ISU Student and Champion Golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena Murdered at Coldwater Golf Course

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Personal attacks aside. Naivety aside.

Without question, had Celia known that (some small amount of) vigilance was required, on that golf course at that moment, she would be alive today. No, she did not know. Had she known, she would have been watchful. She would have used all her earthly power and weapons at hand. To SCREAM, TO RUN, To FOIL her attacker.

Yeah, this is why my routine is practice swing, practice swing, set up, waggle, check for threats, hit drive. :rolleyes:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Personal attacks aside. Naivety aside.

Without question, had Celia known that (some small amount of) vigilance was required, on that golf course at that moment, she would be alive today. No, she did not know. Had she known, she would have been watchful. She would have used all her earthly power and weapons at hand. To SCREAM, TO RUN, To FOIL her attacker.
Just keep on digging. Should I send our company lowboy with an excavator to help you out? You calling me naive is actually hilarious with the tin foil hat you're rocking.

This is a tragedy. It's a horrible event. To sit and question every little thing about it is a waste of time because guess what? Bad **** happens and there isn't anything you can do about it. No matter what you do, you cannot eliminate everything that can go wrong. As a society do we take a lot of precautions? Yes we do. Is there any amount of precautions we can take that would eliminate the possibility of anything bad happening? Nope. Is some stupid overreaction going to fix anything? Probably not.

Every single one of us could be killed any day doing something completely mundane. It's a tragedy it happened to Celia, Mollie Tibbetts, etc. but there's nothing that can be done to eliminate all risk.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I always wonder if he thinks before he speaks. I think I know the answer to that question but you'd think someone with his experience would understand situations...

I wasn't really aware of Randy until he started exclusively covering Iowa State for the DMR. Before it became more profitable to write propaganda for the university athletic departments than reporting actual news, the writers rotated beats, so Randy was just another random reporter that I didn't care to read. I don't read the DMR, but when his articles pop up here or on other sites, I'm amazed that he is still employed. Surely the editors are aware that his writing is a flat-out embarrassment to the paper and the teams he covers? Is it strictly a seniority thing?

Randy seems like a nice guy that's doing his best, but he's on the edge of full-blown senility. And of course, he has to cover our favorite teams.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 50244 and casey1973

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I feel angry and depressed this happened to such a talented young woman who had a bright future in front of her, and I've never met her before. I can't imagine the pain her friends and family are going through.

Another story of tragic violence against a woman. It gets old hearing about this ****

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not being a golfer, ive never been on this course and I'm kind of curious about the setup there. While certainly not all homeless people are like this POS, is this golf course fenced off from the woods where that camp has been located? Satellite view looks like they fence off the west portion near ISU property and then sort of use the woods as a natural barrier elsewhere. Guessing that might change just as a measure to make people feel safer.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Something I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up is that an elementary school was only a few hundred feet away from where this happened. My mom works at Ames Christian School, where there are around 75 preschool/elementary students, within earshot of the 9th hole. I talked with her today and the teachers and parents are horrified this happened basically right in the school's backyard. I'm not sure where the homeless needs to be moved, but I'm sure those parents are going to make sure it isn't anywhere near where dozens of school children spend 7 hours a day.

• Informative
Reactions: The_Architect

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Not being a golfer, ive never been on this course and I'm kind of curious about the setup there. While certainly not all homeless people are like this POS, is this golf course fenced off from the woods where that camp has been located? Satellite view looks like they fence off the west portion near ISU property and then sort of use the woods as a natural barrier elsewhere. Guessing that might change just as a measure to make people feel safer.
It would be hard to fence off since there's a bike path that goes right through there

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Something I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up is that an elementary school was only a few hundred feet away from where this happened. My mom works at Ames Christian School, where there are around 75 preschool/elementary students, within earshot of the 9th hole. I talked with her today and the teachers and parents are horrified this happened basically right in the school's backyard. I'm not sure where the homeless needs to be moved, but I'm sure those parents are going to make sure it isn't anywhere near where dozens of school children spend 7 hours a day.

Lots of kids in the apartments next door to that (Laverne) as well as those are income restricted so a good number of young and\or single parents living there.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, this is why my routine is practice swing, practice swing, set up, waggle, check for threats, hit drive. :rolleyes:

When I am on the tee box with driver in hand I may very well be the threat to anyone in a 180 degree arc in front of me. You were warned just in case a wild shot comes near by.

Sep 5, 2017
Omaha
why are these dregs to society even allowed to walk amungst us?/?
Surely between the golf course and Ames PD they knew about this homeless camp.....Send them along their way...aboslutely no contribution to society by these people....its time for more tough love and not coddling to the same ole mental health excuse.....frustrated!!!!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
why are these dregs to society even allowed to walk amungst us?/?
Surely between the golf course and Ames PD they knew about this homeless camp.....Send them along their way...aboslutely no contribution to society by these people....its time for more tough love and not coddling to the same ole mental health excuse.....frustrated!!!!

Send them where? Boone?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

I've not been there either but if a course has the choice between woods/Creek and a fence you pick woods 10/10 times.