ISU makes Hot Clicks on SI!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think his point is not that somebody's going to search and find it on craig's list... more the fact that people email such 'funny' pictures around or send the link to spread the joke making fun of ISU.

I have to admit I mostly agree with the poster suggesting that it surely doesn't help make Iowa State seem like a great place to any potential students or student athletes.

Honestly... anybody who wants to poach one of our recruits... the coach might as well just print off the craig's list picture and show a recruit and say... like Iowa State because they play Big 12 competition... well... not for long.

Nobody other than us realize we're making a joke about ourselves... others will simply just use it against us. For all I know the picture about Nebraska and 8 Apple Turnovers referring to our game against them may have been created by their own fanbase... but I see it posted here and laugh at it at Nebraska's expense.

Am I going to get super upset about this 'making fun of ISU'... no. But the guy has a valid point and I don't think he deserves to be ripped on for his very valid opinion.

You honestly think that other coaches are going to use a Craiglist ad to recruit against ISU? If a recruit falls for that ****, than she/he probably would not fit in academically at ISU in the first place.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
I have been checking the other big12 boards, some seem to think this cl is serious. of course, those are sooner and texas fans.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Did anyone even read the craigslist ad? For the most part, it pretty accurately describes things. Are we really getting mad about someone using the truth to make a funny?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As an ISU fan, yea I think it's funny. As something that is going to be viewed by people who know next to nothing about ISU nationwide because it hit 'hot clicks' it makes us look like ****.

That craigslist ad has no context, and anyone who reads it outside of someone familiar with wrnl is going to view it as funny because it makes fun of Iowa State, not necessarily in a satirical manner. It's all about the context.

Just how I feel, but all kinds of people on here complains about getting no respect and being treated like the bastard child and doormat of the Big 12. This kinda thing plays into that. It propagates the problem. I bet you the next time ISU makes ESPN for football it will show a barn and field nowhere near Jack Trice. I bet that makes people outside the ISU community think we're hicks. It's the same problem.

But obviously I'm in the minority as I've been called out as being an overly serious internet tough guy, so I'm gonna go put on my fishbowl glasses and iron my tighty whities now.

I thought most of it was pretty funny but I am not at all a fan of the riots. (I was a student during the first one and I thought they were stupid and pointless at the time.) I could have done without that part in there. I don't think that it is something anyone who repects ISU should wear as some sort of badge of honor. However, I must admit when I saw the pictures, I couldn't help but chuckle at the Mayhem sign behind the burning dumpster.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I thought the Craigslist ad was great, and I am very proud of our ability to riot. The Ames PD was the villain, not the student body, and I am proud our students stood up to them.
and d**n near got VEISHA canceled for good. Yeah, a really mature and well thought out response.:arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Someone is hatin'

isucraigslist.jpg

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
You honestly think that other coaches are going to use a Craiglist ad to recruit against ISU? If a recruit falls for that ****, than she/he probably would not fit in academically at ISU in the first place.

It was an example... if I were another coach... and I knew as much about this board as I do as a Cyclone fan. I'd absolutely point them to a bunch of links here about Cyclone fans giving into the fact that they're not going to be a BCS school anymore despite the fact that nothing has happened yet.

But if I were an Iowa or Nebraska fan... I'd prolly attach the picture to an email and send it to all of my friends... and with the way people forward funny things that make fun of your rivals... it'd spread throughout Iowa fairly well I'm sure... and I think it hurts the reputation of the school to any future students... including athletes. I'd say for certain it doesn't help the reputation... but for some (not all) it makes Iowa State seem less attractive.

Therefore... I think it's immature to act like I'm better than the guy who posted his opinion and make fun of him for being too serious.