ISR Bowl talk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When you are squeaking out come from behind wins at home against Drake and Kansas State, I think it is fair to question how good Iowa State was. The vast majority of computer metrics/rankings have Iowa substantially higher than Iowa State this season.

Also, LOL at Iowa and Iowa State being amazingly close in talent. That wasn’t true this season and hasn’t been true in quite some time, although it was closer this year than it has been over the past decade, and will probably be even closer next season with all the juniors Iowa had declare for the NFL Draft.
Purdue hasn't been ranked in 16 years and Iowa lost to them because all they did was "chuck the ball up." So I wouldn't throw stones at Kansas State.

Reactions: jmb

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Purdue hasn't been ranked in 16 years and Iowa lost to them because all they did was "chuck the ball up." So I wouldn't throw stones at Kansas State.

Purdue had a Top 20 offense this season, while Kansas State was an objectively bad team on both sides of the ball. Further, what does Purdue’s success (or lack thereof) over the past 16 seasons have to do with their performance this season- or Kansas State’s, for that matter? What a terrible post on your part.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Purdue had a Top 20 offense this season, while Kansas State was an objectively bad team on both sides of the ball. Further, what does Purdue’s success (or lack thereof) over the past 16 seasons have to do with their performance this season- or Kansas State’s, for that matter? What a terrible post on your part.
How can a mediocre Purdue have a top 20 offense in such a great defensive league? You think that a 6-7 Purdue is really any better than a 5-7 KState?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
When you are squeaking out come from behind wins at home against Drake and Kansas State, I think it is fair to question how good Iowa State was. The vast majority of computer metrics/rankings have Iowa substantially higher than Iowa State this season.

Also, LOL at Iowa and Iowa State being amazingly close in talent. That wasn’t true this season and hasn’t been true in quite some time, although it was closer this year than it has been over the past decade, and will probably be even closer next season with all the juniors Iowa had declare for the NFL Draft.

I'll stand on those two wins vs a loss to Purdue and your "squeaking" out a win vs Nebraska.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes. Purdue may have been mediocre, but Kansas State was terrible this year. Purdue was ranked nearly 20 spots higher in the Massey composite.
Good 'ol Massey. The same site that has 10 win Georgia at #5 and 10 win Texas at #15.
Oh and Miss State still ranked better than Iowa.

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Good 'ol Massey. The same site that has 10 win Georgia at #5 and 10 win Texas at #15.
Oh and Miss State still ranked better than Iowa.

Are you under the impression that bowl games are definitive proof of which team was better over the course of an entire season?

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: jmb and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So you believe that head to head match-ups prove who the better team is when both teams end up with the same record?
No, you are horrible at putting words in people's mouths, stop.

Georgia doesn't get a playoff invite, gets ******* blown up in their bowl game, and finishes #5 in their poll while Texas is #15. I find that funny.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Records speak for themselves. ISU proved how good they were over a whole season. 8-4 is 8-4 unless you have a crap schedule which ISU did not. And they proved they could hang with a NY6 level team in the bowl game.

Funny how squeaking by a 5-7 KSU team is looked down on but squeaking by a 4-8 Nebraska team is ok.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Records speak for themselves. ISU proved how good they were over a whole season. 8-4 is 8-4 unless you have a crap schedule which ISU did not. And they proved they could hang with a NY6 level team in the bowl game.

Funny how squeaking by a 5-7 KSU team is looked down on but squeaking by a 4-8 Nebraska team is ok.

Iowa dominated Nebraska for 3 quarters and let them back into the game when they went into clock-draining mode in the 4th quarter. Not even close to the same thing as Iowa State getting thoroughly outplayed by Kansas State for 50 minutes. Nice try though.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Iowa dominated Nebraska for 3 quarters and let them back into the game when they went into clock-draining mode in the 4th quarter. Not even close to the same thing as Iowa State getting thoroughly outplayed by Kansas State for 50 minutes. Nice try though.

They should probably learn to play for the entire football game. That’s sorta how that works.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and jmb

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
3 qtrs? OU vs Bama was 34-24 in that scenario after the first.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
They should probably learn to play for the entire football game. That’s sorta how that works.

No argument from me, just pointing out that equating the Iowa/Nebraska game to the ISU/KSU game is stupid. Two totally different situations.

Help Support Us

Become a patron