Jones Flagrant Foul

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I was pretty surprised to see a few ISU players lose their composure. Hogue had two pretty bad fouls at the end as well.

Yeah you can tell when he gets frustrated, there's a foul coming up, the hip check moving screen was really dumb, Kane was somewhat similar last year and it looks like BDJ is the same way.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I don't think it was that bad, but I do think it's indicative of how BDJ worries about himself more than the team. He's a bit of a rebel, much like Royce and Kane before him, but with less WOW to offset it. I've said it before; he will keep us in some games and he will likely lose us some games, we just have to hope Fred can tame him like he did the others.
Wow, just wow.

That stuff happens. Several players lost their cool tonight. Although young, Maryland had that Turgeon make contact or foul every move on the court down to perfection. It clearly got to almost every player on the court.

Last edited:

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The foul itself wasn't bad but the situation we were in was, he's just gotta be smarter than that in the future, even if he is frustrated at the time.

All in all we lost this game as a team, shot absolutely terrible, yet we still had a fighters chance in the last minute and it almost looked like we'd pull it out. Just hope everyone learns from it. Not always bad to have this adversity early in the season.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Big deal, he had a good night and the game was over by then, easy problem to correct going forward, kick your dog and go to bed.

Love it! Literally laughed too hard at this. Thanks you single handily made this loss easier to handle. And I think I'm going start using the phrase "kick your dog and go to bed" anytime someone is overreacting.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
17&7 and a "flagrant" shoulder to shoulder foul to prevent a runaway dunk. I understand the mentality to blame the new guy instead of "our guys" but BDJ was NOT the problem tonight, not by a long shot.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
you're welcome and nah, I'll stick around. I think it was classless and his demeanor during a lot of the game was crappy imo. He may be a great player...I just think we're better than that kind of stuff. It wasn't the worst foul but it could have been done better. At least make a play on the ball.

What game where you watching? BDJ was the best ISU player most the game. Edozie gave some spot effort but overall BDJ was the best Cyclone on the floor tonight. All he did was run under the guy without making a play for the ball.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
BDJ can't let his emotions get the best of him, but if you're Fred Hoiberg you would much rather have an emotional player who wants to score and win no matter what compared to an emotionless player. Those who have been watching ISU football all season realize how difficult it is to get players who aren't fired up to be out there excited about competing. It's a lot easier to teach a kid who gets fired up to tone it back a notch.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
What game where you watching? BDJ was the best ISU player most the game. Edozie gave some spot effort but overall BDJ was the best Cyclone on the floor tonight. All he did was run under the guy without making a play for the ball.

i was watching the game where we got beat...it just ended about 1/2 hour ago...was there another one on?

Hey, you can read into my initial post all you want. I didn't like the foul...and I didn't like his attitude. Others picked up on it as well...so maybe the question should be to you...what game were you watching?

I never indicated he wasn't a great player so let's not turn this into something it's not. It was an observation and an opinion...you don't have to share either.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Actually it was a terrible foul. Not because it cost us two points but rather because it cost us 30 seconds and killed the momentum we had going.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Screen-Shot-2013-11-21-at-4.40.24-PM.png

In case you can't tell, that's Kane gouging the eyes out of a BYU player. Sure glad he isn't on the team anymore, he was a bad man. I don't care how good he was, we don't need that ****.

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
What I don't understand with the play, is why not just let Layman go up with it, and then make an attempt for the block? He has already shown he can jump through the roof at times, and it seemed to me he would have been in decent position to go up for it. If he then drew the foul, no big deal.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I was at the game behind ISUs bench. It didn't look bad at all at the game. I'm interested to see it on TV.
I was actually ****** they called it intentional but then saw on Twitter that everyone said that was the right call.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
His body language on TV looked like "crap, I need to do something" and he bumped him (on purpose with hands down). Maybe a brain fart? Obviously he could have tried to pop the ball out or tried to block from behind for a normal foul.

For me, it seemed like the punctuation on an overall "blah" night.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I was pretty surprised to see a few ISU players lose their composure. Hogue had two pretty bad fouls at the end as well.
They played us like Iowa did last year make their size an advantage by fouling hard and being physical. The difference was the refs weren't calling anything, our only recourse was the Edozer. Teams will try and rattle us again and we need to be ready for it. Glad this happened early.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
i was watching the game where we got beat...it just ended about 1/2 hour ago...was there another one on?

Hey, you can read into my initial post all you want. I didn't like the foul...and I didn't like his attitude. Others picked up on it as well...so maybe the question should be to you...what game were you watching?

I never indicated he wasn't a great player so let's not turn this into something it's not. It was an observation and an opinion...you don't have to share either.
Honest question, and I ask this because I was feeling the same way you were, if we had no knowledge of BDJ backstory would you have felt the same way or judge each action or his body language so critically? I came to the conclusion that when you're looking for a certain behavior you're going to find it. Is it there? Sure but it is for everyone to varying degrees. I feel like we should give him the benefit of the doubt and try to view him with a clean slate to avoid our own confirmation bias. His language was no different than others, we just have a negative predisposition towards him.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron