Jamaal Tinsley paid $250,000 in fines for not showering after practices and games

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I also don't like public showers, but probably wouldn't pay $250,000 to avoid it.

It's weird that NBA and NFL franchises still make everyone shower together rather than have individual stalls that they could easily afford.
Anything built in the last ~10 years, all professional leagues, have individual stalls now including for the coaches.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
For the growers, not showers crowd, public showers are not a great place. I have size 15 feet, and have had no issue in this area. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
https://www.basketballnetwork.net/o...s-for-not-showering-after-practices-and-games

"Tinsley wouldn't shower after practices or games. We easily enter or exit the shower, and he would be dressed already exiting the locker room. Once, twice, three times... And Reggie Miller says to the team manager: 'Bring the team rule book, we have to add one change that every player must shower after every training session, especially after every game, otherwise he will be punished.' The first fine was $500, and it would be doubled every other time he didn't take a shower."

"Guess how much Jamal Tinsley paid in fines for not showering? He paid $250,000 in fines because he did not want to shower after practices. It's like he's taking a shower at home; he doesn't want to be naked among everyone... We counted at the end, and he paid $250,000 worth of fines for not showering; in the end, a scandal broke out, and he had to speak with his agent, and his girlfriend."
The dude made 56 million dollars during his nba career. If he doesn't like group showers that seems like a small price to pay.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
When I was in middle school, the gym locker room was this long, fairly narrow, room with the shower at one end, and the door at the other, with lockers lined up on the walls. There was a group of these 3 guys who would get into the shower, go to the far wall, start running, and then slide on their bare-ass, along the floor for the entire length of the locker room.

For 7th grade boys, this was clearly the funniest thing that had ever, and would ever occur. We'd stand on the benches in front of the lockers and cheer as these guys slid approximately 30 feet on the nasty, wet floor. It was the highlight of the day, and something that was looked forward to during dodgeball, pickleball, or whatever we were doing in PE.

The fun all came to an end, one fateful day, when one of the sliders, got a bad launch and racked himself on a bench, about 15 feet into his run. It caught him full on in the jimmies, and he immediately started screaming and crying. Someone called for the gym teacher, Miss Gabrielson (late twenties, good looking) and she came running to find this kid, sopping wet, naked and sobbing.

She didn't let any of us leave until she'd had a full explanation of what happened. She didn't see the humor, and we all got in trouble; the sliders for perpetrating the act, and the rest of us for egging it on. I remember having to take the incident report home to my parents. My mother was appalled. My Dad was most concerned that I hadn't been one of the ones sliding bare-assed on the floor. After I assured him that I wasn't, he took it pretty well.
Actually just laugh my ass off. Well told story.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
As a former life guard who had to disinfect the showers, I concur with JT. People for sure pee and sometimes defecate in the showers. Feminine hygiene issues in the women’s showers. Just gross. Always took a shower when I got home.

Reactions: aauummm

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I never had any issues public showering but in today's age I feel like everyone is currently filming a tik tok at any given time regardless of where they are and at the very least everyone has a camera to take a picture of everyone naked and forward to whoever. Not sure how communal showers are even possible at this point. Maybe less of an issue when jt played though but they all had phone cameras.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I mean, maybe he had a small penis.

As somebody who hit the bars in the Tinsley era...he did not struggle with the ladies.

One time we were at Kum & Go after the bars and the cashier wouldn't let us use the bathroom. Tinsley who did not know us happened to be there and immediately says "It's cool, they're with me" and the powers of celebrity influence worked to get us into the bathroom.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When I was in middle school, the gym locker room was this long, fairly narrow, room with the shower at one end, and the door at the other, with lockers lined up on the walls. There was a group of these 3 guys who would get into the shower, go to the far wall, start running, and then slide on their bare-ass, along the floor for the entire length of the locker room.

For 7th grade boys, this was clearly the funniest thing that had ever, and would ever occur. We'd stand on the benches in front of the lockers and cheer as these guys slid approximately 30 feet on the nasty, wet floor. It was the highlight of the day, and something that was looked forward to during dodgeball, pickleball, or whatever we were doing in PE.

The fun all came to an end, one fateful day, when one of the sliders, got a bad launch and racked himself on a bench, about 15 feet into his run. It caught him full on in the jimmies, and he immediately started screaming and crying. Someone called for the gym teacher, Miss Gabrielson (late twenties, good looking) and she came running to find this kid, sopping wet, naked and sobbing.

