Jamaal Tinsley paid $250,000 in fines for not showering after practices and games

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The other question I have is why is Reggie so against people not showering with him. That’s a strange hill to plant your flag. Hey let’s fine him because he won’t shower with us

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Many, many years ago I was surprised to learn that showering after practice or games at the high school level had stopped. I'll date myself but in junior high, in the 70s, showering after PE the first time was a right of passage so to speak. Let alone sports practice and games Everyone undress and get in there. Yep, everyone had a penis. After shower 1 it was like that's the norm. Move on. After football practice it was time to talk BS and laugh. Talk about what's going on in school. Girls. You know.
I don't know when or why that got washed down the drain in Iowa?

We all showered together too. Honestly the reason it sucked isn't because all the wieners, it was that the place got soaked. Everywhere. It was literally impossible to get your socks on and not have them get wet. So you had to spend the rest of your time with wet feet. Absolutely sucked.

This is also to say that there was an adjoining door to the girls shower area, and there was a big enough gap underneath some guys would splash water there and viola, it was a basically a mirror into the girls shower area. I didn't know about this at the time, this all came out regarding a different class. Regardless, I think reducing the amount of nudity to a minimum in schools is probably a good thing.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Many, many years ago I was surprised to learn that showering after practice or games at the high school level had stopped. I'll date myself but in junior high, in the 70s, showering after PE the first time was a right of passage so to speak. Let alone sports practice and games Everyone undress and get in there. Yep, everyone had a penis. After shower 1 it was like that's the norm. Move on. After football practice it was time to talk BS and laugh. Talk about what's going on in school. Girls. You know.

I don’t think this has stopped. I’m in my 20s and when I was in high school (not THAT long ago) we showered in a communal shower after practices and games.

A colleague’s spouse is a school administrator and coach and I learned that the brand new local high school in our area has individual private shower stalls in the locker rooms. Nothing fancy but it does provide some privacy for those who prefer it. Seems like a good thing.

Reactions: FallOf81

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Reggie when Tinsley wouldn't shower with him
shower-thoughts.jpg

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Times change. Boys used to have to swim naked (P.E. & swim team) like into the 50's and 60's, and maybe even later in some places.

My dad told me about having to do this and at first I thought he was full of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Bigman38

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Times change. Boys used to have to swim naked (P.E. & swim team) like into the 50's and 60's, and maybe even later in some places.

My dad told me about having to do this and at first I thought he was full of it.
In Illinois I think up until the 80s it was required that everyone in public school passed a swim test. My grandpa reported the same, uncles said by the 70s they got to wear trunks.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Loved watching Reggie play but he was the biggest **** talker in the game. I’m not surprised and listening to him during games now I feel like he’s the same old Reggie

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
You know how much it would suck to have to sit on a cross country flight next to a guy who didnt shower after sweating that much? Probably make several rows of seats smell. These guys play a game and hop on a plane to the next city.. I understand not wanting to shower with coworkers, but i also understand not wanting to sit next to stank ass on a 3 hour flight.

I think i could deal with a smelly coworker like that about once before going to my boss and requesting they do some presentations on cleanliness or addressing the issue.

NBA teams travel over 40,000 miles in a season. Jamal played 11 seasons. How many of those miles do you think he smelled like ass?

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I never showered after practice or games. I always went home and showered. It was way more comfortable. Better shower, had all my products. Way better. Not sure why he had to shower at the facility. I mean when you go to the gym, do you always shower after or do you go home and shower?
Great to have you on the message boards Jamaal.

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
You know how much it would suck to have to sit on a cross country flight next to a guy who didnt shower after sweating that much? Probably make several rows of seats smell. These guys play a game and hop on a plane to the next city.. I understand not wanting to shower with coworkers, but i also understand not wanting to sit next to stank ass on a 3 hour flight.

I think i could deal with a smelly coworker like that about once before going to my boss and requesting they do some presentations on cleanliness or addressing the issue.

NBA teams travel over 40,000 miles in a season. Jamal played 11 seasons. How many of those miles do you think he smelled like ass?
But how many flights do you take directly after practice??

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Growing up in a 1 bathroom home with 3 siblings, showering at school was the easiest option. Sleep until the last possible second, grab a poptart and Mt. Dew on way out the door, go to 1st period gym class, shower, slap on some Brut(or your dads Old Spice) and it was go time. In small town Iowa, you showered or swam naked at "the pit" with the same group of guys from Jr high on. Snapping each other with towels or making the underclassmen man the toilets(continously flushing keep the shower water warmish) were rights of passage, not peeping each others junk.

And apparently it came in a 1.5L version.

Attachments

• 20221103_113315.jpg
    20221103_113315.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Ha! I was just laughing about our HS coach this weekend with a buddy. He was also the PE teacher and had this crazy gruff/grainy/low pitched voice. "Come on guyz. Hit the showerz. It's not like I haven't seen a naked boy before." Ooof. Things you can't say today lol.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

We didn't swim naked but had to line up in the pool area naked to get our school supplied swim suit. Early 80s.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
But how many flights do you take directly after practice??
Sure, but do they go right home after practice, or do they do film study, visit the trainers, promotional stuff, etc...? Im not saying it should always be an issue, but i bet it has more to do with smells, and less to do with reggie miller wanting to see his ****.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Sure, but do they go right home after practice, or do they do film study, visit the trainers, promotional stuff, etc...? Im not saying it should always be an issue, but i bet it has more to do with smells, and less to do with reggie miller wanting to see his ****.
Every team I've been on from jr. High on had the kid who thought an axe bath sufficed for the 3 days between showering.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
We didn't swim naked but had to line up in the pool area naked to get our school supplied swim suit. Early 80s.
Can vouch for this as also from Marshalltown early 80s Anson JH and MHS.
In the 70s they had no suits so at least I had one.