Jantz to WR

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I wouldn't complain at all about Barnett though. The one edge he might have is he seems more accurate. He actually looked faster too, but the difference was he would just take off whereas Jantz typically didn't unless he was wide open for a nice run. Jantz has a far better pocket presence. Hes in a way like Brett Favre. Dude could straight up make plays, and was great. But many turnovers came with them. QB's like that need a better supporting cast, and WR's dropping a lot of those big plays makes it seem a lot worse.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
So what is your excuse for all of Jantz's bad passes before the injury?

Seriously people... you act like Jantz was Joe Montana for the first 2 1/2 games this year before he injured his ankle. He wasn't. He was not a good QB before he was injured either.

were you here when everyone made him sound like that? Seems like ages ago

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I wouldn't complain at all about Barnett though. The one edge he might have is he seems more accurate. He actually looked faster too, but the difference was he would just take off whereas Jantz typically didn't unless he was wide open for a nice run. Jantz has a far better pocket presence. Hes in a way like Brett Favre. Dude could straight up make plays, and was great. But many turnovers came with them. QB's like that need a better supporting cast, and WR's dropping a lot of those big plays makes it seem a lot worse.

no. Barnett has a way better pocket pressence...if Jantz had a guy 5 feet from him he'd give up on the passing play

Reactions: PabloDiablo

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Does it seem like to anyone else that the line gives Barnett more time in the pocket? Barnett hardly rushed out of the pocket yesterday.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
I don't think this is dumb idea. But it is premature. For this season he will heal ins backup role. Next season with more QBs in the mix the opportunity to move him to WR might present itself.
He would be wise to consider it.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
No. IMO, Jantz is injured and his confidence has eroded from his poor play lately because of that injury. Jared Barnett has rightfully earned the job of starting QB and now Jantz has the opportunity to heal himself and get better and try to win his job back. But if Barnett continues to improve then Jantz will have to accept the job of backup. Unless Barnett plays poorly and Jantz improves his play, I predict that Jared Barnett will be playing QB for a while.

That is until Barnett gets hurt.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
I really think Janz's issue is the injury. He can't plant on his bad foot and that causes bad passes. Once he heals, I think he will be the better option on QB. Barnett didn't exactly set the world on fire. He'll be fine but I still think Janz starts at QB next year.

The 3 picks in his first 4 attempts at UCONN were before the foot injury occurred. His mechanics needs to be addressed. His throwing motion is the problem. Look at where his elbow is in his throwing motion. The coaching staff needs to work on mechanics then see what happens.

Barnett seems to be poised, has sound mechanics, looks to pass first then use his mobility. I liked what Barnett showed yesterday. Especially since he was coming in after a poor start with momentum already handed over to the other team. The fact that Barnett is a RSF, he has way more upside than Steele. Barnett will now start gaining confidence...

Reactions: cyfanatic

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does it seem like to anyone else that the line gives Barnett more time in the pocket? Barnett hardly rushed out of the pocket yesterday.

Probably more to do with the fact that A&M ranks dead last in the conference in pass defense.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Dead last in pass defense is misleading. They are one of the best in the country against the run and in sacks.

Creed

Mar 14, 2011
Fort Dodge

No, just Barnett did a better job sliding around the pocket or "manipulating" it as they like to call it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Personally I don't think Barnett is heads and shoulders above Jantz at QB, I would guess they will have another competition prior to next season to see who will get the starting spot. Jantz looked promising there for a while, then just seemed to hit a rut. You have to remember he has played only 18 games at QB in his entire life. I think his athleticism and size still makes him very promising at qb.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Jantz has awful pocket presence. He has made our line look bad at times they really weren't. He refuses to step up in the pocket.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Jantz will be a starting QB next year, it just may not be as a Clone.
Time will tell.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
no. Barnett has a way better pocket pressence...if Jantz had a guy 5 feet from him he'd give up on the passing play

********. Jantz could move around in the pocket and make defenders miss like nothing. Roll out and complete a pass. In the same situation, Barnett just darts away gets just a few yards most of the time.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
If JB continues to play well rest of the year, does Jantz look pull an Austin Flynn and move to WR next year? Along with Tiller? or do we have too many WR waiting for playing time.

Could be a good safety, too. He played LB in HS. Anyway, still to early to predict. It just depends on how the rest of the season and spring ball plays out.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Continues to play well? When did he start playing well? With exception to one drive yesterday...he was inconsistent like Jantz. IMO, the difference between the two is Jantz can make the big play yet makes key mistake.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Continues to play well? When did he start playing well? With exception to one drive yesterday...he was inconsistent like Jantz. IMO, the difference between the two is Jantz can make the big play yet makes key mistake.

and Barnett got to play against the worst pass defense in college football... Not knocking him (was pretty impressed), however has long way to go and no judgment should be made on one game performance.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Jantz will be a starting QB next year, it just may not be as a Clone.<br>
Time will tell.
I don't think he can transfer anymore if that's what you're going for

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Jantz has awful pocket presence. He has made our line look bad at times they really weren't. He refuses to step up in the pocket.

Many times this season there was no stepping up. The games Jantz played well, pressure came from the inside and he rolled out to throw. Then with our tackles out or hurting, he couldn't get outside. Difference between him and Barnett is that he's trying to roll out while Barnett thus far has tucked it and ran. Can he run well on that sprained foot? Doubtful. We need the guy who's most mobile in there right now. Give Jantz another shot when he's healthy.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE

This. I think Barnett's ok, but 17 points still, just like Jantz. Ok for a first start against a top 25 team, and kept from turning it over. Not good at sustaining drives or scoring more points. Our offense needs to put up over 30 to win most Big XII games. Under 25 isn't going to cut it most weeks, regardless of starting QB.