Is Wrestling Boring?

• Politics and In-State Rivals Threads - You will notice that you may or may not be seeing expected posts from the Politics and In-State Rivals forums.

Due to the nature of these forums, they have been changed from an opt-out to opt-in design - meaning you must opt-in to see them. Unfortunately, that only changes the default for new registrations. Your selections right now are likely not what you want.

You can opt-in/out to either the Politics or In-State Rivals Forums in your user settings (click for instructions to learn more).

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Not to insiders and aficionados, but to a potentially wider fan base? Two take downs in an entire dual? Inactivity? Per Andy Hamilton, the entertainment value is too low to garner support. I think he may be right and wonder what can be done. Take away riding points; more points for a take down; aggressive stalling calls placing more emphasis on aggressiveness; Greco Roman rules?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I never got into wrestling because I didn't understand the rules and point system. Also, having a team of individual athletes competing separately seems odd to me - much more fun to unleash 6 of them in a huge ring at the same time - last team standing wins!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If the goal is to attract new fans, then yes it's too boring. For the casual observer, it's just not a great spectator sport. The average match doesn't have enough action. Informed fans find the excitement in the sparring, but to the uninformed it looks like stalling.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Definitely not Greco rules. Lots of upper build positioning and pushing.

Not sure what needs to be done. Is RT causing more stalling on top?
Would push outs help or hurt? I think push outs from neutral position would good when an opponents leg isn't controlled.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yes, sorry. But if it makes wrestling fans feel any better, I don't think that makes it any different than most other sports past the big 2. I had friends in college make give it a chance, but I think it's just one of those things you either grow up with, or you'll never understand it well enough to enjoy it.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Wrestling needs to stop competing with college basketball, and move to being a Spring sport. You could have the NCAAs the last weekend in April, and there would be much more interest. Also, you could have a fall workout period with duals sort of like what Spring volleyball has.

And for cryin' out loud, move the Nationals around the country more (PHX, Vegas, San Fran, Portland). I like that MSG will host in a couple years.

Let's try to create some buzz among the fans before we start changing rules.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not a wrestling fan and I'm mostly bored by it, a lot of that probably just comes from the fact that I don't get the strategy or really all of the rules involved, but overall I think it's not that exciting.

SpiderClone

Jan 17, 2014
It's right down there with

tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif%26size%3D400x1000

Soccer

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
One problem is that the "two men locked in single combat" genre is done other places, and done better. MMA, boxing, etc. Wrestling looks slow, boring, and timid by comparison.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm not a wrestling fan and I'm mostly bored by it, a lot of that probably just comes from the fact that I don't get the strategy or really all of the rules involved, but overall I think it's not that exciting.

I agree. I would understand if the goal was only to pin the other guy by any legal means necessary it would make it more simple to watch.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
One problem is that the "two men locked in single combat" genre is done other places, and done better. MMA, boxing, etc. Wrestling looks slow, boring, and timid by comparison.
I agree, boxing is terrible too though.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'd rather watch women's basketball and volleyball. There is too much standing around or laying around. I wouldn't necessarily call it boring though.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah, I've been a lifetime fan of the sport. Always been around it, but I can see where others not exposed to it come from.

First, I think the singlet needs to go. Fight shorts and a tight underarmor style shirt or something to that effect I think would help participation in the schools. With more participation I think you get a wider fan base simply by informing people how things work.

I like marty's idea of shifting the season. I would be nice for the NCAAs to not compete with March Madness.

Not sure on the rules.

All that said, it's my favorite sport and that will never change. I'm all for change in order to find a way to expand the fan base though.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Yes, yes it is. I used to wrestle and understand the points system and it is still incredibly boring to watch. I put it in the same category as Golf and Baseball. All three are very fun to actually play but, watching these sports is about as boring as watching paint dry, in my opinion.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think it is, but like others have said I don't really understand the point system. And every sport is going to be boring to some people, so I don't think it's really a problem for wrestling. I also think Hamilton put too much emphasis on how wrestling is now boring as to why it was almost cut from the Olympics. He said if you take out the arrogance, disregard for public relations, and the rules, the reason the sport was almost cut was because it's becoming boring. But the arrogance and lack of public relations was at least 85% of the reason the sport was almost cut, so you can't just dismiss those reasons.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think it is. Refs are afraid to call stalling until the last 30 seconds unless it is egregious and the risk/reward of taking a shot is tilted far to much towards the defensive wrestler.

The answer to the first part doesn't require any rule changes. Just get refs to enforce the stalling rules on the books. Including when a guy is riding and not actively working to score points.

I'm not sure of the right answer to the second point. But something needs to be done to make it so shots aren't a 50/50 proposition. It's a tough answer though because you don't want to just kill scrambling. Scrambles are some of the most exciting parts of the sport. But a shot followed by 30 seconds of slow motion scrambling is just boring, and also rewards the defensive wrestler far too much.

Last edited:

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Don't post often, life long wrestler / fan. ISU season ticket holder.

I think adding freestyle out of bounds would help the scoring along and make the matches more exciting.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
First, I think the singlet needs to go. Fight shorts and a tight underarmor style shirt or something to that effect I think would help participation in the schools. With more participation I think you get a wider fan base simply by informing people how things work.

I don't think getting rid of the singlet would have much of an impact. Anybody who doesn't want to wear a singlet is going to have the same issues with wearing a rash guard. The whole point of a singlet it to not give your opponent anything to grab on to. Look at matches from decades ago and guys are just wearing a pair of tights, or shorts over a pair of tights. Singlets are a big step up from that.

I wouldn't be opposed to fight shorts and a short sleeve rash guard. I just don't think it would change much. A lot of wrestlers are wearing that in practice already.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron