John Deere strike imminent?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Based on what I have read in the DBQ paper and online.

JD's spokesperson backed off her original Last & Best Offer statement to That is the Best Deal Economically JD will offer. IMO that means JD is still willing to revise the recently rejected offer, but the money won't get better. Workers are going to have to make decisions on what's more important- e.g. bigger pay bumps, but less rich benefits. Or more of this benefit, but less of another benefit.

It was also interesting in the paper that while the local union steward was still talking a lengthy strike. The 3 employees on the picket line interviewed were more pragmatic about the loss of their paycheck. And DBQ workers rejected the proposal 63-37%.

My prediction is the strike will be over in 10 days. And both sides will say they got what they wanted.

I tend to agree talking to people I know. There will be some that want to hold out and shoot for the moon, but they aren't the majority. The JD statement would indicate that anything more would take a lengthy holdout to get anything more. I don't think there's over 50% that will vote for a strike through the new year.

It just comes down to how eager the UAW will be to put this to another vote. They're already not popular with the local members, so forcing vote after vote won't help that.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Sounds like Deere is not going to budge anytime soon.

"Reach out"
mqdefault.jpg

2783_500.jpg

giphy.gif

MarvelousWhiteCoypu-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mramseyISU and Gorm

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I tend to agree talking to people I know. There will be some that want to hold out and shoot for the moon, but they aren't the majority. The JD statement would indicate that anything more would take a lengthy holdout to get anything more. I don't think there's over 50% that will vote for a strike through the new year.

It just comes down to how eager the UAW will be to put this to another vote. They're already not popular with the local members, so forcing vote after vote won't help that.

Less than 500 need to flip. The majority of no voters I know or saw on social media said something along the lines of “this is a really good deal but also we got this increase after only a couple weeks, let’s give it a little more and see what happens.” Those people aren’t going a lot longer. Plus cold weather and the holidays are coming. I doubt this goes a lot longer

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Less than 500 need to flip. The majority of no voters I know or saw on social media said something along the lines of “this is a really good deal but also we got this increase after only a couple weeks, let’s give it a little more and see what happens.” Those people aren’t going a lot longer. Plus cold weather and the holidays are coming. I doubt this goes a lot longer

Ironically enough my Facebook Deere's friends are the exact opposite

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Ironically enough my Facebook Deere's friends are the exact opposite

I didn’t mean to imply there’s not a lot on the other extreme out there. I’ve seen them too. My point is only like 485 need to flip

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
My gut feeling is they will vote again on the same deal shortly after Thanksgiving. Unless the stock price starts to drastically slip I can’t see the terms improving any between now and then.

Reactions: GrindingAway

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I have wondered if you were a big company if you could pay some young hungry up and comer WAY less, even like $500k. I bet there might be some great people on the way up willing to work their ass off for that money and . Having some of these guys that are already rich and on the back side of their career (and life) doesn’t seem conducive to having the most motivated person in the role. Seems like there are lots of stories of complete failures at CEO making stupid money.

The problem with a hungry up and comer is that they could still run the company into the ground. And if they start having success, someone is going to instantly pluck them and pay a lot more and then you have to start over.

Yes, there are plenty of examples of high price failures, but that's more indicative of just how challenging the job is. The dollars at stake are just too high to go cheap on a CEO.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Market Rate says Labor should be paid more. And CEO’s can be paid much less. Excessive CEO pay while depressing employee labor wages creates poor employee morale. Employees have little company loyalty. The Company has little loyalty to labor.

If the market rate said labor should be paid more, workers could simply leave for better opportunities and CEOs would not be making what they make. There would never be a reason to strike over compensation.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Ben and Jerry's is an interesting case study in a company 'trying' to limit CEO salary. The CEO salary was ratio'd to the lowest paid employee. It started at 5:1, then went to 7:1 and then to 17:1 (not counting stock options!) before being sold. They simply had a hard time finding qualified candidates at the lower ratios.

It would have been interesting to see where they ended up.

The problem with compensation ratios are that they are arbitrary. If you're a company with 50,000 employees and 25 factories, are you going to be able to attract a qualified candidate when any of them could go to a company with 5000 employees, 2 or 3 factories, and 10% of the headaches for the same money?

Of course not.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I texted one of my high school friends this weekend to see how everything was going and if there was anything I could do. He has about 20 years with Deere:

"Going good. Next time we vote it will end. im enjoying the time off hopefully it goes another couple of weeks. how about you?"

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The problem with compensation ratios are that they are arbitrary. If you're a company with 50,000 employees and 25 factories, are you going to be able to attract a qualified candidate when any of them could go to a company with 5000 employees, 2 or 3 factories, and 10% of the headaches for the same money?

Of course not.

Do you understand how ratios work? Are you claiming the lowest-paid employees at a smaller company generally earn more than those at larger companies?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Do you understand how ratios work? Are you claiming the lowest-paid employees at a smaller company generally earn more than those at larger companies?

He is talking numerator, not denominator.

If you could manage a single Dairy Queen with 15 employees, or John Deere Inc, but the pay was the same for both - which would you choose? Which would offer less headaches, less pressure, and more free time?

(not an accurate analogy but just wanted to show the concept)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
He is talking numerator, not denominator.

If you could manage a single Dairy Queen with 15 employees, or John Deere Inc, but the pay was the same for both - which would you choose? Which would offer less headaches, less pressure, and more free time?

(not an accurate analogy but just wanted to show the concept)

Just curious as to what multiplier the Dairy Queen Manager is offered as a wage versus what a general worker makes.

I would choose John Deere CEO position. Failing at that job will still yield a Golden Parachute of Compensation at termination beyond what any normal person could ever earn. Knowing your financial future is completely secured with fantastic compensation would be a relief from the general pressures of working extremely long hours of a restaurant. And probably not making much. Dairy Queen open 7 days a week.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Just curious as to what multiplier the Dairy Queen Manager is offered as a wage versus what a general worker makes.

I would choose John Deere CEO position. Failing at that job will still yield a Golden Parachute of Compensation at termination beyond what any normal person could ever earn. Knowing your financial future is completely secured with fantastic compensation would be a relief from the general pressures of working extremely long hours of a restaurant. And probably not making much. Dairy Queen open 7 days a week.

I don’t think you understood the question

Also if you think a Fortune 500 CEO takes weekends off you aren’t knowledgeable enough to answer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron