***ISU vs OU***

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Didn't see any of the game, but I will guess that the offense was dribble for most of the shot clock and then force a pass or shot with 5 seconds on the clock

Reactions: ISU71

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Again, Bill first announces that "the team has to be coached better," then goes on about what they prepared for and what his players didn't follow through on...like OU "hit a 3 on an in-bounds play that they must have practiced 50 times."
The reporter followed up in that theme by asking "they (OU) mixed up their defenses quite a bit, playing some man, some 1/2 court trap, some press - is that something you prepared for?" An informative, insightful question that's not a softball; probably something that Fellingham or Parrott would not ask.
Other coaches might say, "yes, we did, but I guess not enough."
But of course Bill took it personally...

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
She definitely needs to eat a lot of cornbread and butter. Baylor looked at her but Bill Brock told me they just decided it was too risky of a project. She has had a few decent games this year though.

Frankly, I thought she was terrible (given she only played a few minutes). Not impressive at all !!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Frankly, I thought she was terrible (given she only played a few minutes). Not impressive at all !!

That was my impression and then saw, while browsing Big 12 WBB stats/news, that she was Nation Freshman of the Week last week. :eek: Granted she excelled in games against Kansas and TCU to get that. Lewis was a 100x better last night...she looked really good with some savvy moves around the basket. I was impressed.

The Mulkey article.
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArti...35&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211390422&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Didn't see any of the game, but I will guess that the offense was dribble for most of the shot clock and then force a pass or shot with 5 seconds on the clock

Bingo....Add to that, as great as Jadda is, she really can't create her own shot when she needs to like our PGs in the past have. Not so much of a fan of hers in the past, she has impressed me a lot this year, she just doesn't have the immediate explosiveness to do the penetrate hard/step back shot move needed.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Some observations, for whatever they're worth...

I believe Maddie Manning is a dirty player. She plays to see what she can get away with and Coale allows her to do it. I'll be glad to not see her again in Hilton (assuming she declines the 6th year of eligibility already granted by the NCAA). If she, as mentioned in the Birch Register article, ever became a part of the staff at Iowa State, I would not renew my season tickets.

Dee Kantner and Scott Yarbrough again prove to be completely inept at calling a game fairly and consistently. The blocking foul called on Jadda when Manning lowered her shoulder and knocked her to the ground was truly dumbfounding. I know some people like/respect Kantner, but I honestly don't see how she keeps her job. She sucks at it.

Those two points being said, we certainly didn't help ourselves at the end of the game, nor at the start of the second half with our play. Something is simply not "working" with this team. The talent is there to compete and win, but it isn't happening. Damned if I know what is actually wrong, aside from the obvious, which has been discussed before - a true center to score and guard under the hoop.

Bridget was really struggling to beat anyone with her first step to the basket last night. Jadda was off as well, but with getting knocked to the floor as much as she did, her second half didn't surprise me much - I'm sure she was seeing stars a couple of times.

The Mulkey girl seems too uncoordinated to really be "good" in Big 12 play. She might be useful to allow other posts to rest a minute, but her shot was poor and she struggled to get herself in position. At 6'9", she'll get in the way, but that's about it. Baylor was probably smart to pass on her.

Last edited:

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Bingo....Add to that, as great as Jadda is, she really can't create her own shot when she needs to like our PGs in the past have. Not so much of a fan of hers in the past, she has impressed me a lot this year, she just doesn't have the immediate explosiveness to do the penetrate hard/step back shot move needed.

Earlier in the year, other players would take their turn with the shot clock down, but now they hand it off to Jadda. When it comes down to it, when you miss 3s you normally make, and give up buckets of layups, chances are good you'll lose. Every team in the Big 12 seems to totally know what we will do before we do it now. Our D scares no one. We just have to get better and try to scratch our way into the postseason. We have the talent, if we can pull it together again. Seanna definitely looks different, more worn down. Mer is getting better, Bridget did some surprising athletic things. Bovre has to hit more 3s, everyone needs to work on extending their 3 point range a few more feet. Look at the tape and work on what can be improved. Anyone know why Nia was in street clothes? This would have been a good game for her.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Earlier in the year, other players would take their turn with the shot clock down, but now they hand it off to Jadda. When it comes down to it, when you miss 3s you normally make, and give up buckets of layups, chances are good you'll lose. Every team in the Big 12 seems to totally know what we will do before we do it now. Our D scares no one. We just have to get better and try to scratch our way into the postseason. We have the talent, if we can pull it together again. Seanna definitely looks different, more worn down. Mer is getting better, Bridget did some surprising athletic things. Bovre has to hit more 3s, everyone needs to work on extending their 3 point range a few more feet. Look at the tape and work on what can be improved. Anyone know why Nia was in street clothes? This would have been a good game for her.

I am pretty sure that she was dressed and in her usual spot on the bench. She has just not been playing well and is not getting minutes.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

I was at the game. 1st half, we were ok (not great) on offence but, your post above is exactly what we did in the 2nd half--and it was bad

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Bovre has to hit more 3s, everyone needs to work on extending their 3 point range a few more feet.
Just couldn't disagree more. We jack up - and settle for - way too many 3's as it is. Throwing up 27 3's last night is obscene. We only made 6. What happened to our strategy of making more FT's than the opponent attempts? That only comes from getting to the basket people. And well it worked out for OU last night: They made 14 and we only attempted 12.
Jadda is the country's best FT shooter and she attempts 2. That's pathetic, and comes from her stationed out by the 3 pt. line. We should be running her through screens, getting her to drive the ball, looking for back picks along the baseline; getting her the ball more inside to force a whistle.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Losing games that could /should have been won can have a profound detrimental effect on the psyche of a team, both players and coaches. It will take exceptional leadership and maturity to overcome this over the remainder of the season. JMO

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Just couldn't disagree more. We jack up - and settle for - way too many 3's as it is. Throwing up 27 3's last night is obscene. We only made 6. What happened to our strategy of making more FT's than the opponent attempts? That only comes from getting to the basket people. And well it worked out for OU last night: They made 14 and we only attempted 12.
Jadda is the country's best FT shooter and she attempts 2. That's pathetic, and comes from her stationed out by the 3 pt. line. We should be running her through screens, getting her to drive the ball, looking for back picks along the baseline; getting her the ball more inside to force a whistle.

