Johnson-Lynch Named Big 12 Coach of the Year

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
For comparison, ISU WBB conference records since WBB became a Big 8 sport through BF's first 6 years:

83 3-9
84 0-14
85 3-11
86 8-6
87 2-12
88 5-9
89 6-8
90 3-11
91 6-7
92 2-12
93 1-13
94 3-11
95 1-13

96 5-9
97 9-7 (first year of Big 12)
98 12-4
99 12-4
00 13-3
01 12-4

Not trying to derail this thread. CJL greatly deserves this accolade, and I really hope she's still here 15 years down the road.

Thanks for taking the time to look it up.

WBB record in the 180 conference games prior to Bill 43-137. 31% winning pct
VB record in the 180 conference games prior to Christy 13 -167 7% winning pct

Both have done tremendous work and I am proud both of them coach at ISU, but there should be nothing to distract or diminish the accomplishment that Coach Johnson-Lynch has achieved, and dare I even say trying to compare it to what the WBB program has accomplished. Her record stands on it's own.

Great work both! Here is to many more successfully seasons!

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Ha!

400 for volleyball when I was in school would've been a season high - if not outright total. :wink:

i remember going to volleyball games.. they were not even in hilton i cant remember where they were.. but they had bleachers set out like u would see at parks and rec basketball games for k-6 grade

would get around oh 20 people at the games.. i loved going because i was about guaranteed a mini volleyball

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Both have done tremendous work and I am proud both of them coach at ISU, but there should be nothing to distract or diminish the accomplishment that Coach Johnson-Lynch has achieved, and dare I even say trying to compare it to what the WBB program has accomplished. Her record stands on it's own.

Great work both! Here is to many more successfully seasons!

It really is apples and oranges. ISU VB was actually pretty successful in the latter years of the Big 8, but they were absolutely awful for several seasons pre-CJL. ISU WBB was only completely awful for a few years pre-Fennelly, but was never successful to any extent (only two winning seasons between 77-78 and 94-95).

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
i remember going to volleyball games.. they were not even in hilton i cant remember where they were.. but they had bleachers set out like u would see at parks and rec basketball games for k-6 grade

would get around oh 20 people at the games.. i loved going because i was about guaranteed a mini volleyball

Forker (PEB). That's where they were when I was at ISU as well.

No mini volleyballs back then... :sad:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It really is apples and oranges. ISU VB was actually pretty successful in the latter years of the Big 8, but they were absolutely awful for several seasons pre-CJL. ISU WBB was only completely awful for a few years pre-Fennelly, but was never successful to any extent (only two winning seasons between 77-78 and 94-95).

I think what is evident in both coaches is their mind-set: that Iowa State is second to no one, that there is no "lid" on success here, and that the intensity and expectations of the program should be no different here than at any of the "powers." Then we become one of the "powers."
They both have also said they have to put out a winning, entertaining product to draw fans...

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
My wife and I are now V-ball fans, mainly because of this coach and her team. Before this year we knew zilch about V-ball, and I thought a libero was probably part of an opera.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
My wife and I are now V-ball fans, mainly because of this coach and her team. Before this year we knew zilch about V-ball, and I thought a libero was probably part of an opera.

I'm really grateful for the man that sat next to me for the Nebraska match. He taught me a ton, like what the libero was.

Long way to go here, but I don't mind some learning.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Congrats to Coach.

The last year that the regional Cyclone clubs were around and had the golf outings before the dinner and speeches, she was the coach assigned to our group. She still recognizes me, although we do not bump into each other too often (I duck out to drive home after matches - some time maybe I'll stay and duck behind the curtain).

The thing that I am really starting to appreciate is the extra things she is doing to generate enthusiasm among the fans. I think there needs to be a Cyd-Out crew for older people, not just students. :wink:

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The thing that I am really starting to appreciate is the extra things she is doing to generate enthusiasm among the fans. I think there needs to be a Cyd-Out crew for older people, not just students.
You know... that is a really interesting idea. During football and basketball seasons, there are perennial discussions between adult fans who want to stand and be rowdy just like the students, and those behind and around them who can't see or don't want all the noise and fuss. Why not have sections (or even an organized group, like CYd-Out Crew, for example) specifically for those fans?

The more I think about this, the more I like it. I'll pass it on to the people I know in Athletic Marketing. I bet they'll give it honest consideration, especially for volleyball and men's basketball.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Here are the conference results of ISU's VB team since the founding of the BigXII.

96 3-17
97 1-19
98 1-19
99 1-19
00 0-20
01 1-19
02 1-19
03 4-16
04 1-19

05 9-11
06 12-8
07 11-9
08 11-9
09 17-3

Holy crap. That is crazy to think about the fact that over the 5 year stretch that was I at school at ISU 98-02 the VB program only won 4 conference matches. That is freaking insane. I had no idea the program was that bad (though I never heard about it while I was at school, with good reason apparently).

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Holy crap. That is crazy to think about the fact that over the 5 year stretch that was I at school at ISU 98-02 the VB program only won 4 conference matches. That is freaking insane. I had no idea the program was that bad (though I never heard about it while I was at school, with good reason apparently).

I graduated in 01. I saw somewhere between 8 and 12 matches my last two years at ISU, and I never witnessed ISU win a single set, let alone match.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Here are the conference results of ISU's VB team since the founding of the BigXII.

96 3-17
97 1-19
98 1-19
99 1-19
00 0-20
01 1-19
02 1-19
03 4-16
04 1-19

05 9-11
06 12-8
07 11-9
08 11-9
09 17-3

This actually doesn't do the improvement justice. It actually started to improve fairly dramatically IMO from 1999 - 2004. The problem was that you actually had to understand volleyball to recognize it, and they were measuring improvement in things like points scored. 1998 was the season coached by Kerry Miller who turned out to have falsified her resume to get the job. She was never all PAC 10 and never recieved a degree from Arizona. She was also the focus of at least one law suit against the university for abuse towards the athletes. They figured it out during the season and ended up letting her run the season out before firing her at the end. That was just 3 or 4 seasons removed from an NCAA tourney appearance. I would guess that in 1999 there wasn't more than 1 or 2 (if that) D1 vb players on the roster. To really see the improvement you have to actually look at things like hitting percentages and points scored. In 1999 for instance against Nebraska (a very pedestrian NU team only rated #10) they scored 2 points in a 3 game loss (under the old side out scoring method) (Insert audible moan of pleasure from DaddyMac as remembers fondly the old scoring system). They lost 15-0, 15-2 and 15-0. They only scored 11 points total in the second match that year when NU played the second team significant minutes, another three game lose. In 2000 they scored a whopping 26 points in two 3 game loses, and even got NU to take a time out (a stated goal of the team that year I believe). This was a #1 ranked national championship NU team. Then they switch to rally scoring the comparisons get a little more difficult. Don't get me wrong. They were not good when CLJ got here but 5 years before that they couldn't have beaten the vb team from the DMACC school of trucking.

As for the WBB comparison it's really apples and oranges, but the big thing that keeps a program like ISU from breaking through to the top 10 is Title IX itself. Title IX doesn't reward quality just quantity. As such in WBB you have 15 scholarships, where as in WVB you have 12. Especially in NCAA qualifying field those extra 3 scholarships allow the top teams to horde talent. That single rule makes it a lot more difficult to break in to the top ten consistently in WBB, than in WVB. It also makes it that much more difficult to see the rise of the mid majors in WBB that you've seen in MBB.

For me I just enjoy the fact that both programs are so enjoyable to watch.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
This actually doesn't do the improvement justice. It actually started to improve fairly dramatically IMO from 1999 - 2004. The problem was that you actually had to understand volleyball to recognize it, and they were measuring improvement in things like points scored. 1998 was the season coached by Kerry Miller who turned out to have falsified her resume to get the job. She was never all PAC 10 and never recieved a degree from Arizona. She was also the focus of at least one law suit against the university for abuse towards the athletes. They figured it out during the season and ended up letting her run the season out before firing her at the end. That was just 3 or 4 seasons removed from an NCAA tourney appearance. I would guess that in 1999 there wasn't more than 1 or 2 (if that) D1 vb players on the roster. To really see the improvement you have to actually look at things like hitting percentages and points scored. In 1999 for instance against Nebraska (a very pedestrian NU team only rated #10) they scored 2 points in a 3 game loss (under the old side out scoring method) (Insert audible moan of pleasure from DaddyMac as remembers fondly the old scoring system). They lost 15-0, 15-2 and 15-0. They only scored 11 points total in the second match that year when NU played the second team significant minutes, another three game lose. In 2000 they scored a whopping 26 points in two 3 game loses, and even got NU to take a time out (a stated goal of the team that year I believe). This was a #1 ranked national championship NU team. Then they switch to rally scoring the comparisons get a little more difficult. Don't get me wrong. They were not good when CLJ got here but 5 years before that they couldn't have beaten the vb team from the DMACC school of trucking.

As for the WBB comparison it's really apples and oranges, but the big thing that keeps a program like ISU from breaking through to the top 10 is Title IX itself. Title IX doesn't reward quality just quantity. As such in WBB you have 15 scholarships, where as in WVB you have 12. Especially in NCAA qualifying field those extra 3 scholarships allow the top teams to horde talent. That single rule makes it a lot more difficult to break in to the top ten consistently in WBB, than in WVB. It also makes it that much more difficult to see the rise of the mid majors in WBB that you've seen in MBB.

For me I just enjoy the fact that both programs are so enjoyable to watch.

:eek:

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Forker (PEB). That's where they were when I was at ISU as well.

No mini volleyballs back then... :sad:

Although I once saw Martin Jischke dive over two rows of kids in the Forker bleachers to get a free 'ACE' t-shirt!!

Help Support Us

Become a patron