. If they're pressing and you have one on one I think it's fine to take a shot if you like your receiver in that match up.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022

Never liked this guy.
maybe that's what it takes to finally end this stupid question.

I read this exact sentiment weekly on here

Reactions: VeloClone

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
What other pass play do you tell your QB to go to one spot no matter what? He's not saying they shouldn't throw it to the deep routes, his problem is ignoring formations, alignments, audibles, progressions, etc. to get it there. That's the part that makes his skin crawl as a coach.

Sure, but that is the intentionally obtuse part of his answer. He picked out that specific point so he didn't answer the other basic part of the question (why hasn't there been more effort in throwing deep)

I get the angst. Penn St has a good football team but I don't think you can beat Ohio St or especially Michigan playing that way. It's like he watched Greg Davis coordinated Iowa games in the offseason and thought he'd like to try that.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah I just think there's a difference between planning for downfield attempts and a high-level coach being told to throw it deep by a sportswriter. I know their schedule hasn't been all that crazy yet but it's not like their offense is struggling.

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron