Isaiah Austin

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I have always liked this kid due to how quite he was, but had an overall good game. Then I seen the ESPN documentary on him, and it made me respect him that much more. I feel for him, and hopefully he can pick up a job somewhere that will allow him to stay in basketball.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Feel awful for the guy, especially after what he'd already overcome.

Glad Drew said what he did. It's getting harder and harder for me to make fun of and cheer against the guy. I'm scared I'm getting to the point that, outside of playing against ISU, I'm becomin a little bit of a Baylor basketball fan...

Drew has got his act together in the last year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Re: Baylors Austin career over

Saw his interview on ESPN, it was heart-wrenching stuff. I can't even imagine thinking about going for playing in the NBA, making millions to never playing again and being worried about your long term health in the course of one phone call. I hope Baylor treats the kid right and finds him a spot as a GA or something.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011

Uh..... if something happened two days ago I'd venture to guess it was already posted and discussed on here

In other news......Sorry to report the passing of Hank Gathers during a game last night for Loyola Marymount.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014

Very sad for him. Though I didn't enjoy him while he was playing us, can't help but cheer for any former big 12 players in the pros.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

Of all the players around the Big 12 this past season....Austin is the one guy in the league that I thought would be dominant beyond insanity if he was on the Cyclones. His size, shot blocking prowess, and ability to run the floor and shoot some 3's. Cyclones would have destroyed fools with him on the floor.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I thought he was a pretty classy dude. Hate to hear this news. Wonder why they won't let him play? He obviously can play at a high level even with the condition.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011

I thought he was a pretty classy dude. Hate to hear this news. Wonder why they won't let him play? He obviously can play at a high level even with the condition.

I think one of the effects of the disease is an enlarged heart....which for basketball players is somewhat common.....so cant really keep playing with that.

It is a shame.....good kid...sounds like Scott Drew wants to do everything he can to take care of him possibly putting him on staff in some capacity.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Sounds like he took $1 million insurance policy during Baylor days for things like this. At least he can continue with his education and $1 million for his future.

Sad to hear how his career ended.

JMCato

Nov 21, 2011
Ankeny, IA
www.flickr.com
When I was a sophomore in high school my doctor wouldn't clear me for sports cause he thought I might have the same thing. After a bunch of echocardiograms they decided that I just had an enlarged aortic root and since I was like 6' 135 at the time they said as I gained weight it would move more in to the "normal" range.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
When I was a sophomore in high school my doctor wouldn't clear me for sports cause he thought I might have the same thing. After a bunch of echocardiograms they decided that I just had an enlarged aortic root and since I was like 6' 135 at the time they said as I gained weight it would move more in to the "normal" range.
I'm sort of in the same boat. Got tested after freshman year of undergrad after a dermatologist thought I was peculiar, musculoskeletally speaking. The genetic tests came back negative, but the echo put me borderline for an enlarged aortic root.

I know it hurts Austin now, but I'm super glad he's still alive, to be honest. He's lucky to have been able to play healthfully for as long as he did. I actually started to get really suspicious when the story came out about his eye, knowing that detached retinas are a symptom of Marfan syndrome. In fact, it really bothers me that he wasn't tested before, because just looking at him, it seems like something that should have been done. I truly hope this is a case where he fell through the cracks and not some sort of deal where doctors were told to look past the signs (slight hunch, huge wingspan, long and skinny, detached retina for cryin out loud) just because he was a good athlete. Other athletes with the syndrome have died to ruptured aortas while playing because they were never diagnosed.