ISU vs. CU Game Thread

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
We were just spoiled by 3 good games to start Big 12 play. Expectations began to shoot through the roof. If we don't rock the house on Saturday against the Wildcats, I would be surprised to see us drop to 2-3 in the Big 12. Like many said a few weeks ago, we'll surprise some teams, and lay eggs against others (especially on the road) that we shouldn't.

In my opinion, we lost the game tonight because we didn't see enough of Cory Johnson in the 2nd half and Jiri forgot how to play the post in the 2nd half, started to revert to his old ways. Compound the fact that Mike Taylor was off tonight. Need to find other leaders to step it up besides Taylor and W. Johnson.

NittanyCy

Mar 19, 2006
We were just spoiled by 3 good games to start Big 12 play. Expectations began to shoot through the roof. If we don't rock the house on Saturday against the Wildcats, I would be surprised to see us drop to 2-3 in the Big 12. Like many said a few weeks ago, we'll surprise some teams, and lay eggs against others (especially on the road) that we shouldn't.

In my opinion, we lost the game tonight because we didn't see enough of Cory Johnson in the 2nd half and Jiri forgot how to play the post in the 2nd half, started to revert to his old ways. Compound the fact that Mike Taylor was off tonight. Need to find other leaders to step it up besides Taylor and W. Johnson.

Completely agree, post of the night.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
ISU just lost to a PATHETIC team that won't win another conference game this season. ISU has won more often in Lawrence than in Boulder over the last 11 years. Why? Can someone please explain how a team takes KU to OT on Saturday and then doesn't even show up tonight?

Somebody said the CUrse...it has to be something supernatural, because there is no way to explain it.

Buffs shoot 28% from behind the arc this year...until tonight (42%).

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Let me make this as easy as possible. I would not want a person "running" my team, at the most important position on the floor, reluctant to shoot in a close game. But, will shoot when there's nothing to lose. I really do not know what is going on with our starting PG. It's like he is scared to shoot or even be creative and get a good shot for someone else

Right, we lost tonight because your whipping boy failed to take enough shots.

It didn't have anything to do with our large number of fouls, turnovers, silly shots, poor defense, etc.

It's all on the whipping boy...

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
ISU just lost to a PATHETIC team that won't win another conference game this season. ISU has won more often in Lawrence than in Boulder over the last 11 years. Why? Can someone please explain how a team takes KU to OT on Saturday and then doesn't even show up tonight?

Thats the questions I keep asking myself. You can try to blame it on youth and inexperience, but then I saw this same team go toe to toe with a top 5 team in the country and I really have no explanation for why we couldn't show up for a game against the like of 4 win Colorado.

It just makes me sick. I want to be excited for bball, but when stuff like this happens, I want to puke

RICHMOLO

Mar 20, 2006
almost what i thought would happen.How many wins does ISU have out there?the teams just play bad out there.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Worst loss of the season. Absolutely pathetic. There aren't enough words for how bad this loss is. CU had won 4 games before tonight. Now I remember why I should never ever get my hopes up. FU Colorado.

Totally agree. I just love listening to 25 fans screaming their heads off as CU wins its first and last game in conference this year.

Absolutely awful effort tonight.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
this game has been pathetic, mostly in the second half. losing to 4-9 colorado in front of 5,000 or so indifferent fans. we tore them up inside in the first half, what happened to going down low in the second half?

I think one of the problems is that this team still hasn't fully bought into the idea that they need to establish a post game and that they need to score from the paint. Even in the past 3 conference games that ISU played well in, IMO ISU was taking too many 3-pt shots...a few more of them just happened to go in during those games.

The MBB team is somewhat similar to the WBB team in this respect...if the outside shooting is on, the team does well. Otherwise, they struggle because there is really no post game. This can make for a very frustrating conference season...

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

I completely agree with the first paragraph yet don't agree with the 2nd. Jiri played a solid game, we just didn't get him the ball enough in the 2nd half. Plus, CU made adjustments by doubling down on him.

I think we're seeing Jiri make that 3 and suddenly think he reverted. He had an open shot, take it. To me, he was one of the few that showed up to play...on offense and defense. How many blocks did he have?

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
Right, we lost tonight because your whipping boy failed to take enough shots.

It didn't have anything to do with our large number of fouls, turnovers, silly shots, poor defense, etc.

It's all on the whipping boy...

And where was that mentioned. There is enough blame to go around. i just don't have the energy to go through it.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow. I really thought us fans on this board were smarter than this. Did you miss all the posts about how tough this game was going to be?

Let me recap:
1) We always play poorly in Boulder
2) We have a whole bunch of player who haven't played at altitude before
3) They were due for a good game
4) We were due for a poor game
5) We are rebuilding and aren't as good as we looked against KU

I'll repeat what I said earlier today. Winning on the road in the big 12 is very difficult and any road win this year is just gravy.

The was nothing in this game that suprised me. Now it's time for the team and the fans to refocus and put the best show possible in Hilton on Saturday. That will be a fight too, even though KSU sucks, because we just aren't that good this year.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
Every year out there the pattern is the same. We look like we're stuck in the mud. We let them get off to a good start while we're either traveling, dribbling the ball off our foot, moving on a screen, making late silly fouls, stepping out of bounds, standing still waiting for the rebound or pass to come to us, reacting slow on defense. We let some guy who hasn't made a 3 all year shoot like an all-American. For every good play we make, we make 2 bonehead plays. We almost close the gap and then completely self-destruct. Everytime, I think it going to be different and it never is.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
There is enough blame to go around.

There is plenty to go around. Rather than single any one individual out, this was a team (lack of) effort.

Why is that that the only time the elevation seems to bother a team is when ISU is playing there?

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
That will be a fight too, even though KSU sucks, because we just aren't that good this year.

I wanted to believe we were good this year, what a story it would have been.

It's by no means over, but I have definitely been brought back down to earth (like so many times before), and I have that familiar feeling of a boot to the stomach to go with it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
There is plenty to go around. Rather than single any one individual out, this was a team (lack of) effort.

Exactly my point.

Perhaps we aught to start chalking up our record each year before the season as 0-1 - nearly guaranteeing a loss at Colorado. Dammit.

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
Wow. I really thought us fans on this board were smarter than this. Did you miss all the posts about how tough this game was going to be?

Let me recap:
1) We always play poorly in Boulder
2) We have a whole bunch of player who haven't played at altitude before
3) They were due for a good game
4) We were due for a poor game
5) We are rebuilding and aren't as good as we looked against KU

I'll repeat what I said earlier today. Winning on the road in the big 12 is very difficult and any road win this year is just gravy.

The was nothing in this game that suprised me. Now it's time for the team and the fans to refocus and put the best show possible in Hilton on Saturday. That will be a fight too, even though KSU sucks, because we just aren't that good this year.

Very good points. As a betting man I would have put my money on CU +4.5. But after watching the 1st half, and seeing bad how CU is, I thought there was no way we could lose. That's why I'm so disappointed.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Exactly my point.

Perhaps we aught to start chalking up our record each year before the season as 0-1 - nearly guaranteeing a loss at Colorado. Dammit.

I know. It just makes me crazy. I understand losing in Lawrence or Stillwater but I can not for the life of me understand the annual struggle in BOULDER? I thought ISU gave a brilliant and gritty performance on Saturday and then they follow it with this? Sickening. I can handle losing games when the effort is there, it wasn't there tonight.

Frustrated. Still a Cyclone. Always a Cyclone. Even when it's not good for my health (like tonight) :wink0st:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron