Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
imo - need a spot in Cytown with a full kitchen. West O, to my knowledge, only does a pizza truck a few days a week at their Okoboji location
Actually they make the pizza in house. Not sure on the hours. I know it is not as long as the tap room.
But 9 months a yr Milford is not exactly bustling. I did not realize they also have a pizza truck.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I keep wondering if El Azteca will put another location in there. Would make sense but I don’t know if they can sustain 3 locations in town. I know they have considered it.

Would be nice to have both a tap room and an bar/grill

my dream would be a place like the Iowa Athletic Club in Coralville next to the Xtreme arena

• Agree
Reactions: isu81 and CyPunch

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He elaborated briefly about the seeding decision. Heavily paraphrasing/summarizing - When committee teams in that vicinity, wasn't a lot of separation across the resumes, but one outlier was ISU's non-con.

In a different season, a situation like that could be road wins, or some other profile factor - maybe for ISU or maybe it's some other team.

One still could argue NCSOS or road record shouldn't be "thing" or a categorical element, it should be built-in to metrics. And probably already is. If committee has to find a way to distinguish and all else is close, that was the only place.

He reiterated (in passing) that he wasn't in the room when the vote was taken (that's a given with selection rules).

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
All I know is they said #16 SOS (out of 362) wasn’t important because we had bad non conf. It was one of the most absurd things ever.
Jamie said that all else being equal they used non-con SOS as the ultimate decider, despite it already being incorporated in another metric. Then he said Cyclone fans were not being objective by pointing that out.

So we got dinged twice for a poor non-con SOS.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I just hope we have a more exciting non-con schedule this year. outside of the games we're locked into already. They can't use the "we thought we'd be bad" excuse when they schedule a sub 300 non-con SOS when we are potentially coming back with a top ten team. We'll have a lot of new players of course so I don't expect anything crazy but a game or two against a team with a pulse would be nice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I just hope we have a more exciting non-con schedule this year. outside of the games we're locked into already. They can't use the "we thought we'd be bad" excuse when they schedule a sub 300 non-con SOS when we are potentially coming back with a top ten team. We'll have a lot of new players of course so I don't expect anything crazy but a game or two against a team with a pulse would be nice.

I think this year's schedule was perfect. Yes, the non-con games sucked, but who cares? It was the right thing for the team's development.

Entertainment from basketball in March >>> November!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
we'll have Iowa, Big East (we can't help the selected DePaul last year and knowing we have a top 10 team this year, we should get a good matchup) Maui Invitational (UCONN, UNC, Mich St, Memphis, Dayton, Colorado, Auburn) 3 games right there.

that leaves 6 open non-conf games that will probably be home buy games.

I'm 100% fine with that schedule.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
we'll have Iowa, Big East (we can't help the selected DePaul last year and knowing we have a top 10 team this year, we should get a good matchup) Maui Invitational (UCONN, UNC, Mich St, Memphis, Dayton, Colorado, Auburn) 3 games right there.

that leaves 6 open non-conf games that will probably be home buy games.

I'm 100% fine with that schedule.
Yup.

Now that we have 20 conference games, we basically eat up that need for extra P5 non-cons.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Jamie said that all else being equal they used non-con SOS as the ultimate decider, despite it already being incorporated in another metric. Then he said Cyclone fans were not being objective by pointing that out.

Not surprised to hear JP double down. The huge hole in his argument (maybe they pointed this out to him yesterday) is that it was not just about Cyclone fans. Almost every talking head out there questioned ISU’s seeding.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Yup.

Now that we have 20 conference games, we basically eat up that need for extra P5 non-cons.
im curious how other big 12 powers will schedule OOC with the 20 game big 12 schedule

like KU plays 7 high major non con games every year. will they continue with that model?

'Zona plays 6 but will that change now having a much tougher conference slate?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I hope he had a real condescending tone. That's when he's at his best.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Imagine comparing two even teams in March and breaking the tie with how tough their opponents were in November rather than how they've been playing in January and February, including playing and beating top ranked teams in conference tournaments.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Not surprised to hear JP double down. The huge hole in his argument (maybe they pointed this out to him yesterday) is that it was not just about Cyclone fans. Almost every talking head out there questioned ISU’s seeding.
I'm still surprised everyone is going on about this so much. I know hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like the committee wasn't that wrong. If we really were the top 2 seed, then we had no business losing to Illinois. If we'd have made it to the elite 8, then lost a close one to UConn, I could see an argument. At this point though, we didn't make it to the elite 8 and it wasn't because we ran into a juggernaught team of destiny in the S16.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I think this year's schedule was perfect. Yes, the non-con games sucked, but who cares? It was the right thing for the team's development.

Entertainment from basketball in March >>> November!
100% agree. If this team had played a tougher non-con, their record would likely have been worse. And we would have received a worse seed and missed getting placed in Omaha.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It is quite strange that on the women's side, the selection process was far different.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
NCSOS matters for the health of the sport. The sport struggles with regular season relevance enough and if we reward teams for completely punting on the first two months that's going to get even worse.
How so?