She didn't let any of us leave until she'd had a full explanation of what happened. She didn't see the humor, and we all got in trouble; the sliders for perpetrating the act, and the rest of us for egging it on. I remember having to take the incident report home to my parents. My mother was appalled. My Dad was most concerned that I hadn't been one of the ones sliding bare-assed on the floor. After I assured him that I wasn't, he took it pretty well.

As I read this I kept hoping "don't say bloody". Whew.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Seems like an odd rule to be fined for but if he was contractually obligated to follow it then its his own fault. Gross that he did not shower but hey some people have no sense of hygiene either.

My brother had a roommate in college that didn't like to shower often either and it would lead to his bed sheets just reeking so bad the whole room smelled. If he was out of laundry he would just go diving in the hamper and do the sniff test and find a pair of underwear that didn't smell bad. The worst story though was he was gone all spring break on some camping and hiking trip and did not shower at all. Came back and he could smell him as soon as he entered the room. He put his stuff down and said he was headed over to see his girlfriend. Brother asked him if he was going to shower first and he just said nope and took off.

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As a former life guard who had to disinfect the showers, I concur with JT. People for sure pee and sometimes defecate in the showers. Feminine hygiene issues in the women’s showers. Just gross. Always took a shower when I got home.
Used to stay a week at the Youth Inn at the Iowa State Fairgrounds so we didn't have to drive home an hour 1 way each day while we showed livestock at the fair. My brother went to use one of the showers and found someone had took a dump in it. On our way out that morning he let the person at the desk know and their answer was "you seem to think that's funny, you probably did it." We were like "if we took a dump in the shower why would we want to report it to you?"

Had a few weekends when I was an RA at ISU where people would trash the bathroom and the worse one was probably the morning I got a knock on the door from the janitorial staff to let me know they were closing down the bathroom for the day because someone had smeared fecal matter all over the place amongst other things of the mess they found. I don't care how drunk or stupid you are anyone that would take fecal matter and do that has a screw loose and other issues going on. Was such a mess it resulted in a visit from our hall director who had to have a floor meeting and lecture everyone about being a decent human being and having more respect for the place you live in and the others who have to share it with you.

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Used to stay a week at the Youth Inn at the Iowa State Fairgrounds so we didn't have to drive home an hour 1 way each day while we showed livestock at the fair. My brother went to use one of the showers and found someone had took a dump in it. On our way out that morning he let the person at the desk know and their answer was "you seem to think that's funny, you probably did it." We were like "if we took a dump in the shower why would we want to report it to you?"

Had a few weekends when I was an RA at ISU where people would trash the bathroom and the worse one was probably the morning I got a knock on the door from the janitorial staff to let me know they were closing down the bathroom for the day because someone had smeared fecal matter all over the place amongst other things of the mess they found. I don't care how drunk or stupid you are anyone that would take fecal matter and do that has a screw loose and other issues going on. Was such a mess it resulted in a visit from our hall director who had to have a floor meeting and lecture everyone about being a decent human being and having more respect for the place you live in and the others who have to share it with you.

Was on a project and the building manager threatened to kick out 5 floors of workers because someone was making the women's restrooms filthy. We got the talk from the building manager and project manager.

Never went in there, but was happy our group had a locked restroom. Sounded like an ongoing crime scene in the ladies area

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

In the past I've done a U-turn at the local city pool showers when I saw evidence of a recent waffle stomp. Degens.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Perhaps he had a tattoo he didn't want to display!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Poop everywhere also an issue places I was waitress cause some of those, cleaning bathrooms at closing part of the job. People are revolting, filthy animals.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Poop everywhere also an issue places I was waitress cause some of those, cleaning bathrooms at closing part of the job. People are revolting, filthy animals.
I was a janitor at a truck stop for a while when I was in high school. I saw some things you can't unsee. Maybe we should start a grossest jobs thread.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was a janitor at a truck stop for a while when I was in high school. I saw some things you can't unsee. Maybe we should start a grossest jobs thread.
At the pool, the women’s locker room was the worst because they always had the kids plus the whole feminine hygiene issue. At various restaurants, men’s restrooms were beyond hideous. There was blood all over everything in one and I went and got the manager and said I wasn’t sure if I should clean it cause it looked like a crime scene. He did call the cops.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron