Jerome Tiller

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well you did pretty much say it was Tillers to lose since he has been in this system for awhile.

Other than that I sure hope we are not still looking for our starter come week 3.

My point was that since he has been here, he should be able to beat the others out. It wasn't that he should be because he has been here, it was the fact that since he has been here, he should be more productive.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The QB wasn't the problem with our pass game.

AA himself said he was not totally comfortable with the spread offense. He was a classic drop back quarterback, and never really converted to the spread. He was not the only problem, but there is certainly room for improvement if we play a true spread quarterback. The quick slants were a problem last season as were the quick outs. Hopefully, that can improve whoever wins the job.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My point was that since he has been here, he should be able to beat the others out. It wasn't that he should be because he has been here, it was the fact that since he has been here, he should be more productive.

You would think he could from being around this offense for 2 years now, but I haven't seen it in the limited time he has gotten. But I also think he will get a fair shot to win in it, and if he does great. If not I still think we need him to be on the field in some capacity, he is an athlete.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I think one QB will emerge very quickly this Spring and lead the pack. But there will be strong competiton for number two.

cyworship

Jan 10, 2009
Omaha, NE
Starting QB at CCSF that Jantz was backup to
Player Bio: Darius Bell - UCLA Official Athletic Site

Stats this year at UCLA: he played in one game and threw 3 incomplete passes (the only pass he completed was an INT).

So sometimes the QB that comes in with big stats from CCSF doesn't end up the starter. But then there are the Senacas and Cams of the world that are games changers. Should be a good competition to see who starts next fall.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You would think he could from being around this offense for 2 years now, but I haven't seen it in the limited time he has gotten. But I also think he will get a fair shot to win in it, and if he does great. If not I still think we need him to be on the field in some capacity, he is an athlete.

I agree with everything there. I do think there is something different when you aren't going through every practice pretty much knowing that you are #2. That's what he's been doing the last two years. I'm not going to sit here and argue that he has proven himself because I don't think he has but I just think there is a different drive and mindset when the guy in front of you is now gone. Or at least I hope. I will say this-If Tiller is the starter next year, I think that's a very good sign because I think all of the others could be pretty darn good.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Tiller should definitely see the field SOMEWHERE next year. If Jantz is the guy...Tiller please learn WR because you are too good of an athlete not to be out there. May want to talk with a former Cyclone named Austin Flynn. He may have some good advice for a fellow Clone.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Starting QB at CCSF that Jantz was backup to
Player Bio: Darius Bell - UCLA Official Athletic Site

Stats this year at UCLA: he played in one game and threw 3 incomplete passes (the only pass he completed was an INT).

So sometimes the QB that comes in with big stats from CCSF doesn't end up the starter. But then there are the Senacas and Cams of the world that are games changers. Should be a good competition to see who starts next fall.

Good perspective...best man wins!

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
okay let's say for the sake of argument that it is Jantz that is the starter.. Tiller gets ****** off and doesn't want to play anything but QB. would tiller transfer? then if he does who has the 2nd string? Capello? Barnett? Richardson? who?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Starter: Jantz
Backup: Barnett
3rd guy: Capello
Redshirt: Richardson

Wide Receiver: Tiller

My guess is that this is a truly wide open competition. Nobody is the "default" starter and all 4 of those guys will be given a legitimate shot in the Spring to earn the job. I think Jantz pulls out the start, Barnett works behind him and perhaps gets a bit of real game time as well. Capello hangs around in case we have the injury plague, and Richardson gets a full year to learn the system. Then again, its an open competition, so anything could happen.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So... being in the program is > than talent at a position. Makes a ton of sense.

That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. If you want to win in the BCS, you don't pander to loyalty above talent. Thinking that that's the way it should be in the BCS is asinine.

Are you telling me that you know for a fact that we have a more talented QB on our roster right now than Jerome Tiller? Without even having one practice under the belt, you know for a fact that someone is better than Jermome Tiller?

Let me ask you this question... was Austen Arnaud the #1 QB going into last spring practice? Yes. Why? Because he was #1 at the end of the year before that, and nobody else had proven they were better yet.

Well... Jerome Tiller was our #1 QB when our season ended this year. AA was out and his career was over. Tiller was our #1 QB going into the Missouri game. So tell me what he's done exactly since then to lose that spot? Nothing.

So right now, he's #1.... period. But I never said anywhere that he's going to be #1 when the season starts. Obviously the coaching staff is not completely sold on Tiller being "the guy" because they went out and got a JUCO. But to say that this JUCO is already ahead of Tiller is beyond ridiculous. Tiller deserves some respect for everything he's put in up until this point. Now it's his job to prove he's the man for the job.

But I'm sure the coaching staff wants one of two things to happen based on what they've done this offseason.....

1. They would love it if Tiller improves dramatically this offseason to the point that he is #1 next year..... OR....

2. If he hasn't improved much, they are hopeful that there is enough competition on the roster that someone good enough to win games will take over the position from him.

But I don't think they are confident that they can win very many games with the same Jerome Tiller we saw this season... otherwise they would not have gone out and gotten a JUCO.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If it's Tiller or whoever, I just want an accurate QB who can make the easy throws almost all of the time, and the tough throws some of the time. If it is Tiller, that would be awesome because he is also such a good runner. If it isn't, I'm fine with that. Maybe Jantz makes Tiller realize he has to work harder and it makes him a better passer. Who knows.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I really think Tiller will be the starter.

Nobody makes plans for a bowl game then.

ISU is in trouble if Tiller starts. I know AA played with the guy so I assume he knows a TON more then all of us combined but I just do not see Tiller with the 'it' factor to be a starting QB at the division 1 level. If he could make the move to CB I really think he could play on Sundays. He is big athletic and fast, the NFL needs guys like that to try and stop the passing attacks in the NFL.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Stop hatin' on Tiller man, he played four ******* games as a REDSHIRT SOPHMORE.. SUPPORT OUR PLAYERS.. No body here knows if Tiller is going to have a break out season or what. Absolutely silly to be predicting the seasons outcome just cause Tiller is starting. I'll support Tiller and bet he has the best chance to win the competition out. not saying he will, but he probably has the best chance.

I didn't realize I missed the spring game already, seems kind of early in the year for it, how'd it turn out?

Reactions: wright4cy