ISU players love T.J.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I want to point out, the only bad year he has had is a year of a pandemic. Not only was it during a pandemic, he had a team with six freshman. So not only are those freshmen adjusting to college basketball, they are doing so with limited practices and limited time with their teammates. If you want to judge the man on numbers and information, take that into account too. He also came out and said this year was a bad year to do that because of the pandemic. Look at other schools that rely on freshmen this year. Duke and Kentucky. Weird, they struggled too. I'm not comparing TJ to Coach K or Calipari, but we know they aren't bad coaches because of a bad year where things weren't normal.

There is a lot of ignorance on this board, TJ is a better hire than people think. Too many people on here think they know more information than the AD who focuses on this for a living and has a hell of a lot more invested than any of us.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Sure, he went 70-33 in his first job, including two trips to the NCAA tournament
He also went 35-11 in conference

At UNLV, he had a winning first season and finished 2nd in league but it was a roster that he wanted to change to fit his style.....so some players left so that he could bring in his type of players

So heading into his third season next year he would have had ALL FIVE top scorers returning, including All-League player Bryce Hamilton, who will be a pro in two years, and has really developed nicely under T.J. and along with all of his top players returning, he has two-high level freshman (4-star) coming in next year and few other solid recruits......

Not bad for heading into year three with all your studs coming back and a great recruiting class......I have never said that T.J. is the greatest head coach but I do feel he'll be a good hire for ISU.....I believe in the guy.....maybe I'll be proven wrong.....hope I'm not......

Ok...I get you have a thing for TJ but don’t use his record in a garbage conference to prop him up. Prohm was 101-29 at Murray State and 54-10 in conference. That obviously means jack ****.

Prohm also recruited nba players. Clearly also means jack ****.

If TJ hires an all star staff I can see this working out, otherwise I see Prohm 2.0 but will get a longer leash if he is failing because he is buddies with Jamie. You already have Jamie making excuses for him with that video the other day by saying something like it’s not going to be a quick fix.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just do not see it.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I want to point out, the only bad year he has had is a year of a pandemic. Not only was it during a pandemic, he had a team with six freshman. So not only are those freshmen adjusting to college basketball, they are doing so with limited practices and limited time with their teammates. If you want to judge the man on numbers and information, take that into account too. He also came out and said this year was a bad year to do that because of the pandemic. Look at other schools that rely on freshmen this year. Duke and Kentucky. Weird, they struggled too. I'm not comparing TJ to Coach K or Calipari, but we know they aren't bad coaches because of a bad year where things weren't normal.

There is a lot of ignorance on this board, TJ is a better hire than people think. Too many people on here think they know more information than the AD who focuses on this for a living and has a hell of a lot more invested than any of us.
Ultimately, if you look at him v. the coach we just fired, many of the concerns most legitimately have with Prohm as a head coach are ones that appear as though they could be applicable to TJ (simply kept the ball rolling for prior successful coach(es), has never resuscitated a program, shaky with Xs & Os...) Now, TJ has a better feel coming in for Ames, the MW, and P5 as an assistant, but if we could have Prohm back with all those things, do we think he'd be much better?

That may be unfair to TJ, but that's what I think the big concern is. Add onto that the fact that his UNLV tenure is uneven, at best, and that it appears - maybe too early for them to have judged - that they'd be happy to see him leave, and it's a bit hard to jump up and down for.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ultimately, if you look at him v. the coach we just fired, many of the concerns most legitimately have with Prohm as a head coach are ones that appear as though they could be applicable to TJ (simply kept the ball rolling for prior successful coach(es), has never resuscitated a program, shaky with Xs & Os...) Now, TJ has a better feel coming in for Ames, the MW, and P5 as an assistant, but if we could have Prohm back with all those things, do we think he'd be much better?

That may be unfair to TJ, but that's what I think the big concern is. Add onto that the fact that his UNLV tenure is uneven, at best, and that it appears - maybe too early for them to have judged - that they'd be happy to see him leave, and it's a bit hard to jump up and down for.
What the heck. Being reasonable and logical...weird. :)

Reactions: carvers4math

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

Correct on maintaining, he also got second in his first year in the mountain west taking over a gutted team. He has a lot better record as an assistant that Prohm did. Prohm only worked under Billy Kennedy. Otz has served under multiple head coaches and the juco ranks. He has connections all over the place where Prohm only had connections to the southeast. Their histories are not remotely close.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Correct on maintaining, he also got second in his first year in the mountain west taking over a gutted team. He has a lot better record as an assistant that Prohm did. Prohm only worked under Billy Kennedy. Otz has served under multiple head coaches and the juco ranks. He has connections all over the place where Prohm only had connections to the southeast. Their histories are not remotely close.
Technically he got fourth his first year as there was a 3 way tie and they had the worst overall record. And the roster didn’t necessarily need to be gutted. They were pretty decent the prior year and had plenty of guys that would have been returning. I don’t buy the had to clean house narrative.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Technically he got fourth his first year as there was a 3 way tie and they had the worst overall record. And the roster didn’t necessarily need to be gutted. They were pretty decent the prior year and had plenty of guys that would have been returning. I don’t buy the had to clean house narrative.
Exactly this. There is always some level of attrition with coaching changes, too. It's another "reason" for his record being below what we would expect from a MWC HC making the jump to the B12 that doesn't really hold much water.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think it is pretty funny that the people trying to sell TJ think they know more than the ADs and fan bases for all the other open jobs, where TJ isn’t even mentioned.

I would feel a lot better if he was coming off of a couple good seasons at SDSU post Daum. As it stands he walked into a great spot in SDSU and kept it rolling. That’s a big plus. Then he leaves as the best Summit league player probably ever graduates.

He takes over a team that was 11-7 in the league and has been mediocre. Actually he has the worst winning percentage in school history for any coach that has coached a full season. Maybe he would have or will win next year. I get that it’s a tough year for Freshmen, but his best player is a third year guy and he brought in the best recruiting class in the conference by a wide margin. And before we get pumped about recruiting classes, it’s important to note that in peak Fred and Prohm years UNLV destroyed ISU in recruiting rankings. If you are a coach at UNLV you will have great recruiting classes.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Ok...I get you have a thing for TJ but don’t use his record in a garbage conference to prop him up. Prohm was 101-29 at Murray State and 54-10 in conference. That obviously means jack ****.

Prohm also recruited nba players. Clearly also means jack ****.

If TJ hires an all star staff I can see this working out, otherwise I see Prohm 2.0 but will get a longer leash if he is failing because he is buddies with Jamie. You already have Jamie making excuses for him with that video the other day by saying something like it’s not going to be a quick fix.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just do not see it.

So. If (big if) TJ comes on and has a rough time.

Doomsday would be here.

Since Larry:
Morgan
McDermott
Fred
The Nice Guy
TJ

That would take the program from 2003 - unknown. A generation with one successful coach who couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Armageddon

• Dumb
Reactions: isutrevman

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
So. If (big if) TJ comes on and has a rough time.

Doomsday would be here.

Since Larry:
Morgan
McDermott
Fred
The Nice Guy
TJ

That would take the program from 2003 - unknown. A generation with one successful coach who couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Armageddon
What does this mean? We disband the program? A little dramatic.