Its all about the dollars and cents

H

HGPuck

The question of whether or not to keep Coach Mac is not entirely about wins and losses; it comes down to dollars and cents. The problems are not at the top of the program, I agree that they are in the coaching staff, but it is the quality of the staff top to bottom that is the problem. I am not and will not get on the case of any coach individually. We have the second lowest football budget right ahead of Baylor. This means that our coaches get paid less than their counterparts at other Big 12 institutions. When we get good coaches they get hired away to the schools that are willing to pay them more and when it comes down to a choice in where prospective coaches should go for their career it makes it harder to lure them to Ames. In terms of facilities and what they can do, we are behind some schools like Texas but we are on par with K State and many other Big 12 teams. I still think we need to continue with improvements, but we have done a lot in the last ten years. Think back to what we had in the ‘90s.

The argument about money that I think is the most foolish is to pick out a few games and say if we had more money or better facilities would it have won said games. There is a big difference between short run and long run economics. Money does not change the result of a game; it changes the state of the program. Schools like Texas with seemingly all the money in the world still loose games they shouldn’t.

As far as Coach Mac individually, I think he has done a commendable job of making something out of nothing. He has done as much given the circumstances as what many very good coaches in the country could do and better than most others. It is true that he is not a great in game sideline coach. But there are many great coaches that are poor game day coaches, I have read that Vince Lombardi was just about worthless once the game started, and Mack Brown is far from a good game day coach. Does Coach Mac have flaws, of course he does, but he would not have been able to do what he has done if he is as worthless as I have been reading lately.

What we need is not a new head coach, but continued growth in energy and excitement for the program. So how do we get this energy and excitement? Well, to be honest at this point it probably does involve a new head coach. For people to get excited about Mac we would need to win 7 to 8 games next year and 8 or more the following year. Is that going to happen, most fans think not and that is the hard question that Jamie needs to make a decision on. If we bring in a new coach we will have some excitement around the program even if we only win 4 to 6 games next year. This is a critical time for Pollard, he was able to increase fan support this year and he needs to continue the growth in order to reach his goals. So Coach Mac will not be fired because of the coach he is, but rather about the excitement he can generate or lack there of. It all comes down to how many butts are in the seats and how many checks are in the Jacobson building.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Well said. That's why JP is in such a pickle. But I believe that if enough high $ donors come forward in the coming weeks and offer to take care of Mac's buyout, JP will jump at the chance. He's starting a HUGE capital campaign and this season is an absolute nightmare in terms of fund raising. I won't be surprised if JP cuts his losses with the current staff and hires a coach with much promise (ala GMac) that will infuse a "new hope" in Cyclone Football for years to come...

rkheil

Jun 27, 2006
Johnston, IA
So Coach Mac will not be fired because of the coach he is, but rather about the excitement he can generate or lack there of. It all comes down to how many butts are in the seats and how many checks are in the Jacobson building.[/quote]

You are correct that it comes down to how many butts are in the seats, but not about Mac and the coach he is. Mac brought us a long way, but if he had been a better coach and executed the last two year..... we would not be having this conversation.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So Coach Mac will not be fired because of the coach he is, but rather about the excitement he can generate or lack there of. It all comes down to how many butts are in the seats and how many checks are in the Jacobson building.

You are correct that it comes down to how many butts are in the seats, but not about Mac and the coach he is. Mac brought us a long way, but if he had been a better coach and executed the last two year..... we would not be having this conversation.[/QUOTE]

being that they're both wisconsin guys and buddies i wonder if he can convince mac to resign his post (with the buyout to go along with it). it would save a lot of conflict and it would allow all of us to remember what mac did for the program.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
A lot of people make it out like no other coach has ever built/rebuilt a football program from nothing before. It's been done before in other places, and we need to recognize that.

McCarney has brought the team up from a terrible program to one that beats bad teams and tends to struggle against good teams. But he's been here for 12 years now, and a best-case-scenario would be to say that he has plateaued with this team. And it is valid to say that he has raised expectations to a level that we're considering changing coaches. But does any of that give him a free pass for how badly things are going? Mac may be a great guy, but honestly I don't really care. He's not a guy that I, or anyone I know, interacts with on a daily basis. He is merely there to generate results on the field. And if he's not doing that, does it really matter that he's a great, compassionate guy? Would a business man be allowed to keep his job even though he's underperforming, just because he's a nice guy? I don't think so.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So Coach Mac will not be fired because of the coach he is, but rather about the excitement he can generate or lack there of. It all comes down to how many butts are in the seats and how many checks are in the Jacobson building.

You are correct that it comes down to how many butts are in the seats, but not about Mac and the coach he is. Mac brought us a long way, but if he had been a better coach and executed the last two year..... we would not be having this conversation.[/quote]

Speaking of butts in seats, the pros have sold out every game so far this season. Even 49ers are sold out.

H

HGPuck

Another way to look at it is that some guys are better at growing a start up company and some are big time CEOs. Maybe it is time to bring in a big hitter, and my guess is that whoever that is, none of us are thinking of him right now. I am hoping if a change is made we get an coach from the offensive side of the ball from the NFL or a major program. Sometimes new blood is needed and it appears that is definitely the case here.

Help Support Us

Become a patron