John Deere strike imminent?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That sounds made up on the welding part. Like, I'm a pretty good welder. I don't think I'm a professional welder. Maybe in a couple days or so I could be sufficient but I don't think I'd be churning out the quality needed.
You just need to be able to tack something together 95% of the important welds are done by a weld robot. You can train a chimp to tack weld in a couple hours.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You just need to be able to tack something together 95% of the important welds are done by a weld robot. You can train a chimp to tack weld in a couple hours.
I've worked out there a few times as a contractor. It seems like everything is automated. It would probably take a bit to learn how to run some of that stuff. They have these awesome machines that cut metal with water pressure. Looks like fun.

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS
What happens when either the factory worker or the office manager replacement takes a hole that's supposed to be .250 dia. and boogers it up crooked and elongated? Does engineering have to buy off on that and/or determine how to repair it? Does it get thrown away and you start over? Throw in the 1/4" bolts and drive on?

I'm that engineer in an aircraft plant and always wondered if my job existed in other industries, particularly Deere if we had an opportunity to come back to the DSM metro area.

Reactions: wxman1

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I've worked out there a few times as a contractor. It seems like everything is automated. It would probably take a bit to learn how to run some of that stuff. They have these awesome machines that cut metal with water pressure. Looks like fun.
I don’t think people realize how much automation and mistake proofing are on a modern assembly line. Companies spend millions on parts bins with light curtains in front of them counting how many times you reach for a part. Almost every fastener is installed with a power tool that knows how many times the trigger was pulled. Nobody is manually machining parts anymore it’s on a CNC. Any real skilled labor is happening at smaller subcontractors these days.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
What happens when either the factory worker or the office manager replacement takes a hole that's supposed to be .250 dia. and boogers it up crooked and elongated? Does engineering have to buy off on that and/or determine how to repair it? Does it get thrown away and you start over? Throw in the 1/4" bolts and drive on?

I'm that engineer in an aircraft plant and always wondered if my job existed in other industries, particularly Deere if we had an opportunity to come back to the DSM metro area.
I spent 3 years at Deere doing basically what you’ve describing. My job was to decide if parts that came in out of spec could be used, reworked or scrapped.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
shut-up-richard-chris-farley.gif
One of the most underrated lines in that movie:

550884f5-d604-41bd-a741-222f26e1ec4e_text.gif

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Is it a scab if you're told to do this or lose your job? Those office workers don't have the union protection to be able to walk off the job with no penalty. If they're told to go to the factory, they go to the factory.

You’re right and I shouldn’t have used that term. But still, they are being asked to work 72 hour weeks doing physical labor in order to hurt striking workers - that’s a big demand of them by Deere

• Dumb
Reactions: dosry5

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
My nephew is a member in afscme in Des Moines and has stated similar views. I told him to run for office and make the changes needed. The state of Iowa has to take some of the blame when they attempted to gut collective bargaining rights. Luckily, I belonged to a Federal Union.
And it’s republicans who gutted it, yet Iowa is a red state, why?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You're ignoring that the boxes are 80 pounds and is in a non hvac warehouse. Warehouse work is hard on your body and boring as ****.
What tf is your problem? Why do you assume everything is a horrible conspiracy to make employees live in some dystopian nightmare? What on earth has made you such a miserable human being that has to hate on everything?

Our warehouse IS climate controlled, we have TWO people in an 8000 sqft warehouse and we run the a/c all summer. And 90% of the boxes weigh <15 lbs. They shift about 10 boxes a day each. They do inspect paperwork, that takes most of the time. We have a woman with a bad leg in her 50s and she is MORE than physically capable.

PM me if you want and you can come on a tour. The whole world isnt some dickensian nightmare. Get some help.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
Not totally true. There IS lots of robotic welding going on, but there are whole weld departments that are 100% manual welding.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
As the math above showed, the person receiving a 6% return (which is below the long-term average return of the S&P 500) over the course of a lifetime would have around twice their working income when they retire in perpetuity. The SS recipient would have only a fraction of working income. The second scenario you described could not happen; they would not be able to outlive that long-term income.

Trying to use the disability insurance program to cover for the flaws in the old age program in SS goes to show the weaknesses in the structure of the latter. They're not really a package deal. There's no reason you could not leave the disability insurance unchanged while allowing the old age program to generate market-average returns instead of no returns at all. As I said, it's a much better deal to American workers.

You seem to think my aim is just to blow everything up. Nah, not really. The goals the SS program was created to address -- old age income security and disability insurance -- are worthy ones. I'm just not convinced it is done in the most efficient way right now. "If you are going to do it, then do it right," and there is really no case what we're doing now is the best way. It's almost comical how conservative you want to be.

Crashing a market that bad would require something like a nuclear war. One of those classic "you've got bigger things to worry about" scenarios than your retirement accounts' savings at that point.

I still don't get you.

You do realize that nearly 60% of your IPERS is in the market, right?

Some subset of that is in private equity, too, which is even riskier than the S&P 500?

Why aren't you panicking? You keep ignoring this point.
I guess I haven't seen your math just differnent percentages representing different costs and RIO'S. It sure appears to me through your comparing apples and oranges. SS RIO's that include liabilities vs. stock market returns without liabilities.