John Deere strike imminent?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Farmers cant repair their own tractors if its a Deere? That's wild

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The issue is nobody has direct access to the software embedded in the computers. It's no different than saying you want to "fix" your car by rewriting the fuel system controls. They are able to buy and replace as many parts as they want.

However getting to the diagnostics to know what parts to buy is another story. You can't just go down to Autozone in your combine and have them read the codes. It's not just Deere, but many large equipment manufacturers.

In the semi world, we will sell dealer service diagnostic tools to some big fleets that do their own service/repairs (e.g. UPS, FedEx, TransAm). But those customers are buying thousands of trucks a year and have the leverage to get that. The single truck owner/operator - like a farmer - doesn't do enough business to have that leverage.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

What they are actually asking for is rights to the code that drives the systems, which honestly is absurd. It's like if somebody found a bug in Windows 11 and the proposed solution is to give everybody that bought windows 11 all of the code driving the OS.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What they are actually asking for is rights to the code that drives the systems, which honestly is absurd. It's like if somebody found a bug in Windows 11 and the proposed solution is to give everybody that bought windows 11 all of the code driving the OS.
There’s a big chasm and both sides should probably give a little

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This is what was cited down by like 90%. Like a 5%raise, then 2% every other year for 6 year contract. Still no Healthcare premiums, no plant closures, bringing back cost of living adjustment. Among other things.

By health care premiums you must mean health care premiums fully paid by Deere, because Deere pays for most of their health insurance premiums today.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and aauummm

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

The Deere CTO touches on right to repair in this article towards the bottom. As mentioned above, the biggest issue is the software side of right to repair and some of the safety features allowing farmers to overwrite the software could cause.

As for the strike, reading that Des Moines Register article and it really feels like the Union employees want to strike to stick it to Deere and "the man". I think the deal would be fine for the current employees, but they are concerned about future employees and the benefits they would receive.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
There was a time several decades ago when a high school graduate could be a wage worker at Deere and adequately support their family on their one income. Over the years, those wages and benefits have declined so much that those days are long gone.

Deere just reported around $6 billion in profits, their CEO raked in millions, but they're having difficulties filling their wage positions. If there ever was a time for their union to strike, it's now.

The challenge is these wage workers can't afford to strike for very long, but management can't afford a long shutdown either, so the game of chicken begins.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder how that affects their outsource products and other shortlines, like Hagie? The other game of chicken will be supply chain. With companies being rationed for steel, last I knew, they may have some difficulty in getting ramped back up if a strike lasts more than a week.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There was a time several decades ago when a high school graduate could be a wage worker at Deere and adequately support their family on their one income. Over the years, those wages and benefits have declined so much that those days are long gone.

Deere just reported around $6 billion in profits, their CEO raked in millions, but they're having difficulties filling their wage positions. If there ever was a time for their union to strike, it's now.

The challenge is these wage workers can't afford to strike for very long, but management can't afford a long shutdown either, so the game of chicken begins.

yep. People my parents age could work on the line and retire comfortably early. It’s not that way now.

Reactions: CycloneVet

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Wonder how that affects their outsource products and other shortlines, like Hagie? The other game of chicken will be supply chain. With companies being rationed for steel, last I knew, they may have some difficulty in getting ramped back up if a strike lasts more than a week.
Honestly at this point it's a crap show anyways. Guys that ordered new planters back this spring are being told they will be lucky to get them by april of 2022. Same for tractors, combines, etc. Doesn't matter the supply chain is royally screwed and it's going to take YEARS to come back

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Actually what the majority of farmers are asking for is the diagnostics. That's it. We want to be able to pull up the codes see what is wrong in order to get he right part to fix it. It's ridiculous when we have some sensor that requires us to make a call to the local dealer to have them come out paying $250 service call plus time plus mileage plus use of equipment to tell us a simple sensor is the issue. I'm perfectly capable of hooking up a cable and reading.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Actually what the majority of farmers are asking for is the diagnostics. That's it. We want to be able to pull up the codes see what is wrong in order to get he right part to fix it. It's ridiculous when we have some sensor that requires us to make a call to the local dealer to have them come out paying $250 service call plus time plus mileage plus use of equipment to tell us a simple sensor is the issue. I'm perfectly capable of hooking up a cable and reading.

Capitalism. Love it or leave it!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Honestly at this point it's a crap show anyways. Guys that ordered new planters back this spring are being told they will be lucky to get them by april of 2022. Same for tractors, combines, etc. Doesn't matter the supply chain is royally screwed and it's going to take YEARS to come back
Probably good I sunk a good amount of money into repairs for mine and figured I’d run it this and next to pay for it. Yields were looking decent so far and was starting to let my eye wander to upgrade.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The strike is likely going to happen. The vote is tonight.
The workers were given their picket location earlier this week; the union is fully expecting to not reach a deal.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY