"Just throw it deep"

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yeah I just think there's a difference between planning for downfield attempts and a high-level coach being told to throw it deep by a sportswriter. I know their schedule hasn't been all that crazy yet but it's not like their offense is struggling.

As long as they maintain a lead in every game and never fall behind this all won't matter.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He's being ridiculously obtuse.

He doesn't like being questioned, especially when they are valid.

Penn State has only played 2 teams with a pulse.

His QB is sitting at 6.9 yards per attempt. That's getting into Hawkeye Land.

Any decent football team has a couple deep plays in the playbook.

Never liked this guy.

I think the guy asked the question in a way that made him sound like a message board moron, but the concept isn't that different than a few weeks ago when ISU seemed committed to intentionally starting 100% of our possessions at 3rd and 9.

I do think Penn State is often a bit of a fraud since they usually aren't even competitive against the top teams in the conference and don't have a lot of ranked opponent wins in recent memory. Who cares that they drub unranked teams if they don't really beat anybody?

Here are their only ranked wins the past few years...years they typically are just always ranked in 5th-15th range.

This year - #24 Iowa
2022 - #8 Utah in bowl, (not competitive in the big two games)
2021 - #16 Wisc
2020 - nobody

That gets you a permanent top ten ranking I guess. Even ISU has plenty of 4 year stretches where we beat more than 3 ranked teams.

• Agree
Reactions: joefrog

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think the guy asked the question in a way that made him sound like a message board moron, but the concept isn't that different than a few weeks ago when ISU seemed committed to intentionally starting 100% of our possessions at 3rd and 9.

I do think Penn State is often a bit of a fraud since they usually aren't even competitive against the top teams in the conference and don't have a lot of ranked opponent wins in recent memory. Who cares that they drub unranked teams if they don't really beat anybody?

Here are their only ranked wins the past few years...years they typically are just always ranked in 5th-15th range.

This year - #24 Iowa
2022 - #8 Utah in bowl, (not competitive in the big two games)
2021 - #16 Wisc
2020 - nobody

That gets you a permanent top ten ranking I guess. Even ISU has plenty of 4 year stretches where we beat more than 3 ranked teams.

I think this is behind the angst from that reporter (and presumably many in the PSU fanbase)

The offense is scoring plenty of points, but they've not especially looked good doing it. OSU hasn't looked great on offense either but if they're down 7 with less than 2 minutes I feel pretty confident they'll at least have a shot of scoring the TD. I don't feel the same way with Penn St.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Franklin is just being a dooosh here, which is normal for most head coaches.

So does Franklin only throw it deep when guys are wide open? That’s stupid. He knows that’s not true at all.

The caller made total sense actually…. and Franklin had to treat him like he knew nothing about the game.

If Franklin only throws deep when guys are wide open…. then he’s clueless. You absolutely should throw it deep once in a while to loosen up the defense.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Franklin is just being a dooosh here, which is normal for most head coaches.

So does Franklin only throw it deep when guys are wide open? That’s stupid. He knows that’s not true at all.

The caller made total sense actually…. and Franklin had to treat him like he knew nothing about the game.

If Franklin only throws deep when guys are wide open…. then he’s clueless. You absolutely should throw it deep once in a while to loosen up the defense.
No matter what is a stupid qualifier but I agree Franklin was using his position to talk down to him, probably because he knows it's a criticism that's a little bit warranted.

Reactions: clonedude

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Reporter should have asked the question differently. The way he asked it is why he got the response he did. That said, almost all HCs are arrogant aholes and think everyone else is ignorant about FB.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
No matter what is a stupid qualifier but I agree Franklin was using his position to talk down to him, probably because he knows it's a criticism that's a little bit warranted.
PSU's QB Allar is averaging 6.9 yards per attempt against very weak competition. ISU's Becht is averaging 6.8 yards per attempt against good competition with a weaker supporting cast than PSU.

This is Franklin being an absolute arrogant ******* because the questioner is absolutely correct. Franklin plays Mt. Union style football, which will only win games where PSU has a clear talent advantage. IOW, he'll lose, like he does, against Michigan and OSU, because he won't take chances to win. He'll simply wait for the 1 in 10 day where the elite team does make more mistakes and PSU wins.

That's cowardly and should be unacceptable to PSU fans, knowing their resources, tradition, and recruiting footprint.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think this sportswriter is just a guy who's heard too many color commentators say "sometimes you just need to throw it up and let your receiver go make a play" and he wanted to use it himself.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Franklin's a doosh of the highest order, but he's right here, some dork sports writer who thinks he should be scheming the offense needs to be put in his place.
No ****, it's our job to scheme the offense, not some random caller on the radio.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
PSU's QB Allar is averaging 6.9 yards per attempt against very weak competition. ISU's Becht is averaging 6.8 yards per attempt against good competition with a weaker supporting cast than PSU.

This is Franklin being an absolute arrogant ******* because the questioner is absolutely correct. Franklin plays Mt. Union style football, which will only win games where PSU has a clear talent advantage. IOW, he'll lose, like he does, against Michigan and OSU, because he won't take chances to win. He'll simply wait for the 1 in 10 day where the elite team does make more mistakes and PSU wins.

That's cowardly and should be unacceptable to PSU fans, knowing their resources, tradition, and recruiting footprint.
He's winning.

• Winner

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This is true, but it doesn’t mean the caller was wrong. He was correct. You just can NEVER question a coach’s play calling…. they will never admit they were wrong. Their egos are too big.
There's more to it than just black and white. Injuries, game situation, practice history, match up. That's why no matter what is a pedestrian philosophy there. Yes Franklin was a douche about it.

• Winner

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
In my opinion he is wrong. High level coaches will take a shot even if it don’t work. It keeps the defense honest. Just like in MMA when you shoot for a double leg. Even if it don’t work it keeps the opponent knowing he has to respect that part of the game.

Lol, then I see who liked the post and I laughed even harder

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Lol, then I see who liked the post and I laughed even harder
IM confused. You don't think certain plays are ran to open up the field even if they don't work? That is strange when everyone knows that a ton of plays are not designed to gain yards but to set stuff up for later or open up the field. Have you coached before? I played college football at Iowa Central (I know not the NFL or major college) However, we ran plays we knew would not work to set up other things.

Reactions: joefrog

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
He's winning.
Is he?

He's 15th in winning percentage overall since taking the PSU job.

He's never made the BCS in 10 years, and probably never will in the future.

High floor, lower ceiling.

Great resources, recruiting, and visibility.

Ferentz like.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is true, but it doesn’t mean the caller was wrong. He was correct. You just can NEVER question a coach’s play calling…. they will never admit they were wrong. Their egos are too big.
This sportswriter literally suggested a specific play/route for PSU to run, and that Allar should just put it up there for the WR to make a play. That goes beyond simply questioning the coach's playcalling. I can't stand Franklin and agree that he's a doosh, but that's about as sophomoric as it gets for a beat writer, the guy deserved what he got.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This sportswriter literally suggested a specific play/route for PSU to run, and that Allar should just put it up there for the WR to make a play. That goes beyond simply questioning the coach's playcalling. I can't stand Franklin and agree that he's a doosh, but that's about as sophomoric as it gets for a beat writer, the guy deserved what he got.

Exactly, the guy even suggested to throw it up no matter how many defenders were around the WR. Just dumb.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron