John Deere strike imminent?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We're talking about working while being laid off. So he was getting paid by the union while being laid off and also working another job on the side. Once he was brought back on at Deere, he stopped doing the other job. I assume he was also getting unemployment during this time but not sure on that one. The combination above, was paying more his job at Deere.
Wow, getting paid for 2 jobs ended up being more than 1 job?

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
That is not true.
We're talking about working while being laid off. So he was getting paid by the union while being laid off and also working another job on the side. Once he was brought back on at Deere, he stopped doing the other job. I assume he was also getting unemployment during this time but not sure on that one. The combination above, was paying more his job at Deere.

why didn’t you say this to begin with?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
There was a time several decades ago when a high school graduate could be a wage worker at Deere and adequately support their family on their one income. Over the years, those wages and benefits have declined so much that those days are long gone.

Deere just reported around $6 billion in profits, their CEO raked in millions, but they're having difficulties filling their wage positions. If there ever was a time for their union to strike, it's now.

The challenge is these wage workers can't afford to strike for very long, but management can't afford a long shutdown either, so the game of chicken begins.

UAW usually has a fund to cover wages during strikes.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Not really the point. Yes standards of living have increased, but by every measure, factory worker and so-called "unskilled" labor pay has gone down dramatically in the U.S. This is probably Cave-bound but unions being chipped away combined with sending factories to countries that accept far less pay basically eroded any shot at strong middle class livelihoods for American factory workers. You can see the aftermath in hundreds of small towns across the country.

Newton says hi.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They're going out and I think they're going to be out for a while. Two years ago that contract would have sailed through. It's kind of nice to see the union (rank and file, not leaders) stand up for once.

Out at midnight tonight and picketing starts at 7:00 tomorrow morning.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
UAW usually has a fund to cover wages during strikes.
Workers who show up and stand in the picket line all day get a very minimal amount, not nearly enough to live on.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Workers who show up and stand in the picket line all day get a very minimal amount, not nearly enough to live on.

They are assigned shifts to picket that are usually around 4-6 hours and there is more food and beer available than an ISU tailgate.

The union pays their full wage and also has support like a makeshift food pantry.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I found it very interesting to talk to those 4 Deere workers during my last class reunion. None are in supervisor roles, not sure what their wages compare to each other, etc. but their opinion of the unions varied greatly. Union jobs are all they've ever known besides farm work as kids and 2 of them are 2nd generation.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
EL OH EL

There's so many things that 20 somethings have skills in that didn't even exist just 20 years ago.
Are those skills useful for working an assembly line job?

A lament across some industries that use the apprentice system (like plumbing and HVAC) is that while kids coming out of high school now have computer/electronics skills, they lack mechanical skills (using wrenches, torches, saws, etc.), which was not the case 20-30 years ago.

Way back when I was in school, everybody took 1/2 year of Home Economics and a 1/2 year of Industrial Arts in grades 7-10. On the IA side, we learned basic wood working, metal working, how to use tools, some basic electricity (how to wire a plug), etc. Great practical life things. HE was great too...knowing how to cook food and sew things is really helpful...makes it easier to move out of mom's basement. I don't think this is a thing anymore in schools, which I think is unfortunate...

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What they are actually asking for is rights to the code that drives the systems, which honestly is absurd. It's like if somebody found a bug in Windows 11 and the proposed solution is to give everybody that bought windows 11 all of the code driving the OS.
That would've made Windows 11 (or any other version for that matter) free before it was even distributed. And, who in their right mind, would want that code anyway? :confused:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Most schools have closed their wood shops and anything to do with tools is basically out the window. Funding thing in most cases.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Are those skills useful for working an assembly line job?

A lament across some industries that use the apprentice system (like plumbing and HVAC) is that while kids coming out of high school now have computer/electronics skills, they lack mechanical skills (using wrenches, torches, saws, etc.), which was not the case 20-30 years ago.

Way back when I was in school, everybody took 1/2 year of Home Economics and a 1/2 year of Industrial Arts in grades 7-10. On the IA side, we learned basic wood working, metal working, how to use tools, some basic electricity (how to wire a plug), etc. Great practical life things. HE was great too...knowing how to cook food and sew things is really helpful...makes it easier to move out of mom's basement. I don't think this is a thing anymore in schools, which I think is unfortunate...
Truly sad that vocational studies are disappearing in our public educational system. I've maintained not all people or their learning abilities are the same. Forming an educational system biased towards a certain mind is dangerous to an overall economy.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They are assigned shifts to picket that are usually around 4-6 hours and there is more food and beer available than an ISU tailgate.

The union pays their full wage and also has support like a makeshift food pantry.

For how long? I remember the tire plant strike on 2nd avenue in DMS years ago, forget how long that lasted. The company started bringing in outside work, there was scrapping at the picket line between strikers and those who were hired. Eventually the company can wait out the unions and the workers. Push comes to shove......they will relocate. I remember knowing one of those who was on strike at the tire plant, and he had signs in his yard to support the union....don't buy tires from where he works. I thought........how is it possible someone is that stupid. Unless the union is in business making tires.....that is the dumbest sign I have ever seen. So this will be interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron