Isaiah Austin

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
He likely is majoring in general studies or communications since he assumed he would go pro.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Refresh my memory...what happened?
They were tauting the student section he whole game, then dipped out in the second half when we started winning. We started chanting **** the track team at halftime.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
When I was in High School a doctor thought I had Marfan's syndrome. They immediately pulled me out of gym until they got it figured out. I had to go to Mayo and go through a couple days worth of tests. Ultimately they concluded I didn't have it. It was kind of a weird experience.

I feel terrible for him. I never had a problem with him as a player. He seemed like a good guy.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I would hope, and expect, Fred will reach out to him. He has personally been in a very similar situation and can probably relate better than most to getting news like this.

IIRC, there was a story a year or so ago about CFH doing exactly that for another player.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This makes me so sad. The Baylor dunkfest in the NIT has provided so many laughs. Good for Scott Drew and best wishes for Isaiah.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If I were the coach, I'd just pay it myself. I won't knock Scott Drew if he doesn't. That's just what I would do.

The CBS story: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...d-with-marfan-syndrome-basketball-career-over

What an incredibly rough break for someone who seems like a good guy.

That kinda what I meant by my orig post, he may not e able to as former athletes cannot receive benefits, etc.

I agree with othe posters, Scott Drew has been classy to us lately and it is difficult not to cheer for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoOrDie

Nov 3, 2010
Poor kid. Luckily, with his diagnosis, he can prevent serious complications or sudden death.

Sidebar: I work in genetics, and it's surprising the diagnosis took so long. Detached retinas are a sign of Marfan. And it's not height alone that makes one suspicious of the condition...it's body habitus. People with Marfan syndrome have different proportions.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
By doing that interview he is probably saving someone else's life who will see that and get checked.

One test they do to check is to fold your thumb into your fist. If it sticks out the other side it is representative of those who have Marfan's.

Marfan_thumb_sign.png

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Poor kid. Luckily, with his diagnosis, he can prevent serious complications or sudden death.

Sidebar: I work in genetics, and it's surprising the diagnosis took so long. Detached retinas are a sign of Marfan. And it's not height alone that makes one suspicious of the condition...it's body habitus. People with Marfan syndrome have different proportions.

after reading the article and seeing that the "gangliness" and detached retinas are both signs........I'm pretty shocked that no one caught on to this much earlier. Someone was watching out for this kid that he hadn't had any problems so far. Seems like a nice, smart kid. Best of luck to him.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
He likely is majoring in general studies or communications since he assumed he would go pro.

You guys aren't very resourceful. He's a Finance major.
Full name is Isaiah Charles Austin ... Nickname is Zeke ... Born Oct. 25, 1993, in Fresno, Calif. ... Son of Ben and Lisa Green ... Uncle, Isaac Austin, played for seven NBA teams over nine seasons and earned NBA's 1997 Most Improved Player honor ... Finance major.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/isaiah_austin_810664.html