Which is what an off guard does.... I miss motion offense. This "Hoiball" style of everyone taking a stab at penetrating only works if you have explosive players.

I would like to see Bowe take more threes ala the Niz days, one of my favorite underrated players, and TT needs to start shooting the ball. If everyone knows the J, B, and S are going to take 90% of the shots. When you have a team only guarding 4 players, there is no opportunity for penetration. I think we all have beat it like a dead horse that Em, Camber and Bowe need more playing time, but coach knows the game better that we do.

BF wanted to make this loss about defensive breakdowns, but we held OU 10 points under their average.

TMan - have you been at any practices? Just wondering what team chemistry is like.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Coach needs to trust his bench more. Bowe only played 9 minutes and Camber played 10 minutes, Nia didn't play at all. Durr took Starks minutes and I think both players have their advantages and need to be getting time. I think we should be going deeper into our bench and pressing some. Bench players never get confidence unless you play them. They need to have roles off the bench, a purpose for being on the team. Johnson needs more rest, and shouldn't feel like she is carrying the weight of the team on her shoulders. Same with Jadda and Bridget. This team needs more of a team feeling to it. Even Lexie should be coming in to hit an occasional three. She has been consistently doing that all her career for the minute number of minutes she gets. I have never seen anything to lead me to believe that Ricketts or Jensen couldn't contribute in a high pressure defense oriented game. I don't know as much as coach. :)

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Coach needs to trust his bench more. Bowe only played 9 minutes and Camber played 10 minutes, Nia didn't play at all. Durr took Starks minutes and I think both players have their advantages and need to be getting time. I think we should be going deeper into our bench and pressing some. Bench players never get confidence unless you play them. They need to have roles off the bench, a purpose for being on the team. Johnson needs more rest, and shouldn't feel like she is carrying the weight of the team on her shoulders. Same with Jadda and Bridget. This team needs more of a team feeling to it. Even Lexie should be coming in to hit an occasional three. She has been consistently doing that all her career for the minute number of minutes she gets. I have never seen anything to lead me to believe that Ricketts or Jensen couldn't contribute in a high pressure defense oriented game. I don't know as much as coach. :)

If you want to know why the down the bench players do not play more go back and watch the end of the Kansas game. The first 7 or 8 dominated KU and the bench players could not play with them. Bowe was in foul trouble the 1st half so limited her minutes.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
If you want to know why the down the bench players do not play more go back and watch the end of the Kansas game. The first 7 or 8 dominated KU and the bench players could not play with them. Bowe was in foul trouble the 1st half so limited her minutes.
I disagree with this. That is not a good reason to not play the bench. You put the whole bench on the floor and sure, they won't do as well as the starters, that is natural. However if they come in at specific points with roles to play, they can help, and give the other players a breather. Coach Fennelly, for as long as I have been watching him, has never had a bench that got consistent minutes. He usually has one or two players that get some minutes off the bench while his stars get all the playing time. He does not trust a bench, and I get the impression that you would be like him, assess the players as whether they will hurt you if you put them on the floor. I believe you should assess the players as how can they help me if I put them on the floor, what would their role be. Then you help them develop those skills so that they can really help you. Most players want to play, and if they don't you shouldn't want them on the team.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Classic Bill on the post-game presser - says "we have to coach better" and then proceeds to rip his players. Then he snarls at and stares down a reporter who dares to ask him if he had prepared for OU's changing defenses...
Definitely not one of Bill's finer moments. Referencing a negative e-mail from some knucklehead to somehow support his point was a thin-skinned bush league response on his part.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I disagree with this. That is not a good reason to not play the bench. You put the whole bench on the floor and sure, they won't do as well as the starters, that is natural. However if they come in at specific points with roles to play, they can help, and give the other players a breather. Coach Fennelly, for as long as I have been watching him, has never had a bench that got consistent minutes. He usually has one or two players that get some minutes off the bench while his stars get all the playing time. He does not trust a bench, and I get the impression that you would be like him, assess the players as whether they will hurt you if you put them on the floor. I believe you should assess the players as how can they help me if I put them on the floor, what would their role be. Then you help them develop those skills so that they can really help you. Most players want to play, and if they don't you shouldn't want them on the team.

I've never understood the his philosophy of a playing such a small rotation. Just look at OU yesterday. They played 10 players and I think that worked very well for them. With how the big 12 as evolved in the women's game IMO you need to be at least 8 deep and maybe even 9.

The other day they played an old ISU OU wbb game on CyTv. At that time our front line was Hallie, Pop, and Prins. I miss those days.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013

Our offense is built around the 3. We don't have the quickness to get by most teams in the Big 12. Bove, especially, she is a 6 foot post. I'm not sure what type of offensive innovation it would take to get more open looks, but they guard exactly what we want to do. We probably aren't going to grow taller, stronger or quicker during the season. We just have to be more locked in together.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Also, I was going to say, officials don't give us the calls consistently enough to be able to get to the line. They don't call the foul, the steal goes for 2 at the other end. BF totally builds his offense to avoid that. A game like Kansas where they kept calling the same grabs is very rare. I was shocked they kept giving us those calls in the first quarter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron