JTS Improvements - Want More

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Will they upgrade communication coverage in the new areas and around and in the stadium? I didn't see the cell towers in the new RV lot.

You know? Actually it might be better if they ignore tech in 2022 and just make people talk to each other. Either way I'm fine.
That's not Iowa State's problem. That's on Verizon/etc. And I have my doubts they're in a hurry to fix it.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
With the capability of 5g MmWave, ISU needs to put up some antennas and let the carriers tap into that. Could easily support those in the stadium, but would need the backend too.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
With the capability of 5g MmWave, ISU needs to put up some antennas and let the carriers tap into that. Could easily support those in the stadium, but would need the backend too.
How hard would it be to throw something on top of the press box? Would that work? Could it be done and not make it look terrible?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How hard would it be to throw something on top of the press box? Would that work? Could it be done and not make it look terrible?

You would have more antennas than that. A lot more, spread out.

Some already exist on the posts inside the stadium, its why signal is often better inside the stadium than outside.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I was thinking putting something more like a 5g signal antenna pod or whatever the are called on each support tower of the press box.
1658256359968.png 1658256387580.jpeg

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Others in this field know more than me but I believe when talking wireless communications equipment, whether it be wifi or 5g, when dealing with large crowds you generally want smaller, lower power, more directional units to manage the sheer numbers. That's why they have the units on the flag poles right now.

• Informative
Reactions: beentherebefore

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Others in this field know more than me but I believe when talking wireless communications equipment, whether it be wifi or 5g, when dealing with large crowds you generally want smaller, lower power, more directional units to manage the sheer numbers. That's why they have the units on the flag poles right now.
Not exactly. The technical principles of all communication is higher bandwidth = higher power required and from another layer of the ISO model higher volume = higher collisions; both resulting in higher attenuation. Higher attenuation requires shorter distances per load. Having more smaller towers allows for 'alternative' paths to handle the load dynamically using bubble up technology. Older cell technology 'wired' (typically fiber) the cell towers to what were called MTSO's which then piped to another level of traffic management. Things have dramatically changed with 5G mainly because of the network technology once encroaching on their territory is now being used to tie all the minitowers together. Pure network technology is still faster and more expedient because there's a layer that's skipped. But 5G has the bucks and untethered freedom (greater reach than WIFI) to sway the people back to cellular. And, more important than any other reason is smaller 5G antennas have less 'property' liability. They can be used anywhere whereas entire real estate companies once existed for the sole purpose of buying or leasing land for cell towers and the heavy capital required for those towers. Not to mention maintenance, insurance. So, you can see why 5G is very popular.
All that aside, there have been NO government safety regulation updates since the mid 90's. There's increasing evidence these higher bandwidths can be dangerous. Also, there's a movement to 'reassess' the safety of 5G. Oh, it'll pass because of the trillions of dollars behind the cellular industry; not to mention the addiction to cell phones already. But, everyone should note the 'safety' warnings on the packages now. They weren't put there by accident. As you can see, I've been involved in this business since early on and am familiar with its growth. Follow the antenna in the design history of cellular phones. It's kind of like putting filters on cigarettes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not exactly. The technical principles of all communication is higher bandwidth = higher power required and from another layer of the ISO model higher volume = higher collisions; both resulting in higher attenuation. Higher attenuation requires shorter distances per load. Having more smaller towers allows for 'alternative' paths to handle the load dynamically using bubble up technology. Older cell technology 'wired' (typically fiber) the cell towers to what were called MTSO's which then piped to another level of traffic management. Things have dramatically changed with 5G mainly because of the network technology once encroaching on their territory is now being used to tie all the minitowers together. Pure network technology is still faster and more expedient because there's a layer that's skipped. But 5G has the bucks and untethered freedom (greater reach than WIFI) to sway the people back to cellular. And, more important than any other reason is smaller 5G antennas have less 'property' liability. They can be used anywhere whereas entire real estate companies once existed for the sole purpose of buying or leasing land for cell towers and the heavy capital required for those towers. Not to mention maintenance, insurance. So, you can see why 5G is very popular.
All that aside, there have been NO government safety regulation updates since the mid 90's. There's increasing evidence these higher bandwidths can be dangerous. Also, there's a movement to 'reassess' the safety of 5G. Oh, it'll pass because of the trillions of dollars behind the cellular industry; not to mention the addiction to cell phones already. But, everyone should note the 'safety' warnings on the packages now. They weren't put there by accident. As you can see, I've been involved in this business since early on and am familiar with its growth. Follow the antenna in the design history of cellular phones. It's kind of like putting filters on cigarettes.

Oh, so you're one of those batshit crazy types.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron